IGNORED

Rolling Thunder & 720

Linndrum

The only "lost" game that I'm really interested in at this point is Metal Mutant, because we know that it was complete and also because I've never seen a screenshot of it even though it was publicly demoed. It's nice to have closure on the entire Rolling Thunder thing, though.

Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 1

I think I built that game up to be more than I I should have. I was hoping for a really good game. There are good parts to it, however, it is a buggy game that is not fully complete. It is more than a demo, but still an unfinished and unpolished game.

Well, it's the full game, just with the possibility for a game crashing bug (I've played a full game with no crash, but I've also played games where I experienced a crash). Also once in awhile i believe I've heard the announcer trigger the wrong announcement. Personally I think they did a great job getting the arcade game on the Lynx but agree that some bug fixes are required for it to be a finished game. I know you say "it's more than a demo," but personally I'd treat it as a demo with a 50/50 possibility of completion :P Working on some Jaguar releases now but maybe soon I should check and see what the odds of a complete game are and what actually triggers the crash.

& I think that PSP guy kinda hyped up RP and EOTB to a point that neither game could have lived up to the expectations of what actually came about even if they were 10x better than their original counterparts :lol: - most of it happened before I participated in the lynx forums but I read a few of his posts back when we found our games.

Edited by Willard

The RP game was really hyped. I recall playing it a few times and runs didn't score correctly. To me, that type of "glitch" means the games was unplayable. Wasn't there also a glitch where if you scored ten runs or something, it would only show a score of 0 and you'd lose, even though you really won?

It was an ambitious project, I'll agree it's more than a demo, but it was unfinished/unpolished.

EOTB did meet my expectations and actually surpassed them with its gameplay, depth and being fully complete. It has the bonus quests built into the game just like the SNES version. I never expected that. I think it's a difference of opinion on the two games. Me being a huge baseball fan, growing up and playing games like RBI Baseball and Baseball All Stars, spoiled me. This one left me flat

I just looked back on my old notes and played the game a bit last night and remembered the game doesn’t crash – just the possibility of seeing a bug that might interfere with the game a little. Set my Lynx aside to the McWill LCD mod and…. still haven’t gotten to it :P

Anyway, my comment was just intended to draw a distinction between the game and the fact that you might experience a bug, not disagreeing that they exist in the game. I don’t think they interfere with the ability to see that it’s a nice conversion that simply needed a few bug fixes (great graphics, gameplay, sound, extensive use of digitized speech).

If people are aware (as it was noted when the game was released) they can decide whether they are bothered by them. Personally I consider them minor and infrequent and usually only occur in the 9 innings mode.

As an unreleased game I don’t really see the basis for any previous hype or expectation. A complete game with the exception of a few bugs is pretty good for something that wasn’t ready for retail imo. As somebody who had no knowledge of the game prior to discovery I was really impressed with it

We did a two-player multiplayer a few times over here (which was probably the Central Europe Relief Pitcher Lynx Multiplayer Premiere, ha!), it was definitely well playable and the only crash I remember was at the end when the newspaper came up. Worked all very fine otherwise :) apart from that i mainly remember that the vocal comments regarding my comlynxer came out off HIS Lynx and the one regarding my player came from MINE, which is somehow odd when you sit against opposite walls in a room.

Hmm... I suppose I should have played it a bit more. I'll fire up the ROM and try it out again. I recall it being annoying enough I deemed it not worth playing after s period of time.

I did NOT play multiplayer. That likely could have changed my opinion! I'll give it s shot again.

I haven't played multiplayer either, I only have one lynx and have never even met someone who had one :( A lot of my friends were impressed with the Lynx when I first got it though, but by then Atari wasn't supporting it anymore.

That's cool to know Relief Pitcher plays a pretty decent multiplayer game, I wondered if the comlynx mode even worked :P

@Tempest the ROM was not released, it was intended to remain in stock which hasn't really gone according to plan but it will hopefully be available again soon (been alternating progress between our 7800 / Lynx / Jaguar projects lately).

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hey you guys, check out the 720 music in this youtube vid, it's from a cassette on a mag cover: 

It has samples in it that you don't hear in the arcade game, I hear a crash cymbal and digitized toms/snare used a lot. I haven't played the actual arcade unit in a long time, does the drum samples play in the arcade game? I definitely never hear it in emulation. Check out 2:40 for a good example!

Edited by Linndrum