IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Just now, Ikrananka said:

Yes, directly from the designer: http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php - US$69

Thanks. eBay is such a hoot. Is the version 2 from 2012 or version 3 from 2018 better. Just wondering if less is more in terms of all the slightly different equipment crammed into the 2018 version and the effectiveness of the Autosense. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried to use CoolCV for Adam emulation.  When I dragged and dropped a SmartBasic.ddp file (a cassette image) into CoolCV, it will start up in SmartWriter instead of booting SmartBasic.  I d/l'd SB from the Adamarchive.org site (version 1.0, not 1.x or 1.0 with additional disc operations, but what should be the original SB that I used and loved and loathed back in the day).  I have not tried other versions, but was wondering if I am doing something wrong?  I am running CoolCV on a Windows 10 laptop that says it is "up-to-date".

Thank you,

Paul 

7 minutes ago, FmrAdamuser said:

I tried to use CoolCV for Adam emulation.  When I dragged and dropped a SmartBasic.ddp file (a cassette image) into CoolCV, it will start up in SmartWriter instead of booting SmartBasic.  I d/l'd SB from the Adamarchive.org site (version 1.0, not 1.x or 1.0 with additional disc operations, but what should be the original SB that I used and loved and loathed back in the day).  I have not tried other versions, but was wondering if I am doing something wrong?  I am running CoolCV on a Windows 10 laptop that says it is "up-to-date".

I just did the same with a SmartBasic v1.dsk and a SmartBasic V2.dsk and CoolCV loaded them with me dragging the files on top of CoolCV. If it is going to SmartWriter, it sounds like you have a bad file. The emulator is recognizing it to be an Adam file since it is taking you to SmartBasic. In SmartWriter, try to see if you can see the files on the "tape".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, intvdave said:

I just did the same with a SmartBasic v1.dsk and a SmartBasic V2.dsk and CoolCV loaded them with me dragging the files on top of CoolCV. If it is going to SmartWriter, it sounds like you have a bad file. The emulator is recognizing it to be an Adam file since it is taking you to SmartBasic. In SmartWriter, try to see if you can see the files on the "tape".

I will have to try the SmartBasic disk images I have.  I am able to use that .ddp file with Virtual Adam.  I have other issues with that emulator that I will put in another thread.  Thanks for testing. 

A related question (for anyone who can answer), is there a way to use two disks, like VA can do?  I mean, I have a "blank" disk image that I would like to use to write txt files with BASIC code to and load the files from it into SB, so I can keep the SB disk or ddp free of files outside of SB. 

Thank you,

Paul

12 minutes ago, FmrAdamuser said:

A related question (for anyone who can answer), is there a way to use two disks, like VA can do?  I mean, I have a "blank" disk image that I would like to use to write txt files with BASIC code to and load the files from it into SB, so I can keep the SB disk or ddp free of files outside of SB. 

I use AdamEM to handle multiple disk/ddps. I believe I have accessed 4 drives with it. I do not believe CoolCV handles more than one drive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, intvdave said:

I use AdamEM to handle multiple disk/ddps. I believe I have accessed 4 drives with it. I do not believe CoolCV handles more than one drive.

OK, thanks.  I have been using Virtual Adam which I believe is a frontend for AdamEm.  I posted about the issue I was having over in that thread.  I am able to run SB 1.0 with disk enhancements disk image in one disk drive with a blank floppy in the other drive, but not with the SB ddp image and a blank disk in one of the drives (tried all 4).  It will only boot to SW like that,  take out the disk and try it again and it boots right to the SB.  Perhaps its the mixing of cassette image to disk.  I want to say, and it has been a couple of decades since I used my actual Adam, that I believe I was able to use my SB cassette with my Adam floppy disk drive.

34 minutes ago, FmrAdamuser said:

OK, thanks.  I have been using Virtual Adam which I believe is a frontend for AdamEm.  I posted about the issue I was having over in that thread.  I am able to run SB 1.0 with disk enhancements disk image in one disk drive with a blank floppy in the other drive, but not with the SB ddp image and a blank disk in one of the drives (tried all 4).  It will only boot to SW like that,  take out the disk and try it again and it boots right to the SB.  Perhaps its the mixing of cassette image to disk.  I want to say, and it has been a couple of decades since I used my actual Adam, that I believe I was able to use my SB cassette with my Adam floppy disk drive.

I think I just answered this in another post...but...

If you are trying to boot SmartBasic from a ddp and have any kind of disk inserted elsewhere, ADAM is going to try to boot the disk. so if it's a blank, non-bootable disk, it's going to go to SmartWriter. The disk always boots first over a ddp.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

I think I just answered this in another post...but...

If you are trying to boot SmartBasic from a ddp and have any kind of disk inserted elsewhere, ADAM is going to try to boot the disk. so if it's a blank, non-bootable disk, it's going to go to SmartWriter. The disk always boots first over a ddp.

OK, if you answered that in the thread I created, I will respond there.  Thanks.

BTW, I dragged and dropped SB 1.0 with disk enhancements.dsk to CoolCV and it booted into SB.  Do other cassette images work with CoolCV?  Like Buck Rogers, Dragon's Lair, etc.? 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:40 PM, FmrAdamuser said:

OK, if you answered that in the thread I created, I will respond there.  Thanks.

BTW, I dragged and dropped SB 1.0 with disk enhancements.dsk to CoolCV and it booted into SB.  Do other cassette images work with CoolCV?  Like Buck Rogers, Dragon's Lair, etc.? 

All of them work.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2021 at 10:41 AM, nanochess said:

All of them work.

I don't suppose there is a way to use a camera/IR lightgun in place of the mouse for the roller controller games. I just got a Sinden Light Gun. Two, actually. I think it might work in MAME's CV, but I would like to try CV versions of Armageddon, Operation Wolf, etc. with the SLG.

9 hours ago, Swami said:

I don't suppose there is a way to use a camera/IR lightgun in place of the mouse for the roller controller games. I just got a Sinden Light Gun. Two, actually. I think it might work in MAME's CV, but I would like to try CV versions of Armageddon, Operation Wolf, etc. with the SLG.

Hmm - I've just received my two Sinden light guns and had never even thought about using them with CV games.  Now that would be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I have just stayed up too late or what, but I feel like a simple issue is really stumping me. I have used CoolCV and Joytokey to successfully utilize my favorite nes joystick to play some games without issue.. Upon attempting to use a wired Nintendo Switch controller, it seems CoolCV recognizes almost every input besides the dpad. It's odd that my computer and Joytokey both detect input from the dpad, and CoolCV recognizes controls channeled through Joytokey.. yet with or without the help of Joytokey, I can not get CoolCV to detect anything when I press the dpad on the switch controller. Does anyone have any idea what is stopping the signal from getting to the emulator?

On 6/13/2021 at 2:46 AM, WispFollower said:

I'm not sure if I have just stayed up too late or what, but I feel like a simple issue is really stumping me. I have used CoolCV and Joytokey to successfully utilize my favorite nes joystick to play some games without issue.. Upon attempting to use a wired Nintendo Switch controller, it seems CoolCV recognizes almost every input besides the dpad. It's odd that my computer and Joytokey both detect input from the dpad, and CoolCV recognizes controls channeled through Joytokey.. yet with or without the help of Joytokey, I can not get CoolCV to detect anything when I press the dpad on the switch controller. Does anyone have any idea what is stopping the signal from getting to the emulator?

I've to say that unfortunately it looks like a problem with libSDL. Myself I've a NES-style gamepad and I cannot get it to detect the D-pad. I'll try later to update the SDL version to see if something has improved.

I have found a great hybrid method which allows me to get the precision controls i need and is easier on my thumbs. I hold a power-a nintendo switch controller loosely in my right hand and use the face buttons for left and right fire, #, and *. My left hand uses wasd on the keyboard for movement. It works really well, and i might be on the road to beat some of my high scores!

Thanks for the work you put into this emulator, i really appreciate it. I used it for probably eight hours straight yesterday. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of getting this to work on my THEVIC20, I have already got Atari800 and Atari++ emulators working on it, there run from the USB Stick(in PCUAE) they use SDL, it has 256 memory and Linux Buildroot..?

Dose this have the RPI version in it already and built...?

Edited by Spanner

On 6/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, nanochess said:

I've to say that unfortunately it looks like a problem with libSDL. Myself I've a NES-style gamepad and I cannot get it to detect the D-pad. I'll try later to update the SDL version to see if something has improved.

Hi I was wondering if you could compile CoolCV Emulator for armhf SDL and no Pi specifics please...?

On 7/13/2021 at 2:27 PM, Spanner said:

Hi I was wondering if you could compile CoolCV Emulator for armhf SDL and no Pi specifics please...?

3 hours ago, Spanner said:

Is the source code available for CoolCV, I am willing to compile it myself...?

So far the source code isn't available.

What target platform uses armhf SDL?

On 7/15/2021 at 3:36 PM, zzip said:

I haven't been able to get it run on a Raspberry Pi 400.   I get the following error

rpicoolcv.thumb.png.db3fc0df535d5a46418172015c3c1870.png

I didn't knew of this new model. Apparently the Pi 400 changes something in video architecture.

I'll try to do something about it but probably I will have to get a Pi 400 before doing anything.

• 4 weeks later...