IGNORED

Favorite black-and-white arcade games

Syzygy1

I haven't seen a thread like this, so I decided to start one.

What is your favorite black-and-white arcade game? I'm talking about the ones from the '70s to 1980.

My personal favorite is Space Race, with Sea Wolf as a close second.

Feel free to share memories.

Asteroids on an original CRT vector monitor... Emulation, not so much.

After that, Carmen Sandiego on Mac Classic (which doesn't count as arcade) Neither does MineStorm (for the Vectrex) which is superior to Asteroids, but not on stand up cab, unfortunately... Home arcade though... ;)

Edited by Opry99er

Space Invaders! Alpine Ski too, with its groovy 8-Track player for background music. :lol:

Space War is another. Space Zap too, but it has a color overlay. Sea Wolf of course (timeless classic) and Pong!

Alpine Ski was a 1982 Taito arcade game. It is in color.

Sega's Fonz and Heavyweight Champ deserve a mention! The latter, along with Taito's Basketball, look like somebody put an NES game on a B&W TV.

There was an original Sprint arcade machine, but I never personally saw one.

Sprint One (and Sprint 1) actually were named for the number of players and came after Sprint 2 (which is one of my favorite B&Ws, as well). I had one for a while.

post-6333-0-38921500-1437451869_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

List of faves and where I played them:

Asteroids was everywhere. I played it the most at the bowling alley and Turkey Hill (a convenience store here in the Susquehanna Valley also the makers of the best iced tea on the planet)

Star Castle at Two Guys department store

Wheels, Robot Bowl, Breakout, Gun Fight and Sea Wolf I played the crap out of at Lancaster Lanes bowling alley. Sea Wolf was a huge hit when it came out.

Death Race at Papa Dinos pizzeria.

Space Invaders at Pizza Hut and Fun City Arcade.

Out of all those places, only Pizza Hut and Turkey Hill still exist today.

• Like 1

List of faves and where I played them:

Asteroids was everywhere. I played it the most at the bowling alley and Turkey Hill (a convenience store here in the Susquehanna Valley also the makers of the best iced tea on the planet)

Star Castle at Two Guys department store

Wheels, Robot Bowl, Breakout, Gun Fight and Sea Wolf I played the crap out of at Lancaster Lanes bowling alley. Sea Wolf was a huge hit when it came out.

Death Race at Papa Dinos pizzeria.

Space Invaders at Pizza Hut and Fun City Arcade.

Out of all those places, only Pizza Hut and Turkey Hill still exist today.

Turkey Hill Iced Tea is amazing!! Raspberry and Lemonade Tea is awesome!!

I'd say Lunar Lander is my favorite of the B&W games. That's not to say I'm any good at it but I do own one so that must count for something, haahaha.

Close seconds would be Asteroids, Space Wars, Red Baron, Atari Football (except for almost breaking my knuckles), Armor...Attack!, Tailgunner... ok, so there are a lot of them. Man, a lot of B&W games had color overlays, right? I mean, Canyon Bomber has the overlay, so does Star Castle, Battlezone, many others. I wonder if those should be considered in a separate list.

It does? I've never seen an overlay on Canyon Bomber. Funspot's Canyon Bomber doesn't have an overlay and I don't recall it having one BITD. What color(s) is it?

Crap, I'm mistaken. I think, as a kid, I was thinking that it should have an overlay so it would be like the 2600 version, which is the first version I was familiar with. Thanks, my damaged brain can use all the help it can get, haahaha.