IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Thanks again Oscar for your awesome CV emulator!

For us RetroPie users, we now have the ability to exit back to emulationstation by pressing * and # together from the CV controller. It would be nice to have combination keys to pause and reset from the controller as well.

Has anyone been able to get the RPi version to run full screen on a 1080p TV? The best I can get looks like it's about 720p (see picture).

attachicon.gifIMG_1765.JPG

My screen is filled but is a 1366x768 pixels one. Please test this new version that should fill your screen.

coolcv_v0.6.2_pi_pre.zip

• Like 1

BTW, if you run CoolCV from the command line in Raspberry, you'll find that for some reason the keyboard goes thru to terminal window. The best way to run CoolCV is from the Menu/Run command, for example entering execute line like this:

/home/pi/coolcv_pi /home/pi/qbert.rom

Just I've tested the Raspberry PI model 1 B+ 512MB of RAM, and it has some audio wrrrrk, I've overclocked it to 800 mhz and it solved most of the problem. I'll give a further look later.

My screen is filled but is a 1366x768 pixels one. Please test this new version that should fill your screen.

Very nice nachoness! I have a 1080p and it fills it top to bottom. There are black bars on the side but that is expected as the TV is widescreen and the emulator is 4x3.

I was playing Magical Tree and that is where I consistently hear the drag on the audio. The drag starts 20 seconds into the game when I reach the owls.

Thanks again for all you are doing!

Very nice nachoness nanochess! I have a 1080p and it fills it top to bottom. There are black bars on the side but that is expected as the TV is widescreen and the emulator is 4x3.

I was playing Magical Tree and that is where I consistently hear the drag on the audio. The drag starts 20 seconds into the game when I reach the owls.

Thanks again for all you are doing!

Is it the Raspberry 2 or the B+ ? are you using Raspbian or another distro?

I own a Raspberry Pi 1B. And I've got a media center and RetroPie running on it. The red elephant in the RetroPie room was the lack of Colecovision support. CoolCV works fine, that is: sound and video work. I've also compiled ColEm for my Pi (from old source code 2.9 see this this forum topic). But unfortunately I cannot get any sound out of it. But the big plus of ColEm is that the speed can be tweaked (option -sync 130), contrary to coolcv_pi.

So my question is: can a (command line) option be built into coolcv_pi to speed it up? On the Pi 1 Colecovision games are still unplayable.

I would use AdamEM on the Pi 1 if CoolCV is not performing well enough.

CoolCV does seem to need extra resources than AdamEM but overall, CoolCV is a great solution on a Pi 2. I have not tested the Rollerball with CoolCV...I best get to testing. AdamEm does support all the controllers.

Where can I get AdamEM for the Pi/Retropie?

Edited by MeneerJansen

I own a Raspberry Pi 1B. And I've got a media center and RetroPie running on it. The red elephant in the RetroPie room was the lack of Colecovision support. CoolCV works fine, that is: sound and video work. I've also compiled ColEm for my Pi (from old source code 2.9 see this this forum topic). But unfortunately I cannot get any sound out of it. But the big plus of ColEm is that the speed can be tweaked (option -sync 130), contrary to coolcv_pi.

So my question is: can a (command line) option be built into coolcv_pi to speed it up? On the Pi 1 Colecovision games are still unplayable.

I suspect Retropie imposes more load over the PI, I've downloaded it in order to test with CoolCV, with a little luck I'll be able to make it to work faster or include an optimization switch.

• Like 1

I suspect Retropie imposes more load over the PI, I've downloaded it in order to test with CoolCV, with a little luck I'll be able to make it to work faster or include an optimization switch.

nanochess, I have been testing CoolCV using RetroPie. I would exit out of Emulation Station and run CoolCV from the command line. This is when I noticed the sound break up and where I saw the messages I mentioned before.

I just setup CoolCV to run from Emulation Station and the sound is good. I tried several games and they all played well and the sound was good.

I also played around with selecting different video resolutions. If someone wanted the wide screen feel, I would suggest 640x480 (I have a 1080p TV). 720x480 takes up more than the screen.

I still need to test the roller controller and the Ultimate Interface.

• Like 1

nanochess, I have been testing CoolCV using RetroPie. I would exit out of Emulation Station and run CoolCV from the command line. This is when I noticed the sound break up and where I saw the messages I mentioned before.

I just setup CoolCV to run from Emulation Station and the sound is good. I tried several games and they all played well and the sound was good.

I also played around with selecting different video resolutions. If someone wanted the wide screen feel, I would suggest 640x480 (I have a 1080p TV). 720x480 takes up more than the screen.

I still need to test the roller controller and the Ultimate Interface.

I can second that - been running it through Emulation Station on a Pi2 overclocked 800 MHz on a 1080P screen, and sound and video are both smooth. Great program!

• Like 1

I do have a question, though: In the coolcv_mapping.txt file, I can assign anything to any key, which I love..but can I assign an action to a simultaneous 2-key press? Not a big deal, but I'd just like it to be consistent with the other emulators in which I have to hit my "start" and "select" buttons at the same time to exit.

I do have a question, though: In the coolcv_mapping.txt file, I can assign anything to any key, which I love..but can I assign an action to a simultaneous 2-key press? Not a big deal, but I'd just like it to be consistent with the other emulators in which I have to hit my "start" and "select" buttons at the same time to exit.

Not yet. I'll add it to my list of requested features.

I stumbled on the location by accident...it should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents

the name of the file is coolcv_mapping.txt but I am unsure of how to change the mappings.

Is the mapping feature only available in Mac? I have Windows and it doesn't generate any mapping file. Emulator is really coming along. Thanks.

Is the mapping feature only available in Mac? I have Windows and it doesn't generate any mapping file. Emulator is really coming along. Thanks.

It's available for all platforms since v0.6.0

I stumbled on the location by accident...it should be something like:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents

the name of the file is coolcv_mapping.txt but I am unsure of how to change the mappings.

You need to use F7 key to activate the mapping mode, each key or button you press will show a code that you can use in the coolcv_mapping.txt file.

OK, so what does it mean when I get a mapping code for all the buttons on my USB joystick, but I get absolutely nothing for the positions I press on the directional pad?

Is this why I either move incorrect directions or not at all when I try to play a game using my joystick? Is there any way of correcting this?

It's available for all platforms since v0.6.0

You need to use F7 key to activate the mapping mode, each key or button you press will show a code that you can use in the coolcv_mapping.txt file.

OK, so what does it mean when I get a mapping code for all the buttons on my USB joystick, but I get absolutely nothing for the positions I press on the directional pad?

Is this why I either move incorrect directions or not at all when I try to play a game using my joystick? Is there any way of correcting this?

It means your pad is behaving like an analog joystick and I should integrate a debug code to see what is happening :?