IGNORED

How Do You Pronounce Sysop?

59 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Pronounce Sysop

• siss-op
    • sye-sop

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

System operator, seems pretty forward

This is correct, and is what I acme here to say.

I know is is wrong, and I know the other way is correct, bit I always pronounced it "SIGH-sop"

This always makes me cringe. :)

I ran several different BBSs over the course of several years, both on Atari 8-bit computers and PCs.

..Al

• Like 1

I cannot lie... I call it "S-eye Sop"

This was how it was first said to me by my Indian neighbor who got me into BBSing back in the early 90s, and it just stuck. I learned maybe a month later that it was "System Operator"... but the damage had been done. I still say it the wrong way.

I also call Windows Vista "Veee-sta"... and that drove people nuts when I was living in the DC Metro area... they didn't understand. But I'm from Miami, and that's how we say it. "Mee-ami"

• Like 1

I cannot lie... I call it "S-eye Sop"

This was how it was first said to me by my Indian neighbor who got me into BBSing back in the early 90s, and it just stuck. I learned maybe a month later that it was "System Operator"... but the damage had been done. I still say it the wrong way.

I also call Windows Vista "Veee-sta"... and that drove people nuts when I was living in the DC Metro area... they didn't understand. But I'm from Miami, and that's how we say it. "Mee-ami"

So it's Cultural... We love you anyway... ;)

( and the town of Miami, OK it's pronounced, My-Am-Ahh)

MarkO

Edited by MarkO

So it's Cultural... We love you anyway... ;)

( and the town of Miami, OK it's pronounced, My-Am-Ahh)

MarkO

Haha... thanks. I recognize I'm wrong... but I enjoy being the odd-man out on this one! I'm helping to keep the old debate alive!

Last time I heard it spoken in real life was way back in high school in the early 90s: "sigh-sop". That's not necessarily how I would pronounce it since I've never had the need to say it out loud but it's how I heard it enunciated back then. It kinda make sense with the "sy" spelling. Same as "gif" with a hard "G". Something something can of worms...

• 7 months later...

I know is is wrong, and I know the other way is correct, bit I always pronounced it "SIGH-sop"

Reminded me of "CY-clops" when I first said it, so it always stuck with me...

Reminds of of the way I pronounced "sci-fi" as a kid until my best friend abused me for it. I always said "Sky-Fi" lol!

There have been Youtube videos on the pronunciation of this:

Or you could try asking Dr. Antonia Johnson which has a bunch of Youtube Videos including this one which has been the butt in Youtube Poops:

I've sometimes had trouble pronouncing "dish soap". I sometimes end up saying "dish shoap". Other times I'm wondering about the plural form of "disc." Is it "disc-sss?"

• Like 1