IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Do you mean ssh -x? If so, no, I'm not. Mind you I'm running Linux Mint Rosa and not the typical Retro Pie like a lot of people do. I simply downloaded the v0.6.4 zip, extracted to usr/games and then set up my cfg in Emulationstation like this:

<system>

<name>coleco</name>
<fullname>ColecoVision</fullname>
<path>/home.......</path>
<extension>.col .COL</extension>
<command> /usr/games/Colecovision %ROM%</command>
<platform>coleco</platform>
<theme>coleco</theme>
</system>

The emulator runs fine through es, but opens up as a window.

I am not familiar with Linux Mint. If CoolCV is running windowed, you must be running it from X windows (or whatever it is called).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

My understanding is CoolCV does *not* support command switches so there is no way to tell it to run full screen. It runs windowed or full screen.

Maybe I translated what you meant "not full screen" to be windowed and what you meant was that it is not covering the full screen but is using the entire screen? Could you include a pic so we can see what you mean?

• Like 1

Awesome emulator, but I can't seem to get it to play on full screen. Is this possible on Linux or did I miss something obvious?

I see from your other posts that you do not run it on a Raspberry Pi (i.e. not via RetroPie). I also understand that you do use Emulationstation on Linux to play your classic games. I don't know what Emulation station does exactly but in Mame for instance (in Linux or Windows) one can run game full screen by pressing Alt + Enter. However, if I run CoolCV from the command line on my Pi then it works full screen. And I did not install X on the Pi, only RetroPie which uses (read: autostarts) Emulationstation. Does CoolCV run in a Window on your computer or does it simply not fill the screen?

So the first screen shot is when CoolCV first opens up (not opened through the terminal), and the second is when I maximize it.

That first screenshot. That to me appears not to be Emulationstation as I know it (on my Pi it starts full screen). It appears to be a light weight GUI (graphical user interface, i.d. desktop environment) w/ a task bar at the bottom. If one starts an application from a GUI then a window border is always present. Some applications (like Mame) can make the window border disappear (by magic?). You could try to switch to a terminal (TTY) in Linux by pressing Ctrl + Alt F1 and to start CoolCV from there. To get back to the GUI you can press Crtl + Alt + F7 (usually the GUI starts in TTY 7, might be different on your system though). To reboot your computer if it all goes awry you can type in a terminal:

sudo reboot

and type in your Linux password.

Succes w/ using Linux! :)

• Like 2

So the first screen shot is when CoolCV first opens up (not opened through the terminal), and the second is when I maximize it.

As MeneerJansen said...it appears you are running Emulation Station in X-Windows/term. The only way you will be able to run CoolCV is to drop to a full screen terminal session. You probably want to create a shell command that runs non-windowed that will start CoolCV. After exiting CoolCV, it should return you to Emulation Station.

As MeneerJansen said...it appears you are running Emulation Station in X-Windows/term. The only way you will be able to run CoolCV is to drop to a full screen terminal session. You probably want to create a shell command that runs non-windowed that will start CoolCV. After exiting CoolCV, it should return you to Emulation Station.

Yeah, sounds like it. I'm relatively new to Linux, so I'm still working out a few issues with my retro setup. Anyway, I'll try to write up a shell script tomorrow and see how that works. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...

Just for the record, finally Yesterday I've managed to make Sammy Lightfoot to work with CoolCV. (boy! that was hard!)

Still I want to make a few bug fixes more before releasing it. :grin:

Great news and congratulations. BTW - what were the issues with Sammy that you had to solve?

• Like 1

Great news and congratulations. BTW - what were the issues with Sammy that you had to solve?

It's a 16K ROM but it has stability problems that make it to depend on the another 16K, my emulator simply duplicated the ROM image, but Sammy Lightfoot depends on it containing FF, static value achievable using NMOS Z80 for non-existant memory.

It would stay in title screen and crash when pressing button.

Anyway I polished the Z80 timings looking for the bug.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to configure the joystick (the directions, not the buttons)? the controller I use for my Raspberry Pi has analog sticks and a D-Pad (Similar to an Xbox 360 controller). CoolCV defaults to using the left analog stick for control. A lot of games are super difficult to play with the analog control, I hope I can somehow use the D-PAD instead but it doesn't even register as a keypress. Amazing emulator though!

Thanks!

Edited by RaspberryPie2016
  • Like 3

Is there any way to configure the joystick (the directions, not the buttons)? the controller I use for my Raspberry Pi has analog sticks and a D-Pad (Similar to an Xbox 360 controller). CoolCV defaults to using the left analog stick for control. A lot of games are super difficult to play with the analog control, I hope I can somehow use the D-PAD instead but it doesn't even register as a keypress. Amazing emulator though!

Thanks!

I was really hoping to do that too....

Thanks!

I was really hoping to do that too....

I was curious about this myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on the dpad mapping? F7 doesn't report the input on rpi2/retropie.

I've tried numerous commands on the directional input in tje coolcv_mapping.txt and as soon as the emulator launches it deletes them.

For example,

up_1 key1073741906joy0_0,0,0,1

Or

up_1 key1073741906joy0_h0up

Or

up_1 key1073741906joy0_0y+

Do not work

The button mappings bind fine when done manually, however.

I'm going to check this as soon as possible.

The documentation says to press Fn + F7 to access the controller input report. I'm trying to set up my CV controller to work in CoolCV in Retropie (VIA the Vision-Daptor) On a standard windows keyboard that I am using to set this up, how should I be doing this?

The documentation says to press Fn + F7 to access the controller input report. I'm trying to set up my CV controller to work in CoolCV in Retropie (VIA the Vision-Daptor) On a standard windows keyboard that I am using to set this up, how should I be doing this?

When using a PC ignore the Fn addenda and only press F7 :)

First up, thanks nachochess for writing the emulator! I can revisit my glory days of playing Mr. Do! now.

Secondly, I might have found the Keycode solution for us Pi owners using CoolCV-

RetroPie seems to be using SDL, and while I'm kind of a LINUX/Pi n00b (not even using NOOB yet), I did remember how to Google, and found this page:

https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDLKeycodeLookup

I used the codes on that page to map my shiny new wireless 23-key number pad - and it worked wonderfully!

Extra bonus, I can use the keypad to control both Emulation Station and MAME.. and play Mario but it is awful with a keyboard.

Thanks again, and I hope this helps some people out until the F7 bug is resolved.

Edited by Karwood
  • Like 1

First up, thanks nachochess for writing the emulator! I can revisit my glory days of playing Mr. Do! now.

Secondly, I might have found the Keycode solution for us Pi owners using CoolCV-

RetroPie seems to be using SDL, and while I'm kind of a LINUX/Pi n00b (not even using NOOB yet), I did remember how to Google, and found this page:

I used the codes on that page to map my shiny new wireless 23-key number pad - and it worked wonderfully!

Extra bonus, I can use the keypad to control both Emulation Station and MAME.. and play Mario but it is awful with a keyboard.

Thanks again, and I hope this helps some people out until the F7 bug is resolved.

OK, That keypad seems awesome.

That's how I'm playing the Colecovision games, with the keyboard... until Cool CV can hopefully recognize presses on my D-Pad... is SDL what is used to read the controllers as well?

Edited by RaspberryPie2016

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Inky, I did not notice you were trying to configure the visiondaptor. What version of the emulator are you using? I did not see the Adam keyboard configuration in your file.

This file contains mapping the Ultimate Interface and Visiondaptor. All the keys are documented to how they are mapped or are obvious. It also has mapping for the keyboard for Adam emulation. You can use the as it is. CoolCV will clean it up when it runs.

coolcv_mapping_PC-documented.txt

For those interested in Adam emulation and want to use the real Adam keyboard, check out:

http://www.intellivision.us/adam_intfc/adam_intfc.php

Sorry Inky, I did not notice you were trying to configure the visiondaptor. What version of the emulator are you using? I did not see the Adam keyboard configuration in your file.

This file contains mapping the Ultimate Interface and Visiondaptor. All the keys are documented to how they are mapped or are obvious. It also has mapping for the keyboard for Adam emulation. You can use the as it is. CoolCV will clean it up when it runs.

attachicon.gifcoolcv_mapping_PC-documented.txt

For those interested in Adam emulation and want to use the real Adam keyboard, check out:

http://www.intellivision.us/adam_intfc/adam_intfc.php

Hi there IntvDave,

Nice to see you in this topic (again). I haven't followed this topic in great detail for the last few weeks, but I watch it every now and then. I take it that the CoolCV emulator still does not work properly on the Pi 1? I know that there's an Adam emulator out there that does. The Adam was the homecomputer by Coleco that was compatible w/ Colecovision games. I never actually saw one in the stores (Holland) but read up about it on he internet. Do you think that the Adam emulator, that works on the Pi 1, will be released for a broader public?

Beste regards,

Meneer Jansen