IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Can I ask what was your choice? :)

I kept the left fire on Space and then the right fire on the right Command button, but might change that later to see how it works. Everything else was mapped ok for me, just the M above the space was a bit awkward, that's all. (but to be honest, I'd started getting used to it!)

• Like 1

Now controllers mappings in keyboard can be changed. CoolCV v0.5.4 will create a file Documents/coolcv_mapping.txt that can be edited.

Thank you! The Ultimate PC Interface works great with your emulator now. I really like that Mac users are getting the updates first too!

If you ever decide to update the Linux version to support controller mapping, the Ultimate Colecovision Flashback will be possible.

Just curious - why isn't there a key for reset? I find myself having to quit out of the program frequently.

Thank you! The Ultimate PC Interface works great with your emulator now. I really like that Mac users are getting the updates first too!

If you ever decide to update the Linux version to support controller mapping, the Ultimate Colecovision Flashback will be possible.

Just curious - why isn't there a key for reset? I find myself having to quit out of the program frequently.

I'm so glad to know the Ultimate PC Interface works :)

Thanks for the reset suggestion :)

Are there going to be any more updates to the Windows version of this?

Yes, in time. It's because I've to port some things to Windows and also because Mac users have been very $upportive. :grin:

I agree the re mapping mac is AWSOME! The greatest thing is no choppy volume or video on anything. At least what I tried.

Cool! :)

This is looking very promising, great work nanochess. Now if you could add a setting to add some scanlines it would be just about perfect :)

And I second the request to also don't stop updating the windows version.

Scanlines would be interesting, it's one of the things in my TODO list.

• Like 2

I just got a new Macbook Pro, as my last one bit the dust with the GPU failing for the third time.

I ended up setting up the new system from scratch, rather than using my backup. I just grabbed the 0.5.4 release and am unable to play any retail games. Homebrews play fine, but retail games just give a black screen. I have coleco.rom in the same directory, but I'm not even sure that's needed any more based on the readme file.

I had this working on my old system, so I'm at a loss as to what's happening here. Any ideas why retail games won't boot?

EDIT:

Got it working. The issue was that I was using ROMs from the No-Intro set. Those apparently don't work in this emulator.

Edited by goldenegg
  • Like 1

Nanochess, quick question for you regarding the emulator. I know nolageek asked this already but I just wanted to follow up. I have your emulator added to a Retropie installation on a RPi 2B and running through emulationstation. The emulator itself runs without issue but I cannot quit out of it once started without going into ssh and doing a sudo kill <coolcv_pi pid>. Your documentation does say either Ctrl+Esc or Alt+F4 will quit but neither seem to be working. Is there another way I can get this to work?

I just got a new Macbook Pro, as my last one bit the dust with the GPU failing for the third time.

I ended up setting up the new system from scratch, rather than using my backup. I just grabbed the 0.5.4 release and am unable to play any retail games. Homebrews play fine, but retail games just give a black screen. I have coleco.rom in the same directory, but I'm not even sure that's needed any more based on the readme file.

I had this working on my old system, so I'm at a loss as to what's happening here. Any ideas why retail games won't boot?

EDIT:

Got it working. The issue was that I was using ROMs from the No-Intro set. Those apparently don't work in this emulator.

Please send me one of the non-working files via PM. Thanks :)

Nanochess, quick question for you regarding the emulator. I know nolageek asked this already but I just wanted to follow up. I have your emulator added to a Retropie installation on a RPi 2B and running through emulationstation. The emulator itself runs without issue but I cannot quit out of it once started without going into ssh and doing a sudo kill <coolcv_pi pid>. Your documentation does say either Ctrl+Esc or Alt+F4 will quit but neither seem to be working. Is there another way I can get this to work?

I'm surprised. Ctrl+Esc should work. I tested it.

No need. I was about to send you the ROMs, when I noticed a problem on my NAS. After fixing things, the ROMs work. I didn't realize that something had happened to cause the ROMs to get extracted as 0 bytes. Re-extracting fixed it.

• Like 1

I'm surprised. Ctrl+Esc should work. I tested it.

The thing is I'm not running it from the command line in an terminal session I'm going through emulationstation which might behave differently. I'll keep poking around and see what I can find but thanks anyway.

• Like 1

The thing is I'm not running it from the command line in an terminal session I'm going through emulationstation which might behave differently. I'll keep poking around and see what I can find but thanks anyway.

Oh! I see. Unfortunately I don't have currently a Raspberry available for compiling the new version :(

Oh! I see. Unfortunately I don't have currently a Raspberry available for compiling the new version :(

Hi nanochess, thanks for putting in the effort for a raspberry pi version! xeynx brought me into the fold on this effort as I would love to see a viable Colecovision emu with our Retropie machines. With Retropie/Emulator Station, the default keys to exit from a ROM are enter (start button) and right shift (select button) pushed together. The Retroarch configuration tool will set up all controllers to map the enter to start and rshift to select. Is there a way to compile the rpi version of coolcv to have exit be those two buttons instead of cntl + esc? Thanks again for your effort on this!

• Like 1

Hi nanochess, thanks for putting in the effort for a raspberry pi version! xeynx brought me into the fold on this effort as I would love to see a viable Colecovision emu with our Retropie machines. With Retropie/Emulator Station, the default keys to exit from a ROM are enter (start button) and right shift (select button) pushed together. The Retroarch configuration tool will set up all controllers to map the enter to start and rshift to select. Is there a way to compile the rpi version of coolcv to have exit be those two buttons instead of cntl + esc? Thanks again for your effort on this!

I've taken note.

Currently no way until I've again a Raspberry PI, this can take several weeks. The previous one was borrowed from a friend.

I've taken note.

Currently no way until I've again a Raspberry PI, this can take several weeks. The previous one was borrowed from a friend.

Would it matter which version of a rpi it is to compile? I am currently using a rpi 1 B but am going to upgrade to a rpi 2 Real. Soon. Now. I could send you this one once I do that...

Just got my fresh install of OS X El Capitan up and running. Unfortunately, CoolCV 0.5.4 and prior releases are crashing.

I just want to say thank you Nanochess for all of your dedication to this great app! I realize it's in alpha, but you've provided tremendous support so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't yet reinstalled SDL... Did that, and it works perfectly.

Carry on. :dunce:

Edited by phattyboombatty
  • Like 1

Would it matter which version of a rpi it is to compile? I am currently using a rpi 1 B but am going to upgrade to a rpi 2 Real. Soon. Now. I could send you this one once I do that...

It was a Raspberry 1 Model B+. With one in my hands I would be able to update the emulator almost same day that the Mac version.

Just got my fresh install of OS X El Capitan up and running. Unfortunately, CoolCV 0.5.4 and prior releases are crashing.

I just want to say thank you Nanochess for all of your dedication to this great app! I realize it's in alpha, but you've provided tremendous support so far. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just realized I hadn't yet reinstalled SDL... Did that, and it works perfectly.

Carry on. :dunce:

Woops! You scared me man! :lol:

• Like 1

It was a Raspberry 1 Model B+. With one in my hands I would be able to update the emulator almost same day that the Mac version.

Ok, here's the plan - I'll donate $20 to nanochess's Raspberry Pi fund and someone else do the same. I'd love to see a Linux version with the keyboard / joystick mapping file.

• Like 1

Ok, here's the plan - I'll donate $20 to nanochess's Raspberry Pi fund and someone else do the same. I'd love to see a Linux version with the keyboard / joystick mapping file.

Wow! Thanks! :) :thumbsup: this will accelerate significatively the process.

If nonochess PM's me his address, I will just ship him a PI that will be plug and play. There is no need for anyone to donate to the PI. Just donate to him for the emulator.

• Like 3