IGNORED

midi module or synthesizer connected to the TI-99/4A

Dexter

Who owns a new or old midi module or synthesizer, and has connected it to his TI-99/4A or other home computer.

Which module / synthesizer
Which interface, how connected
Which software

• Around 1988 I had a Roland D10,
  • Connected through a CLAB MIDI interface
  • Software was Supertrack 64.

The TI software to use with MIDI is called MIDI Master. It requires a special cable connected to the RS-232 card (it came with the software when originally sold, but I think the pinout for it is readily available).

I haven't found anything on the net regarding software or hardware information. I'm totally blank on that subject, except for that I recognize the name MIDI Master 99. Do you have any link or other info you could upload? So some sort of cable is connected to the serial port, AND might be incompattible with the nanoPEB?

Midi Master 99

gallery_29515_833_59252.jpg

Casiotione MT-540

Casio_MT-540.jpeg

Easy Peasy midi cable from RS232 to keyboard, only 2 signal wires plus ground. If you're really interested I can use a meter to find out the pinouts.

Gazoo

1997, that looks like a pretty recent version. Thanks for the offer Gazoo, if noone comes up with a schematic or something, measuring the pinouts would be a last resort to find out.

I haven't found anything on the net regarding software or hardware information. I'm totally blank on that subject, except for that I recognize the name MIDI Master 99. Do you have any link or other info you could upload? So some sort of cable is connected to the serial port, AND might be incompattible with the nanoPEB?

...so here´s just what I found quickly, maybe there is something you can use to enter the topic...

but it is software only, by random, absolutely nothing about schematics or hardware...

MIDI.BAKs.zip

https://ia700702.us.archive.org/22/items/asgard-news-v2-n3/Asgard_v2_3.pdf

Found this among other Asgard newsletters.

However, not much wiser about the cable, so I'd definitely like you to measure the cable, Gazoo. But there must be some kind of level conversion from RS323 to TTL.

However, no hurry. :)

DIN 5 (midi) RS232 (TI)

------------ ----------

2 1

4 3

5 7

Pretty simple cable.

I'm not sure if I have the original disks, the version I use has been on my hard drive for like forever.

I can try and make a program disk from it if you guys are really interested.

Gazoo

• Like 3

Thank you sir!

I don't think you would need to build a disk because the latest upload of Asgard stuff included midimaster disks.

thanks go to Ralf for that one.

-Ralph.

I wasn't aware that Asgard had anything to do with the software.

I purchased it from Cecure, and I just found my original disks.

Are they Bruce Harrison's disks? His version had a lot of improvements.

Midi Album is the best of them, it requires a Supercart or comparable (I wrote a program to autoload it in to the HSGPL). It allows you to select a playlist and listen to hours of TI Midi stuff (you probably need a hard drive for hours of music, though).

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

The Asgard version was the one Mike Maksimik did--before Bruce Harrison got his mitts onto it (and IIRC, added support for the SAMS card to it, among all of his other tweaks and improvements).

The disks I purchased from Cecure are the original version by Mike Maksimik.

I got the Bruce Harrison version from him at a Lima Fair. They had handwritten labels, I may still be able to find them.

Gazoo

DIN 5 (midi) RS232 (TI)

------------ ----------

2 1

4 3

5 7

Pretty simple cable.

I'm not sure if I have the original disks, the version I use has been on my hard drive for like forever.

Gazoo

I'm guessing this is for Midi-out only? Is there a way to do Midi-in (and use the TI's sound chip as a synthesizer)?

DIN 5 (midi) RS232 (TI)

------------ ----------

2 1

4 3

5 7

Thanks a lot!

I assume you’re connecting that cable to the back of the PHP1220 RS232 Interface Card?

http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/pinouts.htm#RS232

Are they Bruce Harrison's disks? His version had a lot of improvements.

Midi Album is the best of them, it requires a Supercart or comparable (I wrote a program to autoload it in to the HSGPL). It allows you to select a playlist and listen to hours of TI Midi stuff (you probably need a hard drive for hours of music, though).

I do have a Super-Cart, so your version could be of importance. However, I’ve got no SAMS nor hard drive.

I've had my share of synths over the years. I'm pretty sure the first ones were without MIDI. First hookup was with the Amiga. :)

Some good sounds there. ;)

Most of them, I recognize. :music:

I'm guessing this is for Midi-out only? Is there a way to do Midi-in (and use the TI's sound chip as a synthesizer)?

I'd guess that too. I'm not sure. :?

Yes, Midi-out only. There is another configuration for the Midi-in cable which includes a resistor and I don't have any longer so I can't describe it better than that.

The Midi-in function is for recording what you play on the keyboard and dumping it in SNF format for editing or recompiling into image files. I believe Bruce's program for that was called "Midi Play In".

Gazoo