IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Is there a way to completely bypass the startup screen?

I updated my posting. Please take a look at the issue I noted with the joystick and reset/pause.

I have noticed that I get the message below when exiting the Raspberry version of the emulator:

ALSA lib pcm.c.7339:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

The game seems to be playing fine and I do have audio. I have to play longer to see if I notice a problem.

Thanks for the emulator!

p.s. (updated) I just noticed that the audio plays well when the game first start then sound choppy. I have my Raspberry set to 800mhz and the audio did sound good when the game first started.

It must be a debugging message, sometimes if the operating system goes slow the audio can suffer an underrun, not great deal except a brief brrrp in audio.

Now updated to v0.6.1, small bugs fixed. Check post #1.

Pause and Reset key couldn't use joystick.

Better compression for AVI and safeguard if 2GB limit is reached.

PAL switching didn't update BIOS European byte.

Able to exit using # and * key at same time (only Raspberry)

BTW, a small adjustment for analog joysticks, not sure if someone's gamepad could use this.

• Like 1

Both I believe, Let me run more tests. But I'm pretty sure it's both. It's like a poping/click in the sound.

This is the same issue I noticed with the Raspberry version. I called it choppy but it is a popping/clicking issue. I was thinking it was due to the Raspberry not having enough performance.

This is the same issue I noticed with the Raspberry version. I called it choppy but it is a popping/clicking issue. I was thinking it was due to the Raspberry not having enough performance.

I'm running Windows 7 on a i7-2700K running at 3.5Ghz, so there shouldn't be any sound issues. I'm confident nanochess will figure it out.

I'm running Windows 7 on a i7-2700K running at 3.5Ghz, so there shouldn't be any sound issues. I'm confident nanochess will figure it out.

If he has time :)

nachoness, if you are enhancing the emulator, would you please consider adding options for the video resolution? I would love to see it run full screen on a 1080p TV.

If he has time :)

nachoness, if you are enhancing the emulator, would you please consider adding options for the video resolution? I would love to see it run full screen on a 1080p TV.

I don't have tested in Windows for Full Screen, but you should be able to resize the window.

For setup/install in RetroPI, does one just need to copy over the inclued rpi version and then setup the config files apprprotately or do you still have to go through all of the additional Linux Instructions for libSDL2? If so, does that have any effects on the rest of the RetroPi install?

I don't have idea. Try to execute CoolCV from the command line without installing anything, if it complains, then run the compilation for libSDL2.

Another thing I don't know and could save time, how so easy is to distribute the compiled libSDL2? it needs additional setup?

If you want integred coolcv to retropie you need first copy your coolcv at cd /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv and add this lines at nano /etc/emulationstation/es_systems.cfg:

<system>

<name>colecovision</name>

<fullname>ColecoVision</fullname>

<path>~/RetroPie/roms/colecovision</path>

<extension>.rom .ROM .col .COL</extension>

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv_pi %ROM% </command>

<platform>colecovision</platform>

<theme>colecovision</theme>

</system>

And don't forget this line finish with:</systemList>

This way work great for coolcv on retropie

keyboard works

joystick works.

Good pleasure!

Just wanted to add the .zip and .ZIP can be added to the extension list as those work as well.

• Like 1

For setup/install in RetroPI, does one just need to copy over the inclued rpi version and then setup the config files apprprotately or do you still have to go through all of the additional Linux Instructions for libSDL2? If so, does that have any effects on the rest of the RetroPi install?

I've learned that none of those extra linux steps for libSDL2 on my RPi2 with RetroPi 3.1 are required. Last thing to work out is whether or not controller remapping is possible in RetroPie with this. I'd like to use joy3 rather than joy0 or add some mappings to joy0 (joy0 for me is a SuperNintendo looking joypad and joy3 is an A2600 joystick connected via a Stelladaptor).

Thanks again for this awesome emulator! One more system I can now take out of the living room (making wife happy) and move to a game room upstairs.

I'm trying to get coolcv running on a RPi2 using RetroPi 3.1 and have done what mckafka99 has said to do - added the system lines to es_systems.cfg and put coolcv_pi into a coolcv folder at cd /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv. Even put a ColecoVision BIOS in the bios folder. When I try to open a game, I get a permission denied error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there a .cfg file that needs to be added?

Edited by paulace50

I'm trying to get coolcv running on a RPi2 using RetroPi 3.1 and have done what mckafka99 has said to do - added the system lines to es_systems.cfg and put coolcv_pi into a coolcv folder at cd /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv. Even put a ColecoVision BIOS in the bios folder. When I try to open a game, I get a permission denied error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Check the permissions/ownership on the various folders related to your coolcv setup.

If you go to /opt/retropie/emulators and do a ls -l the list of folders (including coolcv) will be listed with permissions.The coolcv user/group owner needs to be set to root like all the others and the permissions need to be set like the other emulator folders.

The same applies to the folder where you put your Colecovision roms. If they are in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/Colecovision, goto /home/pi/RetroPie/roms and do the ls -l command to see the owner/permissions on the Colecovision roms folder (or whatever name you gave the folder). The user/group owner should be pi. Permissions should be set like the others as well.

To change these I would suggest changing to 'SuperUser first' (sudo su) but be aware that as the su user you can do just about anything to your system so be careful that you dont delete anything you dont intend to.

As the SU user, goto each of those directories and check the owner/permissions.

To change ownership, you use the 'chown' command. For example to change ownership on a directory called 'test' to a user called 'user', you would run the following two commands:

chown user test

chown :user test

To change the permissions on a directory called 'test' to match most of those you should see for the other folder you can run the following:

chmod 775 test

Hope this helps.

Check the permissions/ownership on the various folders related to your coolcv setup.

If you go to /opt/retropie/emulators and do a ls -l the list of folders (including coolcv) will be listed with permissions.The coolcv user/group owner needs to be set to root like all the others and the permissions need to be set like the other emulator folders.

The same applies to the folder where you put your Colecovision roms. If they are in /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/Colecovision, goto /home/pi/RetroPie/roms and do the ls -l command to see the owner/permissions on the Colecovision roms folder (or whatever name you gave the folder). The user/group owner should be pi. Permissions should be set like the others as well.

To change these I would suggest changing to 'SuperUser first' (sudo su) but be aware that as the su user you can do just about anything to your system so be careful that you dont delete anything you dont intend to.

As the SU user, goto each of those directories and check the owner/permissions.

To change ownership, you use the 'chown' command. For example to change ownership on a directory called 'test' to a user called 'user', you would run the following two commands:

chown user test

chown :user test

To change the permissions on a directory called 'test' to match most of those you should see for the other folder you can run the following:

chmod 775 test

Hope this helps.

Thanks Mckafka99 - I'm the root user, so permission isn't the issue, at least I don't think so. I seem to have every permission available. I hope it's OK to be posting these questions here - just trying to get coolcv running on a Pi2. I'm using the latest build of coolcv_pi (0.6.1).

Thanks Mckafka99 - I'm the root user, so permission isn't the issue, at least I don't think so. I seem to have every permission available. I hope it's OK to be posting these questions here - just trying to get coolcv running on a Pi2. I'm using the latest build of coolcv_pi (0.6.1).

I believe when running ES and launching games you are running as the PI user. If you drop out of ES to the command prompt you will be dropped as the PI user I believe. Changing the ownership and permissions as I described has always resolved those permissions errors I have received in the past when trying to launch other games/emulators. I am also running the latest version of coolcv. I would double check the folders and make sure owner/permission match those of other emulators you are able to launch. Also might have to check the owner/permissions on the coolcv_pi file itself.

I believe when running ES and launching games you are running as the PI user. If you drop out of ES to the command prompt you will be dropped as the PI user I believe. Changing the ownership and permissions as I described has always resolved those permissions errors I have received in the past when trying to launch other games/emulators. I am also running the latest version of coolcv. I would double check the folders and make sure owner/permission match those of other emulators you are able to launch. Also might have to check the owner/permissions on the coolcv_pi file itself.

Thanks mckafka99 - I think you're right - there is a difference when I look at the coolcv folder using "ls -l" from the command line. I've been using WinSCP to create files and folders as root, and thought that took care of the permission issue, but apparently not. Anyway, you've pointed me in the right direction, and I'll try to figure out how to change what I need to change by looking at linux or pi sites. I don't want to waste folks' time here with this part of it. I appreciate your helpfulness, though! If I get coolcv running, I'll make a $ contribution to nanochess.

10 minutes later - got it working...thanks mckafka99! It's a beautiful-looking emulator. I'll send some money nanochess' way. Thanks for your patience.

Edited by paulace50
  • Like 1

Thanks again Oscar for your awesome CV emulator!

For us RetroPie users, we now have the ability to exit back to emulationstation by pressing * and # together from the CV controller. It would be nice to have combination keys to pause and reset from the controller as well.

Has anyone been able to get the RPi version to run full screen on a 1080p TV? The best I can get looks like it's about 720p (see picture).

post-16548-0-42106100-1446995504_thumb.jpg

Update on Raspberry configurations working without audio cut:

1. Raspberry PI B+ 512 MB with Raspbian (overclocked to 800 mhz)
  2. Raspberry PI 2 B 4 Cores 1 GB with Raspbian (not overclocked)
  3. Raspberry PI 2 (pimpmaul) overclocked to 1000 mhz with overvoltage 2. (no info on operating system)

I don't know nor tested if Retropie is more "loaded" than Raspbian, this could be the cause of the audio cut in PI B+512, maybe overclocking settings could help.