IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

I have 1 request.

Make the manual actually readable.

Also, how do I properly go fullscreen?

As a new member to the forums I would think that you might show a little courtesy in your posts, especially when you're criticising someone who has created something for others to use for free. The topic you created where you rant and swear about how bad this emulator is hardly encourages others to help you. I suggest you take a deep breath, calm down, apologise and try asking again.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC5khEfrYmw

As a new member to the forums I would think that you might show a little courtesy in your posts, especially when you're criticising someone who has created something for others to use for free. The topic you created where you rant and swear about how bad this emulator is hardly encourages others to help you. I suggest you take a deep breath, calm down, apologise and try asking again.

• 1 month later...

Hello nanochess, very nice job on CoolCV !

I downloaded coolcv_v0.6.5_almost_all.zip on page 1 ...but it appears the zip file doesn't contain coolcv_pi executable for raspberry.

Is it possible for you to compile v0.6.5 for pi and add it to the zip? Thanks a lot for your help.

(coolcv_pi executable is already contained in v0.6.4, but I specifically need v0.6.5 or higher since it includes the upgrade about joystick axes)

Thank you so much for providing your good work to the community! It reminds me the good old days because ColecoVision was my very first step into videogames world. I was 5 and my parents were playing Donkey Kong on ColecoVision at that time... :waving:

Cheers and take care.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello nanochess, very nice job on CoolCV !

I downloaded coolcv_v0.6.5_almost_all.zip on page 1 ...but it appears the zip file doesn't contain coolcv_pi executable for raspberry.

Is it possible for you to compile v0.6.5 for pi and add it to the zip? Thanks a lot for your help.

(coolcv_pi executable is already contained in v0.6.4, but I specifically need v0.6.5 or higher since it includes the upgrade about joystick axes)

Thank you so much for providing your good work to the community! It reminds me the good old days because ColecoVision was my very first step into videogames world. I was 5 and my parents were playing Donkey Kong on ColecoVision at that time... :waving:

Cheers and take care.

The v0.6.6 now includes the Raspberry Pi version updated.

For developers also added Ctrl+Fn+F4 to save memory snapshots and Ctrl+Fn+F9 to log PSG values (both in Documents folder or home directory for Pi)

• Like 2

I have been making some pi consoles as gifts, some using pi3 and some using Pi Zero. The pi3 seems to work ok, but the zero seems to have choppy sound and game play. I haven't done an update to it on either pi version (last build was a few weeks ago), but does this update address the issue for the zero? Or has anyone else experienced it? The issue was present in 4 different pi zero builds I made and using retropie 4.3. Thank you for all you do.

I have been making some pi consoles as gifts, some using pi3 and some using Pi Zero. The pi3 seems to work ok, but the zero seems to have choppy sound and game play. I haven't done an update to it on either pi version (last build was a few weeks ago), but does this update address the issue for the zero? Or has anyone else experienced it? The issue was present in 4 different pi zero builds I made and using retropie 4.3. Thank you for all you do.

I still haven't looked into the issue, it should be probably one of lesser perfomance in Pi Zero. Same happens with some baseline Win10 laptops.

I'll try to look into it when I have time.

I still haven't looked into the issue, it should be probably one of lesser perfomance in Pi Zero. Same happens with some baseline Win10 laptops.

I'll try to look into it when I have time.

Thank you and I know you have a lot on your plate, you do more than enough for all of us to enjoy! I truly appreciate all you have done and all you continue to do!

Is there any way to configure the joystick (the directions, not the buttons)? the controller I use for my Raspberry Pi has analog sticks and a D-Pad (Similar to an Xbox 360 controller). CoolCV defaults to using the left analog stick for control. A lot of games are super difficult to play with the analog control, I hope I can somehow use the D-PAD instead but it doesn't even register as a keypress. Amazing emulator though!

Thanks!

Has anyone been able to figure out how to map an Xbox 360 d-pad to use as joystick 1 instead of the analog left stick (axis 0 and 1)? The d-pad in jstest displays the d-pad as axis 4 (left/right) and 5 (up/down) which correspond to Hat0X and Hat0Y. The values correspond to -32767, 0, 32767 (left & up, not pressed, right & down). Is this something that is hard-coded into CoolCV or can it be added to the coolcv_mapping.txt file? If so, what are the values that need to be entered? The analog stick is even worse than the original CV controller!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to map an Xbox 360 d-pad to use as joystick 1 instead of the analog left stick (axis 0 and 1)? The d-pad in jstest displays the d-pad as axis 4 (left/right) and 5 (up/down) which correspond to Hat0X and Hat0Y. The values correspond to -32767, 0, 32767 (left & up, not pressed, right & down). Is this something that is hard-coded into CoolCV or can it be added to the coolcv_mapping.txt file? If so, what are the values that need to be entered? The analog stick is even worse than the original CV controller!

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I wanted to do the same with a PS3 controller, but never managed to get it working...

As long as any of these return a value visible when using the F7 key (show codes) in CoolCV, you can map them to digital actions, replacing joy0_* with the code displayed:

up_1    joy0_0
right_1    joy0_1
down_1    joy0_2
left_1    joy0_3

With the new changes you can also disable the analog stick just mapping it to a non-existent joystick axis.

As long as any of these return a value visible when using the F7 key (show codes) in CoolCV, you can map them to digital actions, replacing joy0_* with the code displayed:

up_1    joy0_0
right_1    joy0_1
down_1    joy0_2
left_1    joy0_3

With the new changes you can also disable the analog stick just mapping it to a non-existent joystick axis.

Does F7 work on the RPi? I swear I had pressed it but nothing happened. I was expecting some sort of status message on the screen to display. Do I need to HOLD F7 while pressing a button or direction on the joypad? I'll try this when I get home later tonight.

Does F7 work on the RPi? I swear I had pressed it but nothing happened. I was expecting some sort of status message on the screen to display. Do I need to HOLD F7 while pressing a button or direction on the joypad? I'll try this when I get home later tonight.

I don't have at hand the RPi (I'm at work) but the latest version of CoolCV should display messages.

F7 works on the RPi

If it works, I'm not sure what you're doing that I'm not since it's not working for me. Pressing F7 does nothing. And I've already explained above that I've used jstest and reported what I'm getting in that post. How do I map those results?

If it works, I'm not sure what you're doing that I'm not since it's not working for me. Pressing F7 does nothing. And I've already explained above that I've used jstest and reported what I'm getting in that post. How do I map those results?

Download latest version v0.6.6 at first post.

I went till two pages before this one and I couldn't find your post.

Download latest version v0.6.6 at first post.

I went till two pages before this one and I couldn't find your post.

Not sure about majestyx, but I just downloaded 0.6.6 doe my RPi. F7 is working for me with this version.

And I now have the d-pad and the left joystick from the PS3 being able to be used to control things.

Awesome! Thanks!

• Like 1

Okay, it appears the problem is that RetroPie isn't downloading the latest version. The version it grabs is v0.6.2. Maybe we're talking about two different things - a RPi running RetroPie (my setup) while others may be using it as a stand-alone program. I see in the what's new file for 0.6.2 it does state that the RPi version shows status messages (including the key codes shown by F7), but I see absolutely no status messages anywhere.

The results I get with jstest are in my first post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-19?do=findComment&comment=3906168

...but maybe I didn't explain it clearly. So I'll try again.

You mention something about a joystick axis above. Is there a way to choose the axis? Because the XBOX 360's d-pad is mapped to axis 4 (Hat0X) for left & right and axis 5 (Hat0Y) for up & down. The directions do not correspond to any KEYS but instead if, for example, UP is pressed on the d-pad, axis 5's value changes from 0 to -32767. If I press the d-pad to the right, axis 4's value changes from 0 to 32767. My guess is there isn't a way to choose this. If there isn't, then I understand that it's an issue with the controller and I wouldn't expect you to go out of your way to program specifically for the XBOX 360 controller.

But what I'm not clear on is how the joystick is mapped to the ANALOG axis. The analog stick acts as the joystick, which is strange since the Coleco controller is digital (on/off as opposed to a value between -32767 and 32767). There are no options in the coolcv_mapping.txt that correspond to the analog stick (up, down, right, left are mapped to the keyboard arrow keys only in the mapping file) so I am guessing that is hard-coded into the emulator. If the analog stick worked better, I wouldn't be complaining, but just try to play Donkey Kong with it and see how far you get.

And so that I don't sound like an ingrate, I'd like to thank you immensely for the time and effort you've put into this emulator. It's so cool to see the machine I loved as a teenager on my modern HD screen!

Okay, it appears the problem is that RetroPie isn't downloading the latest version. The version it grabs is v0.6.2. Maybe we're talking about two different things - a RPi running RetroPie (my setup) while others may be using it as a stand-alone program. I see in the what's new file for 0.6.2 it does state that the RPi version shows status messages (including the key codes shown by F7), but I see absolutely no status messages anywhere.

The results I get with jstest are in my first post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-19?do=findComment&comment=3906168

...but maybe I didn't explain it clearly. So I'll try again.

You mention something about a joystick axis above. Is there a way to choose the axis? Because the XBOX 360's d-pad is mapped to axis 4 (Hat0X) for left & right and axis 5 (Hat0Y) for up & down. The directions do not correspond to any KEYS but instead if, for example, UP is pressed on the d-pad, axis 5's value changes from 0 to -32767. If I press the d-pad to the right, axis 4's value changes from 0 to 32767. My guess is there isn't a way to choose this. If there isn't, then I understand that it's an issue with the controller and I wouldn't expect you to go out of your way to program specifically for the XBOX 360 controller.

But what I'm not clear on is how the joystick is mapped to the ANALOG axis. The analog stick acts as the joystick, which is strange since the Coleco controller is digital (on/off as opposed to a value between -32767 and 32767). There are no options in the coolcv_mapping.txt that correspond to the analog stick (up, down, right, left are mapped to the keyboard arrow keys only in the mapping file) so I am guessing that is hard-coded into the emulator. If the analog stick worked better, I wouldn't be complaining, but just try to play Donkey Kong with it and see how far you get.

And so that I don't sound like an ingrate, I'd like to thank you immensely for the time and effort you've put into this emulator. It's so cool to see the machine I loved as a teenager on my modern HD screen!

I think you should update it manually but I don't know how because I don't use Retropie.

I've checked your post and once you update to CoolCV v0.6.6 you simply should add or change this in coolcv_mapping.txt:

joystick_1_vert    joy0    axis5
joystick_1_horiz    joy0    axis4

Don't worry, we're good :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. I attempted to use your suggested addition to the coolcv_mapping.txt file but this apparently wasn't yet implemented in 0.6.2 since those lines got deleted.

So it looks like I'll need to wait until the RetroPie install gets updated. I have no idea who takes care of that and I'm not sure how to update the current installation. I tried simply copying the coolcv_pi file from the 0.6.6. zip file here at AA to the RetroPie directory where that file is located, but after I did that, the program would not launch at all, dumping me back to the ROM select screen in emulation station.

Thanks for the explanation. I attempted to use your suggested addition to the coolcv_mapping.txt file but this apparently wasn't yet implemented in 0.6.2 since those lines got deleted.

So it looks like I'll need to wait until the RetroPie install gets updated. I have no idea who takes care of that and I'm not sure how to update the current installation. I tried simply copying the coolcv_pi file from the 0.6.6. zip file here at AA to the RetroPie directory where that file is located, but after I did that, the program would not launch at all, dumping me back to the ROM select screen in emulation station.

You missed doing this:

chmod 775 coolcv_pi

The file comes out of the ZIP without the right permissions

• Like 1

You missed doing this:

chmod 775 coolcv_pi

The file comes out of the ZIP without the right permissions

Ah, thanks for that. F7 does indeed now work on the RPi, so thanks for the explanation on that.

Unfortunately, coolcv_pi isn't reading the 4 & 5 axes. It reads all the buttons, the two analog sticks which are axes 0-3, but it reads nothing when pressing the d-pad. The program jstest does read them and shows them as I explained previously, which is the only reason I figured out what they were. Looks like I'll need to get a different controller.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

Ah, thanks for that. F7 does indeed now work on the RPi, so thanks for the explanation on that.

Unfortunately, coolcv_pi isn't reading the 4 & 5 axes. It reads all the buttons, the two analog sticks which are axes 0-3, but it reads nothing when pressing the d-pad. The program jstest does read them and shows them as I explained previously, which is the only reason I figured out what they were. Looks like I'll need to get a different controller.

Thanks again for your help!

I'm wondering if it's a failure of libsdl over RPi, because CoolCV gets its input info from there.

I'll add it to my TODO checking list.