IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to work in it continuously but unfortunately I'm sidetracked by a lot of things.

Typically I work on it a few days every 3 or 6 months.

For next time you do work on it, would you please consider adding configuration switches for thing like Tape Speed? Default is slow. It would be sweet if default Slow/Fast could be set in the config file. I am sure there are other options that might be nice to have such as roller controller. Thanks!

• Like 1

For next time you do work on it, would you please consider adding configuration switches for thing like Tape Speed? Default is slow. It would be sweet if default Slow/Fast could be set in the config file. I am sure there are other options that might be nice to have such as roller controller. Thanks!

In Mac OS X pressing Fn+F5 enables/disables the Roller Controller, it's F5 for Windows and Linux.

Another requested feature is to use the mouse as a joystick, I've this in my notes.

Ah, thanks for that. F7 does indeed now work on the RPi, so thanks for the explanation on that.

Unfortunately, coolcv_pi isn't reading the 4 & 5 axes. It reads all the buttons, the two analog sticks which are axes 0-3, but it reads nothing when pressing the d-pad. The program jstest does read them and shows them as I explained previously, which is the only reason I figured out what they were. Looks like I'll need to get a different controller.

Thanks again for your help!

Hi again nanochess,

Is there any chance that the 4 & 5 axes will be implemented in a future update of CoolCV? This is in regard to the d-pad not being read on an X-BOX 360 controller. Just tried playing some of the Super Game Module games in your emulator but the analog controller just doesn't cut it. I see you have a lot on your plate, but if there's a chance you can look into this, I and others would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this project!

• Like 1

Hello,

I have coolcv installed with RetroPi on my Raspberry Pi. I purchased Arcade Joysticks to use for this and they are listed as SHANWAN Android Gamepad. When I use jstest, the analog joystick shows up as Axis 7 for vertical and Axis 6 for Horizontal. For the life of me I cannot get these joystick portion to work with coolcv. The buttons I can get working. I have the normal:

up_1 key1073741906

right_1 key1073741903
down_1 key1073741905
left_1 key1073741904
But this does not work. I am assuming my problem is that those settings may be for Axis 3 and 4 for some of the popular Game Pads on an auction site, but I need support for Axis 7 and 6.
For the heck of it I put in:
joystick_1_vert joy0 axis7
joystick_1_horiz joy0 axis6
As that is listed late in this thread, but when I start CoolCV, those entries get wiped out and the config file gets overwritten which I assume is because those settings aren't supported? (seems odd but this happens when I execute coolcv_pi from the command line too).
Is there anything I can do to get coolcv to support other axis's so I can use my Arcade Joysticks? Nothing I hate more than those game pads, and I don't like PS3 joysticks as much as the old fashion joysticks. Any help would be great.
Osxster

For the heck of it I put in:

joystick_1_vert joy0 axis7

joystick_1_horiz joy0 axis6

As that is listed late in this thread, but when I start CoolCV, those entries get wiped out and the config file gets overwritten which I assume is because those settings aren't supported? (seems odd but this happens when I execute coolcv_pi from the command line too).

I think you've multiple versions installed of CoolCV and one is these is called before the other, and being older it erases your setting.

I checked my findsystem, I only have one coolcv_pi on the filesystem. I call the one in /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv manually from the command line and I get the same results. How do I know what version I am running? I am using the latest download of RetroPi which I flashed on a dedicated flash card. I also ran the update to update RetroPi and all active packages to the latest version. Looking at the cool video.txt file, I see the below. Could this not be the latest version and how would I get the latest version if it is not.

Last revision: Nov/27/2015.

Any help would be great.

Osxster

I checked my findsystem, I only have one coolcv_pi on the filesystem. I call the one in /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv manually from the command line and I get the same results. How do I know what version I am running? I am using the latest download of RetroPi which I flashed on a dedicated flash card. I also ran the update to update RetroPi and all active packages to the latest version. Looking at the cool video.txt file, I see the below. Could this not be the latest version and how would I get the latest version if it is not.

Last revision: Nov/27/2015.

Any help would be great.

Osxster

Do the following:

- Download the latest version from the very first post in this thread (0.6.6)
- copy coolcv_pi to the proper location on your RPi
- type chmod 775 coolcv_pi
You'll now be running on the latest version.
I believe it can only read the 0-3 axes. The d-pad on my XBOX 360 controller uses the 4 & 5 axes and is not being read when pressing F7 in the emulator.

@nanochess : I've been playing around with Lord of the Dungeon and CoolCV and was blown away to find that if I reset the console (backspace) the game still remembered the party of characters that I had previously created as well as the "Cartridge Statistics" that are displayed. Seeing as this data was stored on the game cart and retained with the support of a backup battery, am I right in assuming that you added specific support for the Lord of the Dungeon on cart memory to CoolCV?

@nanochess : I've been playing around with Lord of the Dungeon and CoolCV and was blown away to find that if I reset the console (backspace) the game still remembered the party of characters that I had previously created as well as the "Cartridge Statistics" that are displayed. Seeing as this data was stored on the game cart and retained with the support of a backup battery, am I right in assuming that you added specific support for the Lord of the Dungeon on cart memory to CoolCV?

Yes. There is specific support for Lord of Dungeon. The fact that CoolCV doesn't delete RAM on reset is what allows to keep data for next session.

I forgot if RAM content is saved in snapshots. Need to check.

Yes. There is specific support for Lord of Dungeon. The fact that CoolCV doesn't delete RAM on reset is what allows to keep data for next session.

I forgot if RAM content is saved in snapshots. Need to check.

No need to check - the RAM contents must be saved in snapshots because my party of characters, their stats as well as the "Cartridge Stats" are all preserved when restoring a saved snapshot.

I'm extremely impressed with how CoolCV works with Lord of the Dungeon. So far I have found it to behave in exactly the same way the cart does with a real CV. For example, performing a system reset in the midst of a Lord of the Dungeon game behaves just like the real cartridge in that your party of characters, their stats, as well as the "Cartridge Stats" are all preserved. But, just like the cart, if you reset the game while in the middle of a battle then upon restarting the game your party is "wiped out".

Fantastic stuff - thank you nanochess :-D

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have this model controller:

https://www.amazon.com/Matricom-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Controller-Compatible/dp/B01EO5QPN2

Is there any way to set it up in the bindings text file so it uses the D-Pad for movement instead of the thumbstick?

If the buttons doesn't appear when you press them (using F7 to show codes), then isn't possible.

It has happened to me with a NES USB controller, the D-Pad is not accessible.

https://www.amazon.com/Mekela-Classic-Controller-Gamepad-resembles/dp/B075ZN1GXK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524184415&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=nes+usb&psc=1&smid=A1BTDO7WJHXKQP

• 5 months later...

Mr. Nanochess - would there happen to be an "official" list of to-do's and want-to-do's for coolcv?

Currently it's a private list, because there are some things that people really needs but my time isn't allowing to implement, so I don't want everyone to keep waiting impatiently.

I bought a retronic designs usb adapter for colecovision controllers and, after having totally given up on ever being able to use a proper controller on a retropie, I'm trying to figure out how to edit the button layout in CoolCV on windows and cant figure out how to do it. Is there any way to reassign buttons to that the keypad will work? The action buttons and joystick works but its still impossible to get the number pad recognized.

I bought a retronic designs usb adapter for colecovision controllers and, after having totally given up on ever being able to use a proper controller on a retropie, I'm trying to figure out how to edit the button layout in CoolCV on windows and cant figure out how to do it. Is there any way to reassign buttons to that the keypad will work? The action buttons and joystick works but its still impossible to get the number pad recognized.

If you can't get it to work I use the vision-adapters and they work right out of the box with no configuration editing needed.

While I have, and love, the Vision-daptor, it doesn't support the ColecoVision Roller Controller. My go to adaptor now is the Ultimate PC Interface which was designed by the same guy who designed the Vision-daptor, The website for the Ultimate adapter also includes suggested configuration files for using it with CoolCV.

• Like 1

So is this the best CV emulator for windows? Sorry new to CV emu scene and all the phoenix news has me wanting to try some CV games.

Does CoolCV have SGM support?

Yes, it supports the SGM.

Best emulators are for CV are BlueMsx, CoolCV, Adamem and then MAME/MESS.

• Like 1

Yes, it supports the SGM.

Best emulators are for CV are BlueMsx, CoolCV, Adamem and then MAME/MESS.

While BlueMSX has great CV emulation it does have some issues and appears to be no longer under development. I don't recall clearly but my recollection is that the SGM was never successfully supported and there were issues when using real CV controllers with rotary movement such as the driving controller, roller controller and the spinner on the super action controllers. Whereas with CoolCV all of these work, more or less out of the box, and so CoolCV is now my go to CV emulator replacing BlueMSX after many years.

• Like 1