IGNORED

Where should I look for a pro controller?

babrasch

Holy smokes and that's an unfinished auction for a used one! Does look very lightly used tho so that's good. Prolly end even higher with 18 bidders going at it like a pack of rabid hyenas ripping apart a gazelle. lol. All the articles on the net tell how bad the Jaguar is and how lame the controllers are but the Jag still flys in the retrogamers' eyes, huh! ;)

Simply because 1994's dust has now settled and nobody cares if the Jag can, or can't compete, with the PSX or SAT anymore.

Plus, it's almost common knowledge, like it is now with the 32X & 3DO, that there ARE decent games to be enjoyed on this platform. Granted, nobody wanted to be paying RRP's for Super Burnout and Ultra Vortek on Jag when Tekken & Ridge Racer existed for PS1, but it's no longer relative 20 years later. People have segregated the Jag as it's own thing and are happy to mark it on it's own merits today, which, objectively speaking, IS the most important thing, right now.

No one, logically speaking, in 2015, really cares if the Jag *could* have potentially competed, because history is now written and, it most certainly didn't compete. Which, to reiterate again, is now irrelevant (vs historic curiosity).

And that is exactly what the Jaguar now is, in many eyes; a historic gaming curiosity - educating the uninitiated in equal measure of pleasantly surprised and horror!

• Like 9

Another vote for overrated. I've owned a couple and honestly think they are no better than the standard; in fact, I actually find the thicker standard controller feels more comfy in my mitts. The button action didn't seem much different to me from the standard, and the shoulder buttons were not much use in the majority of games.

If you can find one cheap, it might be worth it, but I certainly wouldn't pay 3 digit prices for one.

The Pro Controller isn't over rated. It is definitely a step up from the standard controller. The d-pad is way better and IMO almost as good as the Saturn D-pad, which is considered the best for that gen. Having six face buttons is nice for some fighting games and some of the later releases that support the Pro Controller.

Is the Pro Controller worth $200 - $300? Hell no! But I do think it's worth $70 - $100, especially if you play the Jaguar extensively.

From worst to best:

Grey Atari Power Pad<launch Jag Pad w/short cord<Jag Pad<Pro Controller

• Like 5

Yeah, I guess that's it Neo, no-one's really judging it against the PS1/Saturn/3DO anymore. With its commercial life being so long ago and even tho the internet is still filled with "everything Jaguar is the worst of 'em all" articles, the retrogaming spike the past few years enhanced because of readily available youtube videos for all games of all retro systems allows new vintage gaming fans, curious people to see it in action. Also, realizing Atari was a big name that started the industy off has yes, allowed it to be taken as is on its own merits, making it more popular today than ever really in its post-commerical life. Thus the high prices we are seeing on ebay lately.

I've got a pro controller (no box though) that I'll sell for $75 shipped in the U.S. Haven't played my Jag in years so I'd rather someone here get it at the price I paid than resort to Ebay.

PM sent (with request of how I should pay :cool: )

I was talking to my brother about retro gaming and the Jaguar a few days ago. We casually looked at eBay for game prices, and to my surprise, I saw the crazy prices for these controllers!

I bought mine back around 2003, after pining over one for years. After taking it out of the box, I was immediately disappointed. The D-pad is better, the buttons feel nice, and I like the way it's built, but it just seemed to lose all appeal; go figure.
In last few years, I've been selling off my videogame collection (Panzer Dragoon Saga and Hagane are some highlights), but I've resisted selling my Jaguar stuff. I think I'll make an exception for this one.
I thought I would give everyone here a shot at it first before I put it on eBay (I wouldn't have found a lot of my Jaguar stuff without Atari Age people!). ‎If anyone is interested, I have used it literally one time, and have brought it out occasionally only to show friends my collection. I have the box, the original plastic, and everything else that came with it.
I'm willing to give a discount from the eBay fees I would pay as a seller. Market rate seems to be $230 so minus 8-12% fees from that (can't remember offhand). PM me for details. Thanks everyone!‎

I was talking to my brother about retro gaming and the Jaguar a few days ago. We casually looked at eBay for game prices, and to my surprise, I saw the crazy prices for these controllers!

I bought mine back around 2003, after pining over one for years. After taking it out of the box, I was immediately disappointed. The D-pad is better, the buttons feel nice, and I like the way it's built, but it just seemed to lose all appeal; go figure.
In last few years, I've been selling off my videogame collection (Panzer Dragoon Saga and Hagane are some highlights), but I've resisted selling my Jaguar stuff. I think I'll make an exception for this one.
I thought I would give everyone here a shot at it first before I put it on eBay (I wouldn't have found a lot of my Jaguar stuff without Atari Age people!). ‎If anyone is interested, I have used it literally one time, and have brought it out occasionally only to show friends my collection. I have the box, the original plastic, and everything else that came with it.
I'm willing to give a discount from the eBay fees I would pay as a seller. Market rate seems to be $230 so minus 8-12% fees from that (can't remember offhand). PM me for details. Thanks everyone!‎

4 posts above yours, 3 days ago... one sold for $75.

$75.

See ya.

• Like 5

Hi, I arrived at $230 because that was how much the controller on eBay sold for. Minus eBay fees, I'm asking for around $200.

Bigferret is very generous! Also mine is mint, has the box, and everything that came in the box (the box does have a dent in it from shipping though).

If anyone wants pictures let me know and I'll post them up here.

Just thought I'd add that I'm willing to listen to all reasonable offers, based on sold item price on eBay.

Edited by Jaguarandine

How are you circle strafing in AVP without being a yoga master?

If I understood it right from the walkthrough you strafe with Y and Z above the B fire button. You can circle strafe Y or Z together with the left or right on the d-pad around corners and stuff until you have lured the aliens to the right spot to take them down. Now not strafing just standing still or backing up shooting. By this tactic you can easier avoid them, and damage, and place their acid splashes where you like them. No circle strafing + shooting that is NO NO. Need PC keyboard for THAT!

EDIT: when I think of it you can at the same time hold down the B button together with one strafe button, both with you thumb, so yes you can with some little yoga tech get it to work, circle strafing and shooting at the same time. He does that in the video when I think of it.

play forward to 1 min 00 sec for some yoga skills!

Edited by Atlantis

• 3 weeks later...

B&C = myatari.com

Also on eBay under myatari.

Both Brad @ best & Bruce at B&C claim to be out of pro controllers, but allegedly they both have pallets of stuff that has yet to be broken down so it's possible they might come across some more