IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

I love the simplicity of drag and drop. It just works without all the nonsense.

But then again...

I tried Smart Logo and the keyboard is not mapped and I see no way of remapping keys.

I use a PC under Windows 10.

That said..I mean come on... Backspace is to actually backspace and not reset.

It would be nice to have the setting stay set.

I love the idea of emulating reality but turbo mode on loading should be a definite yes or no and stay that way.

At present I am developing an all in one toolbox using VS2017.

The end result is a complete graphical environment that will compile a usable rom for an original Colecovision and a Supergame Generator up to 256k Datapack for the ADAM.

Of course it is all wish list and I am making some headway.

I've got MESS to use for testing purposes but hopefully you will continue the work because yours is ease of use with little overhead.

Edited by Mike Harris

I love the simplicity of drag and drop. It just works without all the nonsense.

But then again...

I tried Smart Logo and the keyboard is not mapped and I see no way of remapping keys.

I use a PC under Windows 10.

That said..I mean come on... Backspace is to actually backspace and not reset.

Check in your My Documents folder for the coolcv_mappings.txt file that allows you to change keyboard mapping.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for you Oscar - Have you ever considered adding mouse support to emulate the Roller Controller in both Joystick & Trackball mode? In MAME I use a mouse all the time to play games like Centipede Missile Command, and Arkanoid and it could work great with CoolCV on a desktop or a Rasperry Pi with a mouse or trackball connected to play games like Centipede, Operation Wolf, Strike It, Mindwalls, Armageddon, Jeepers Creepers, etc. I did a search in this thread and I didn't see anything about it ever being mentioned so if I missed it somehow I apologize!

Here's a question for you Oscar - Have you ever considered adding mouse support to emulate the Roller Controller in both Joystick & Trackball mode? In MAME I use a mouse all the time to play games like Centipede Missile Command, and Arkanoid and it could work great with CoolCV on a desktop or a Rasperry Pi with a mouse or trackball connected to play games like Centipede, Operation Wolf, Strike It, Mindwalls, Armageddon, Jeepers Creepers, etc. I did a search in this thread and I didn't see anything about it ever being mentioned so if I missed it somehow I apologize!

The roller controller is emulated using mouse ;) not tested in some time but it should work just fine across platforms.

Merry Christmas Oscar!

Merry Christmas! :)

I have used the Roller Controller and Driving Wheel in CoolCV using an interface (http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php) successfully. It works beautifully!

• Like 1

I have used the Roller Controller and Driving Wheel in CoolCV using an interface (http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php) successfully. It works beautifully!

I'll have to connect it to the Pi and see if it works for me as well! (I do have one) I asked specifically about the mouse though as I always keep one hooked up to play MAME games and it works awesome! That way I wouldn't have to disconnect and re-install other hardware. It's also an option for people who want to play those games but may not have a Roller Controller or the interface (which is awesome, BTW!)

• Like 1

The roller controller is emulated using mouse ;) not tested in some time but it should work just fine across platforms.

Huh. I will try it again! I actually did test on both my Pi using a Microsoft USB wired mouse and also on the Mac using a Bluetooth mouse and neither one of them worked pressing F5 to toggle the Roller Controller.

Aha! I see what my problem was. I was using Centipede to test with, which does not work with the mouse, but Slither does! I did not realize that Centipede was not actually made for the Roller Controller. So I guess my next question would be, could you add mouse support that would emulate the roller controller's "joystick mode?" Because games like Centipede and Jeepers Creepers sure do work a lot better with that controller in that mode.

Any way to edit the controller setup to use with a Xbox360 controller? Left analog stick works fine for movement but up on the d-pad is left fire.

Go back to the previous page and see the discussion which starts here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-19?do=findComment&comment=3906168

It's apparently due to the XBOX 360's d-pad being mapped as axes 4 & 5 which don't seem to be read within coolcv.

Aha! I see what my problem was. I was using Centipede to test with, which does not work with the mouse, but Slither does! I did not realize that Centipede was not actually made for the Roller Controller. So I guess my next question would be, could you add mouse support that would emulate the roller controller's "joystick mode?" Because games like Centipede and Jeepers Creepers sure do work a lot better with that controller in that mode.

Hmmm, that could be a good idea, essentially moving the mouse would be the equivalent of pushing several times the direction stick. I'll add it to my TODO list.

Any way to edit the controller setup to use with a Xbox360 controller? Left analog stick works fine for movement but up on the d-pad is left fire.

Go back to the previous page and see the discussion which starts here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-19?do=findComment&comment=3906168

It's apparently due to the XBOX 360's d-pad being mapped as axes 4 & 5 which don't seem to be read within coolcv.

I really need to get a USB XBox 360 controller to test in all four platforms.

Myself I've a NES gamepad USB controller where some buttons aren't "visible" by CoolCV, I'm still checking why this happens.

Hmmm, that could be a good idea, essentially moving the mouse would be the equivalent of pushing several times the direction stick. I'll add it to my TODO list.

Is that how the Roller Controller emulates the joystick when switched to that mode? I hadn't really thought about it until I started using a mouse with MAME and saw how well it worked with some of those analog games where it made be realize "Huh, if games like Kaboom!, Jeepers Creepers, Operation Wolf, Centipede, etc all play awesome with the Roller Controller in joystick mode, why couldn't a mouse emulate that also?"

I hope it's not too much work!

Is that how the Roller Controller emulates the joystick when switched to that mode? I hadn't really thought about it until I started using a mouse with MAME and saw how well it worked with some of those analog games where it made be realize "Huh, if games like Kaboom!, Jeepers Creepers, Operation Wolf, Centipede, etc all play awesome with the Roller Controller in joystick mode, why couldn't a mouse emulate that also?"

I hope it's not too much work!

You can try it with the Mame coleco vision emulator to see how it works. Mame lets you configure a mouse for joystick input. When a mouse is configured as an analog control, like Atari Kaboom, it will be different than when it's configured as a digital joystick.

Ah - I was hoping to see how the emulator communicated with the adapter that plugs into the usb to use an adam keyboard, translated the data from the keyboard, requested etc, unless that is all done on the adapter (ie the adam keyboard is just a pc keyboard after being plugged into the adapter) then the source code would not be helpful.

Milli

Oh. I see. All is done in the adapter. My code reads a standard keyboard.

Very cool work! I greatly appreciate this gift! I do have a constructive issue thou. I have this running on my pi without issue. But I noted on my laptop, which is running ubuntu 16.04, and retropi installed from source. That the coolcv_pi app listed as an optional emulator #108 on pi. is not available to install on my laptop version of retropi. Is there a huge enough OS gap that causes this not be available on Ubuntu 16?

Happy New Years!

• Like 1

Very cool work! I greatly appreciate this gift! I do have a constructive issue thou. I have this running on my pi without issue. But I noted on my laptop, which is running ubuntu 16.04, and retropi installed from source. That the coolcv_pi app listed as an optional emulator #108 on pi. is not available to install on my laptop version of retropi. Is there a huge enough OS gap that causes this not be available on Ubuntu 16?

Happy New Years!

Not an idea! I would need to install this version on my Pi and test myself to give you a proper answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'ml liking CoolCV but I have a question. I've tried to play SG-1000 games but with very little luck with the roms I've tried. For instance, N-Sub will only fire one way, The Castle won't boot up at all, Hang On II won't move, etc. The only thing I have done is change the fire button mappings, etc. All the ColecoVision games work great. Do SG-1000 games use different buttons? I use the current version of CoolCV but I went back to 6.0 to see if that make a difference but I get the same thing. I'm using Windows 10. Thanks.

Chuck

I'ml liking CoolCV but I have a question. I've tried to play SG-1000 games but with very little luck with the roms I've tried. For instance, N-Sub will only fire one way, The Castle won't boot up at all, Hang On II won't move, etc. The only thing I have done is change the fire button mappings, etc. All the ColecoVision games work great. Do SG-1000 games use different buttons? I use the current version of CoolCV but I went back to 6.0 to see if that make a difference but I get the same thing. I'm using Windows 10. Thanks.

Chuck

I'll give a look, it should have worked just fine but I could have made a mistake.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this working on my Pi3.

But with the joystick setup I edited coolcv_mapping.txt.

I entered:

joystick_1_vert joy0 axis3
joystick_1_horiz joy0 axis0
joystick_2_vert joy1 axis3
joystick_2_horiz joy1 axis0
Up and down are ok
Left and right are swapped??
How can i fix this?
Greetings,
Pat

I got this working on my Pi3.

But with the joystick setup I edited coolcv_mapping.txt.

I entered:

joystick_1_vert joy0 axis3

joystick_1_horiz joy0 axis0

joystick_2_vert joy1 axis3

joystick_2_horiz joy1 axis0

Up and down are ok

Left and right are swapped??

How can i fix this?

Greetings,

Pat

Thanks for reporting this!

I'll need to add an option to negate axis in next release. Never thought it could be needed.