IGNORED

Remember that feeling of community back in the BBS days?

Omega-TI

Some of you probably called and used Bulletin Board Systems back in the day. Remember that feeling of community, how you 'got to know' the people you hung out with every day? Do you remember that sense of 'loss' when the big old impersonal Internet came in, took over, and the local BBS's started going down one by one, until there were none?

Our little TI enclave here on Atari Age is like the old BBS communities in so many respects, only BETTER. We have so many people dedicated and focused on one little machine, many of them have so much talent that it boggles the mind. We have new hardware in the pipeline, new software cartridges, awesome new games, new ideas, new online classes and even a dedicated newsletter! We come here daily and we have a great time... it's like a daily party!

As I get older, I look back fondly on my 'early day's of computing' and realize, I'm having as much fun now, if not more, than I ever had in the past.

So in closing, enjoy the day and....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0uVwVUVsbY

• Like 3

I don't agree with your assessment of the Atariage TI group. Back in the Compuserve and BBS days, EVERYTHING was positive and exciting. All the interactions I remember were in a positive vein.

I've noticed that the younger generation of TI'ers here has become disrespectful of the long-timers and of each other. Surely you've noticed that being the same approximate age as me. Inconsideration of constructive criticism and pooh-poohing of legitimate suggestions is commonplace now where it was unheard of in the past. I've experienced it firsthand several times here now, but I do have to admit it is limited to a few hard-heads that just have general societal issues.

But yeah, this is a pretty good place. :)

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

Hi,

in my opinion, disrespect is an almost global problem today, in most societies, all over the world. Sad story.

The whole world has massively changed since "then", and is changing faster and faster.

As the "respect" was a break to all of that (disrespect) in former times, its absence now is accelerating it more and more today.

And the internet also works on that, showing and spreading this disrespect and lack of understanding, mainly between the generations.

But look at the youth today.... what could we offer them, what they already don´t have or don´t know ?

I think that is no real "fault", as it´s just a part of the progress, but we have to handle it, in any way....

maybe we have to prevent from overstimulation ? but how.... :)

I don't agree with your assessment of the Atariage TI group. Back in the Compuserve and BBS days, EVERYTHING was positive and exciting. All the interactions I remember were in a positive vein.

I've noticed that the younger generation of TI'ers here has become disrespectful of the long-timers and of each other. Surely you've noticed that being the same approximate age as me. Inconsideration of constructive criticism and pooh-poohing of legitimate suggestions is commonplace now where it was unheard of in the past. I've experienced it firsthand several times here now, but I do have to admit it is limited to a few hard-heads that just have general societal issues.

Gazoo

Well.

When the community was much smaller, like those of us who frequented BBS's, we were more likely to find other people with similar mindsets and goals. You pretty much HAD to be a certain type of person to even know how to get on a BBS, let alone find it interesting enough to stick around and be part of the community. The difference today is that the pool of people is much larger with a much, much lower barrier to entry. This creates greater opportunities for discussions and ideas, but also greater opportunities for completely "alien" discussions and ideas.

Really, on average, it's no better or worse today, just different. Of course, as many of us get older, we'll become less tolerant of change and more reflective of how much "better" things used to be way back when (as of course, memories tend to focus mostly on the positives rather than all the negatives). Every generation goes through that as it ages, looking down on the new generation, etc. (and they'll in turn do the same as they age). Personally, I try to be mindful of falling into that trap and fully embrace the new while remembering the old (and trying to remember both the good and the bad). I know here on AtariAge opinions are fairly divided in that regard, however, with some really, really hating the new way of doing things (social media, digital downloads, etc.) and some others more or less freely moving on with the times.

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 5

When the community was much smaller, like those of us who frequented BBS's, we were more likely to find other people with similar mindsets and goals. You pretty much HAD to be a certain type of person to even know how to get on a BBS, let alone find it interesting enough to stick around and be part of the community. The difference today is that the pool of people is much larger with a much, much lower barrier to entry. This creates greater opportunities for discussions and ideas, but also greater opportunities for completely "alien" discussions and ideas.

Really, on average, it's no better or worse today, just different. Of course, as many of us get older, we'll become less tolerant of change and more reflective of how much "better" things used to be way back when (as of course, memories tend to focus mostly on the positives rather than all the negatives). Every generation goes through that as it ages, looking down on the new generation, etc. (and they'll in turn do the same as they age). Personally, I try to be mindful of falling into that trap and fully embrace the new while remembering the old (and trying to remember both the good and the bad). I know here on AtariAge opinions are fairly divided in that regard, however, with some really, really hating the new way of doing things (social media, digital downloads, etc.) and some others more or less freely moving on with the times.

What she said.

;)

Yes this was true. And it applied to every micro. Today, not so much.

There are several people here on Atari Age people who shouldn't have computers to begin with. They're inept and rude and don't have their corners nicely rounded.

Some of you probably called and used Bulletin Board Systems back in the day. Remember that feeling of community, how you 'got to know' the people you hung out with every day? Do you remember that sense of 'loss' when the big old impersonal Internet came in, took over, and the local BBS's started going down one by one, until there were none?

Our little TI enclave here on Atari Age is like the old BBS communities in so many respects, only BETTER. We have so many people dedicated and focused on one little machine, many of them have so much talent that it boggles the mind. We have new hardware in the pipeline, new software cartridges, awesome new games, new ideas, new online classes and even a dedicated newsletter! We come here daily and we have a great time... it's like a daily party!

As I get older, I look back fondly on my 'early day's of computing' and realize, I'm having as much fun now, if not more, than I ever had in the past.

So in closing, enjoy the day and....

Yup. Remember calling the Diversi-Dial multi-line stuff. Ward Christensen's BBS, all the user group stuff, all that. Great times indeed. I would hesitate to extend that to today's message boards, AtariAge or not.

It's not the idyllic microcosm you'd like to think. I mean, like, you can think of it that way if you want to. Who's to stop you?

Maybe the TI community is better than some of the others. I don't know. I only have a passing interest in the system. I know some other communities that are real pieces and full of the most twisted individuals you'll ever meet. And they go far beyond basic mental illness. Completely out of line.

There are several people here on Atari Age people who shouldn't have computers to begin with. They're inept and rude and don't have their corners nicely rounded.

Yes, some people can appear to be a little inept, but I tend to overlook that. I remember when I got back into the TI after a multi-decade absence I had forgotten so much! I can only imagine how someone feels who has never had a TI before in their life. For example, to this day, I still don't know how to load a simple program from a Commodore disk drive. I can only imagine the laughs that would induce if I went over there and asked that question! :grin:

About that rude bit... we are all human and imperfect. It's generally wise to over look the passing rude or offensive comments. Sadly, when it becomes a repeated thing and it get's really offensive, I've been known to be rather blunt, and uncharitable in response. Not my finest moments to be sure.

Yup. Remember calling the Diversi-Dial multi-line stuff. Ward Christensen's BBS, all the user group stuff, all that. Great times indeed. I would hesitate to extend that to today's message boards, AtariAge or not.

It's not the idyllic microcosm you'd like to think. I mean, like, you can think of it that way if you want to. Who's to stop you?

I guess you hung out on some higher-class BBS systems than I had access to! ;) I remember some major FLAME-WARZ on the old "Fight-O-Net" (Fidonet) systems. Man, I seriously thought a couple of guys were gonna kill each other. Compared to that, the TI-Section of Atari Age is rather tame. In fact, now that I think about it, its been downright pleasant lately.

• Like 1

Gazoo

I hope I'm considered one of the disrespectful, younger generation. ;)

• Like 1

Throughout the life course, there are social problems associated with different ages. One such social problem is age discrimination.

ref.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_issue#Age_and_the_life_course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism

;)

• Like 1

I hope I'm considered one of the disrespectful, younger generation. ;)

No, you're good. You're an honorable individual, kudos to you. :)

It's really only 2 specific individuals that have exhibited the behavior I described.

They know who they are. ;)

Gazoo

EDIT: Revelation - seems like there's 2 of them in every group. I wonder if that's a requirement of having a group? The old Yahoo group had Eric and Erik. ;)

Edited by Gazoo