IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to configure my USB joystick to work with CoolCV, but am not having much luck with the directional pad.

These are CoolCV's default settings:

up_1 key1073741906

right_1 key1073741903

down_1 key1073741905

left_1 key1073741904

When I do F7 so I can see the codes for my joystick I get this:

up - Axis4 Key-32768

right - Axis3 Key32767

down - Axis4 Key32767

left - Axis3 Key-32768

Not sure how to plug those in.

Oddly enough, I have left and right movement on my joystick with the default settings, but not up and down.

I hope to make CoolCV use configurable joystick axis in next version, currently these are fixed at 0 and 1.

Ah, would that explain why I can get some joystick movement, but not in all directions? I mentioned it here once before, but don't remember exactly...like pressing right would go right and down, but pressing left would do nothing.

I hope to make CoolCV use configurable joystick axis in next version, currently these are fixed at 0 and 1.

@the_xman

Shaders and overlays are a feature of the libretro cores. Being a standalone emulator, CoolCV would have to implement something similar separately.

@nanochess

I really have to compliment you on CoolCV. I've been enjoying it immensely on my Raspberry Pi 3 since it was included in RetroPie last year. Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, it is currently all but unplayable there now due to a mysterious slow down issue. As also mentioned, the project leader at RetroPie has been made aware of the problem, but depending on the cause, it might be that very little can be done on RetroPie's end to solve the issue. I've personally tried many things to alleviate the problem, such as setting the framebuffer to lower color depths, as well as testing multiple resolutions and overclock settings. All the while CoolCV, never takes up more than 30% of the CPU while performing so slowly.

I noticed above that you're already considering certain features for your next version. My hope here is that you consider including RetroPie specifically as a testing bed for the Raspberry Pi version in the future if you are not already doing so, as it will be where countless people will come into contact with the software. In whatever way this project progresses, I'd just like to thank you for the many hours I was able to enjoy the software in the past year. 'Princess Quest' was a particular treat to play and I look forward to seeing anything else you produce going forward. Thanks again for all your hard work and for your time here.

Edited by MediaMogul
  • Like 2

I really appreciate your work on this emulator. I may be wishing for the moon here, but since you've already done a raspberry pi version, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to tailor it to the ARM of the 3DS. The 3DS already has a lot of great systems emulated on it via libretro (and a handful of standalones), but one that is sorely missing is a Coleco emulator. It's got a port of fMSX, which I would think could be made to work with Coleco games, but CoolCV just blows everything else away.

Regardless, thanks so much for all you've done so far.

• Like 1

I really appreciate your work on this emulator. I may be wishing for the moon here, but since you've already done a raspberry pi version, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to tailor it to the ARM of the 3DS. The 3DS already has a lot of great systems emulated on it via libretro (and a handful of standalones), but one that is sorely missing is a Coleco emulator. It's got a port of fMSX, which I would think could be made to work with Coleco games, but CoolCV just blows everything else away.

Thanks, currently I've no idea whether 3DS development is easy or complicated, or development toolkits available.

There is a good coleco Emulator for Nintendo DS. I never tested it on 3DS , but could work in theory , i think.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to run CoolCV on Ubuntu ?

Because I am unable to run the linux versions, both 32-bits and 64-bits version on Ubuntu 16.04.

Both versions fade from white to black and then absolute nothingness : it freezes.

Using GDB does not tell me much, apparently it's stuck at nanosleep. (does it sleep for way too much ?)

I was able to run the Windows version via Wine but it's pretty slow on my AMD FX.

For comparison, i compiled MAME for my processor and it's able to run Colecovision games fullspeed unlike CoolCV.

(Too bad MAME does not support Megacart games...)

I sadly can't do that, nor that i can fix my Linux issues myself, because CoolCV is closed source, which is extremely disappointing.

What's causing the freezing ?

Edited by gameblabla

Has anyone managed to run CoolCV on Ubuntu ?

Because I am unable to run the linux versions, both 32-bits and 64-bits version on Ubuntu 16.04.

Both versions fade from white to black and then absolute nothingness : it freezes.

Using GDB does not tell me much, apparently it's stuck at nanosleep. (does it sleep for way too much ?)

I was able to run the Windows version via Wine but it's pretty slow on my AMD FX.

For comparison, i compiled MAME for my processor and it's able to run Colecovision games fullspeed unlike CoolCV.

(Too bad MAME does not support Megacart games...)

I sadly can't do that, nor that i can fix my Linux issues myself, because CoolCV is closed source, which is extremely disappointing.

What's causing the freezing ?

I'm compiling and testing in Fedora.

I'll need to give a look.

So i switched Ubuntu from ALSA to OSSv4 and now CoolCV (the linux version) works properly on my PC

Wine is not compatible with OSS but i did try CoolCV.exe again with Wine and i noticed it does the same thing than what it did on Linux :

Fades from white to black and then nothing.

Wine was spamming my terminal with the fact i had no sound devices.

I think you should handle errors better (even for the Raspberry Pi) than just having a black screen : some error reporting would be nice.

Anyway, it works now and it runs fullspeed, pretty cool emulator !

Edited by gameblabla
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Just want to say that now my qamba q1 harware (in my retropie homemade cabinet) works flawless with coolcv.

It was a joystick setting the problem. Just have to switch between the compatibility mode (PC/PS3/Xbox) whith the appropriate button and... bingo! Now I can play this wonderful emulator without any problem!

;-)

btw: GREAT work with coolcv.... superb emu!

post-50868-0-46167800-1489578358_thumb.jpg

post-50868-0-71904600-1489578394_thumb.jpg

Edited by theborga
  • Like 2

To play with my xbox360 controller I have to plug it and to choose the right buttons (by pressing F7 in Coolcv) and then put it on the "coolcv_mapping.txt" in home/pi.

the joystick work itself by doing nothing... I mean, plug and move on the games!

maybe some compatibilty problem? like the one that has make my qamba q1 NOT working on joy until i have realized that i have to push the "MODE" to choose PC instead PS?

Edited by theborga

• 2 weeks later...

How does one select full-screen mode in coolcv? This for windows version.

I'm afraid there is no full screen yet for Windows. SDL works just fine in Linux and Mac but in Windows only makes the window full-screen, I'll be researching this soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i am new here, and probably my question is a dumb one, but i will ask it.
A lot of people are using Hakchi2 for their NES Mini, they also are using RetroArch to load their emulators.

Is there someone willing to convert or reprogram CoolCV to be used with RetroArch, convert it to a libretro core.
Currently the only chance to play ColecoVision games is to convert them to a GBA (GameBoy Advance) and run that in a GBA emulator on a NES Mini.

Edited by Mad-Mega