IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

It's available for all platforms since v0.6.0

You need to use F7 key to activate the mapping mode, each key or button you press will show a code that you can use in the coolcv_mapping.txt file.

Well, I could be a big idiot I guess. I'm using version 6.1 clean install of CoolCV. I've searched my computer both manually and with Windows search for that specific file on my computer with no luck. I'm using Windows 10 on a laptop. Windows 10 replaces the My Documents folder with just Documents on purpose when you upgrade from Windows 7. Could that be it? Kind of stumped. Not in the Documents folder.

• Like 1

I have a lot of good idea's for the Coolcv emulator, like put in the best features from Meka, Mess and BlueMSX :)

- debuger with breakpoints :)

- realtime hexeditor for vram and main ram (including sgm ram)

- A way to monitor if the code try to read or write in a specific area, ram and vram.

- Dump registers, vram and ram to a file

I know Oscar is very busy, but now he have some ideas.

• Like 1

I got CoolCV to install on my Raspberry PI 2 easily with the instructions in the zip file. And it's awesome!

I'd like to remap the controller though (I'm using a PS3 joystick and it's too twitchy, so I want to switch to the dpad and remap the fire button), but I am having an issue. When I try using F7 to show the controller codes, it doesn't seem to work. The other function keys seem to work (reset/pause/record video/record audio), but I can't get F7 to do anything on my Raspberry Pi.

Has anybody got the F7 button to work on a Pi?

I got CoolCV to install on my Raspberry PI 2 easily with the instructions in the zip file. And it's awesome!

I'd like to remap the controller though (I'm using a PS3 joystick and it's too twitchy, so I want to switch to the dpad and remap the fire button), but I am having an issue. When I try using F7 to show the controller codes, it doesn't seem to work. The other function keys seem to work (reset/pause/record video/record audio), but I can't get F7 to do anything on my Raspberry Pi.

Has anybody got the F7 button to work on a Pi?

Just I've seen there is a bug with the F7 key in Raspberry. It doesn't show the codes.

I hope to solve it in the next version.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Now available v0.6.2 updated all platforms (check first post)

• Solves small bugs in Z80 and VDP emulation.
  • Ctrl+Fn+F4 creates debugging snapshots.
  • Allows to use two keys to activate one button (both pressed at same time).
  • Allows for two keys to activate same button (for example two controllers).
  • Raspberry now shows status messages (important for F7 key codes).
  • More keys are configurable: video recording, audio recording, screenshots, enable/disable roller controller.
  • When using Roller Controller the sensitivity has been adjusted (was too fast).
  • Like 1

I'm still not clear if there is anything I can do on the Windows version to properly map my USB joystick's directional control. Using F7 to see the key codes, I see them for the buttons, but nothing appears for the directional control.

Now available v0.6.2 updated all platforms (check first post)

• Solves small bugs in Z80 and VDP emulation.
  • Ctrl+Fn+F4 creates debugging snapshots.
  • Allows to use two keys to activate one button (both pressed at same time).
  • Allows for two keys to activate same button (for example two controllers).
  • Raspberry now shows status messages (important for F7 key codes).
  • More keys are configurable: video recording, audio recording, screenshots, enable/disable roller controller.
  • When using Roller Controller the sensitivity has been adjusted (was too fast).

I'm still not clear if there is anything I can do on the Windows version to properly map my USB joystick's directional control. Using F7 to see the key codes, I see them for the buttons, but nothing appears for the directional control.

Not sure what's going here with you controller. Can you test a different controller? Not same type? Like an Ultimate Colecovision controller.

I don't have an Ultimate CV Controller, but the two USB controllers I do have (different brands) give the same result when I test for the codes. The buttons show codes, but not the directional control pad. Both these controllers work on every other emulator I have so it's a total mystery why they don't work on CoolCV.

Not sure what's going here with you controller. Can you test a different controller? Not same type? Like an Ultimate Colecovision controller.

I know this doesn't help Joe out with his controller issues, but my wireless Saitek P2900 gamepad works perfectly with CoolCV under Windows Vista.

jblenkle, I do not believe you need to enter joystick mappings for your joystick. My mappings are:

right_1 key1073741903
down_1 key1073741905
left_1 key1073741904
left_button_1 key32 joy0_0
right_button_1 key109 joy0_1

You will notice that I have joystick mappings for my buttons but not for my directions. I believe the emulator detects joystick directions. If your joystick is not working without mappings, I am guessing you do not have a standard joystick.

All my buttons work fine so I don't need to map those. As for the joystick itself, it's just a generic USB joypad shaped exactly like a SNES controller. It works fine with every other emulator on my computer.

I get some directional movement in CoolCV, but it's not correct.

Pressing right takes me right and down

Pressing left takes me left and up

Pressing up does nothing

Pressing down does nothing

jblenkle, I do not believe you need to enter joystick mappings for your joystick. My mappings are:

right_1 key1073741903
down_1 key1073741905
left_1 key1073741904
left_button_1 key32 joy0_0
right_button_1 key109 joy0_1

You will notice that I have joystick mappings for my buttons but not for my directions. I believe the emulator detects joystick directions. If your joystick is not working without mappings, I am guessing you do not have a standard joystick.

All my buttons work fine so I don't need to map those. As for the joystick itself, it's just a generic USB joypad shaped exactly like a SNES controller. It works fine with every other emulator on my computer.

I get some directional movement in CoolCV, but it's not correct.

Pressing right takes me right and down

Pressing left takes me left and up

Pressing up does nothing

Pressing down does nothing

I'm wondering that my center settings doesn't work with your joystick.

I'll add some debugging code in next version of emulator so you can tell me the values detected by CoolCV.

I would like to add it right now, but I'm about to take two weeks of vacations and I'll not carry my computer.

Anyway my phone has Atariage, so I'll keep reading messages and so on. (are these vacations? :P )

That would be cool if you could do that so I can figure this out (or so you can figure it out!!!)...but no rush, go on vacation...

I'm wondering that my center settings doesn't work with your joystick.

I'll add some debugging code in next version of emulator so you can tell me the values detected by CoolCV.

I would like to add it right now, but I'm about to take two weeks of vacations and I'll not carry my computer.

Anyway my phone has Atariage, so I'll keep reading messages and so on. (are these vacations? :P )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nanochess, couldn't the coolcv_mapping.txt be stored in the emulator's folder instead of \Documents?

This currently breaks portability and you won't be able to run it from a portable hard drive, you'll need to recreate that file on each machine you use the emulator.

You could use a -portable command line switch if you prefer to write to \Documents by default.

• Like 1

nanochess, couldn't the coolcv_mapping.txt be stored in the emulator's folder instead of \Documents?

This currently breaks portability and you won't be able to run it from a portable hard drive, you'll need to recreate that file on each machine you use the emulator.

You could use a -portable command line switch if you prefer to write to \Documents by default.

It's a little hard, Windows have special permissions for directories, and Mac OS doesn't allow it.

As long as you don't have it installed in Program Files you shouldn't have any permission issues on Windows, pretty much all emulators store their configuration files on its root folder because of portability. Not sure why you say Mac OS doesn't allow it, there are several applications/emulators that write to its own folder.

A command line switch to specify the config folder location would be a good solution imo, this would allow you to keep your current solution as default and then users could change the location if they desire it (at their own risk).