IGNORED

ABBUC's new Turbo-Basic XL Handbuch

Philsan

If someone can send me the text of the book maybe I can have a go. My German skills aren't the best ... but I do know some rough grammar.

I may help you with that task, if the original author agrees. I'll hold off my decision making though until I've got my copy, I should be getting one soon.

I've translated Hypra-Basic ( http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239241-hypra-basic/?hl=%2Btranslation&do=findComment&comment=3260051) but I'll see how many pages there are first.

But if you want to do it yourself, feel free.

Since I know turbo basic I was wondering if I can use the book to learn German instead? ;) It looks great but since I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland I'd better finish learning French first:-) Are there any popular French Atari boards, they might help?

• Like 2

Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, German, English, etc. are all Germanic languages, yet English has much earlier and thus deeper Romance (i.e. Norman) influence (e.g. words such as vessel, pork or beef) than any of the other Germanic languages (sometimes it is thus referred to as a "bastard" tongue/language). German has inherited some French words mostly from the Napoleonic period, but not to the same extent - and several of them have become old-fashioned (Chaiselongue - instead of Sofa - or Fisimatenten, e.g.).

That is easily explained: the magazine is stamped as a letter (postage EUR 1.45), the book's envelope only bears a EUR 1.00 stamp and is labelled as "Büchersendung" (lit. "books' sending"). This is a second class service and thus may be delayed if the local postman is already fully engaged with the more important stuff he has to deliver.

Being an abbuc member I also received this book. Very nice! (Also liked the 320K version of tapper a lot too btw. thanks Abbuc for sharing!)

I also have the Turbo Basic book written by W. Braakman (Original copy, bought back in 1987 or so when I was a SAG Member), and the Abbuc translation of this book. (A pink paperback, unfortunately very discolored duo to sunlight influence).

Ok but now my question.

In none of these books I understand what the use is of %0 %1 %2 and %3.

The examples are not clear enough to me.

And I am getting a lot of errors … probably doing something wrong.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated by me.

Hi Marius-

I looked that up not very long ago. I had thought that by using "%" in front of a number that it became an integer value, similar to how you can do in Fortran and I think Microsoft Basic. But if you have Ron. Fetzer's English expanded Turbo Basic XL docs, it explains on page 22 under Constants and Error codes that it treats these three values (%1, %2, %3) as constants to save memory. X=1 uses 10 bytes; while X=%1 uses 4 bytes. Slightly helpful, but I was disappointed since I thought we had some real integer arithmetic. Hope that helps.

-Larry

Edit: Make that four values, including zero.

• Like 2

M! Just use %0 instead of 0

10 A=A+%0:

20 B=A+%2

more bytes saved=more game :-D

Received mine today! I don't read German either but the examples (code) are all fairly clear and you can make out more than you expect. Must have cost a lot of postage :-o

Edited by therealbountybob

Ron Fetzers's Expanded Turbo-Basic XL Documentation:

attachicon.gifConstants2.PNG

Turbo Basic Original Documentation Translated by Western New York Atari Users Group:

attachicon.gifConstants.PNG

I can send you the PDF if you don't have them.

That PDF is unknown to me, so if it is free to share, I would appreciate that A LOT!

Thanks again my friend!