IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

So for all us iMac users - install libSDL, run the CoolCV application - that's it?

Should be, for macOS users. This is a known issue mentioned upthread a while back (posts #338 to #340) where the libSDL packaged in the application bundle isn't (always? sometimes?) recognized as intended.

EDIT: "OS X" -> "macOS"

Edited by mumbai

Sorry! I don't know what happens. I don't know Launchbox nor I've tested it.

If CoolCV already worked in your setup, and doesn't work after installing LaunchBox, and also makes another emulator to fail, then it's pretty probable LaunchBox messed up your display settings.

The problem was the monitor. In case someone ever has a similar issue. I swapped to other monitor...and is now working fine. Weirdest issue.

• Like 1

The problem was the monitor. In case someone ever has a similar issue. I swapped to other monitor...and is now working fine. Weirdest issue.

Just searched for problem reports in libSDL and apparently there is a unsolved problem with different DPI settings in separate monitors https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41745492/sdl2-how-to-position-a-window-on-a-second-monitor

Yes, that will get the app to launch (without libSDL it will fail silently).

However I do find that the audio can be choppy compared to (for example) OpenEMU.

That's weird, I have the opposite problem. By the way, OpenEmu is not a emulator, it's a collection of emulators. I believe it uses CrabEMU for Colecovision roms.

Has anyone tried to set up WiiPro controller via mayflash?. Coolcv does not recognize them at all. Do I need call them differently (other than joy) in the config mappings? I am setting up mayflash in dinput mode, the controller is recognized successfully and it is working properly in all other applications. OS id won 7 64. Thanks!

Edited by alortegac

• 3 weeks later...

@Nanochess,
Glad to see this thread is still chuggin'.
I recently installed CoolCV on a Raspberry Pi Zero W for the first time, and while I got it fully up and running, controller mapped properly, still it runs a bit laggy.
It starts with sound slightly stuttering and it seems to get progressively worse with time while playing a game.
Just wondering if there are any tips or tricks to squeeze additional performance out of CoolCV.

I have not yet gone as far as to overclock my Pi, I want to save that as a last resort.
Any tips from the creator?
Thanks again for all you do with CoolCV!
-Dave

@Nanochess,

I recently installed CoolCV on a Raspberry Pi Zero W for the first time, and while I got it fully up and running, controller mapped properly, still it runs a bit laggy.

It starts with sound slightly stuttering and it seems to get progressively worse with time while playing a game.

Just wondering if there are any tips or tricks to squeeze additional performance out of CoolCV.

I have not yet gone as far as to overclock my Pi, I want to save that as a last resort.

-Dave

The Pi Zero isn't really overclockable

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=177743

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127934

and many more topics floating around out there

You can try the new RPi3 A+ is you want a smallish formfactor

I've used coolcv on my RPi3B builds, but not in my Pi0 builds (for no particular reason).

@Nanochess,

-Dave

I don't have tested with Pi Zero, but it has performance equal less perfomance in comparison to Pi 2. I remember overclocking the Pi 2 to get the required speed but once I updated the base system it got slow again.

As I've been using Pi 3 I don't have yet returned to it to check if I can improve perfomance. Sorry.

I don't have tested with Pi Zero, but it has performance equal to Pi 2. I remember overclocking the Pi 2 to get the required speed but once I updated the base system it got slow again.

As I've been using Pi 3 I don't have yet returned to it to check if I can improve performance. Sorry.

The performance of the Pi0 and the Pi2 are not quite the same.

The Pi0 has 1-core CPU @1000MHz (1GHz) and 512MB of ram, but the Pi2 had 4-core CPU @900MHz and 1GB of ram

There is a fairly complete comparison chart:

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/raspberrypi-models-comparison

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm afraid I have an extremely stupid question.

I've found the Coolcv mapping text file. How do I know what the key number is on my controller? Is there a program that can tell me what key number is "Up" is on my D-pad, so that I can make a change in the text file?

Sorry for the dense question.

Thanks!

Not a dense question at all. I had the same difficulty to start with.

To figure out the key number start CoolCV and press F7 (it will display Checking Codes in the top left of CoolCV for a few seconds). Then whenever you do anything on your controller it will display the key number in the top left of CoolCV.

You can press F7 again to disable the key number being displayed.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Until COLEM gets around to providing ADAM support your seems to be the best one out there outside of MESS which is, a MESS.

A few major points of issue.

Even in the key mapping the backspace is key 8.
But you have key 8 hard coded to reset the system I guess for linux or the pi....

For at least Windows that needs to change.

It always boots up in coleco mode so I can't get access to the word processor or early file manipulation.
Is it possible to have a command line setting that we can put it in the Coolcv Mapping file.

Is it also possible that once you select ultra fast disk/ddp that it stays that way instead of selecting it each time run.

If I had an ultimate ONE wish it would be to have all keys 100% re-mapable including the system keys.
I would love to use the first 6 function keys, home, delete and all that without system reset, snapshots and all that jazz.

The way it is you can't use your keyboard seamlessly without the hard coded system getting in the way.
If you can then I am not aware of it.

Thanks, don't stop developing this because it's the best one out there.

Edited by Mike Harris

Until COLEM gets around to providing ADAM support your seems to be the best one out there outside of MESS which is, a MESS.

A few major points of issue.

Even in the key mapping the backspace is key 8.

But you have key 8 hard coded to reset the system I guess for linux or the pi....

For at least Windows that needs to change.

It always boots up in coleco mode so I can't get access to the word processor or early file manipulation.

Is it possible to have a command line setting that we can put it in the Coolcv Mapping file.

Is it also possible that once you select ultra fast disk/ddp that it stays that way instead of selecting it each time run.

If I had an ultimate ONE wish it would be to have all keys 100% re-mapable including the system keys.

All keys are able to be remapped including the emulator shorcuts. The names for the keys are:

key_save
    key_restore
    key_exit
    key_pause
    key_reset
    key_rolling_controller
    key_record_video
    key_record_audio
    key_screenshot
    key_fast_disk
    key_sync
    key_codes
And the Adam keys for configuration are these:

adam_nul adam_soh adam_stx adam_etx adam_eot adam_enq adam_ack adam_bel
    adam_bs adam_ht adam_lf adam_vt adam_ff adam_cr adam_so adam_si
    adam_dle adam_dc1 adam_dc2 adam_dc3 adam_dc4 adam_nak adam_syn adam_etb
    adam_can adam_em adam_sub adam_esc adam_fs adam_gs adam_rs adam_us

adam_space adam_exclamation adam_quotes adam_number
    adam_dollar adam_percent adam_ampersand adam_apostrophe

adam_leftparen adam_rightparen adam_multiply adam_plus
    adam_comma adam_minus adam_period adam_slash

adam_colon adam_semicolon adam_less adam_equals adam_greater adam_question
    adam_at

adam_leftsquare adam_backslash adam_rightsquare adam_power adam_underscore
    adam_grave

adam_leftbracket
    adam_bar
    adam_rightbracket
    adam_tilde

adam_del
    adam_home
    adam_i
    adam_ii
    adam_iii
    adam_iv
    adam_v
    adam_vi

adam_shift_i
    adam_shift_ii
    adam_shift_iii
    adam_shift_iv
    adam_shift_v
    adam_shift_vi

adam_wildcard
    adam_undo
    adam_move
    adam_store
    adam_insert
    adam_print
    adam_clear
    adam_delete
    adam_shift_wildcard
    adam_shift_undo
    adam_shift_move
    adam_shift_store
    adam_shift_insert
    adam_shift_print
    adam_shift_clear
    adam_shift_delete

adam_up
    adam_right
    adam_down
    adam_left
    adam_ctrl_up
    adam_ctrl_right
    adam_ctrl_down
    adam_ctrl_left
    adam_up_right
    adam_right_down
    adam_down_left
    adam_left_up
    adam_home_up
    adam_home_right
    adam_home_down
    adam_home_left

adam_shift_backspace
    adam_shift_tab
Internally these are configured to use combinations of keys and Shift, Ctrl or Alt.

I've plans to preserve the state of fast disk and of course to boot into ADAM without using a disk/tape file.

I would love to use the first 6 function keys, home, delete and all that without system reset, snapshots and all that jazz.

The way it is you can't use your keyboard seamlessly without the hard coded system getting in the way.

If you can then I am not aware of it.

Thanks, don't stop developing this because it's the best one out there.

I hope you can now configure the keyboard at your taste.

I have no clue what I am doing wrong because I, in 100% all honesty, have remapped the keys and they don't stick.

As an example, I remapped the backspace key to the ADAM keyboard backspace and all it will do is reset the emulator.

And trust me when I say, not blowing smoke, I love this emulator and it's simplicity.

OK, trying a new approach.
change the reset key to a different value.
It may be that I am trying to map what is already defined and when I look through the entire list in the coolcv map IS defined as reset 08 and backspace 08 by default but reset comes first so ???

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Like 1