IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

On 1/17/2022 at 4:25 PM, nanochess said:

I've managed to compile a Pi 4 version binary compatible with Retropie (extension .so).

Also I've uploaded the binary for Mac OS X compatible with Retroarch (extension .dylib)

Because of my lack of knowledge of libretro, the keypad is selected like in FreeIntv using the buttons to make a tiny keypad to appear, select the key you want, and then use another button to input that key. Also to get this running fast I didn't bring the ADAM/SG-1000 support.

It is amazing to put a shader and get a CRT lookalike! Also it supports save states and rewind.

Thank you so much for getting this going! I have finally gotten around to installing it on the Pi4 and it launches and loads cartridges! Yay! I have seen how pressing L1 or R1 pulls up the little keypad to appear in the corner. However, when I select 1 or * to load a game and try to press another button to select my choice from the key pad, nothing happens. :(

Am I doing something wrong?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cdaters said:

Thank you so much for getting this going! I have finally gotten around to installing it on the Pi4 and it launches and loads cartridges! Yay! I have seen how pressing L1 or R1 pulls up the little keypad to appear in the corner. However, when I select 1 or * to load a game and try to press another button to select my choice from the key pad, nothing happens. :(

Am I doing something wrong?

Never mind. It looks like once I have chosen the keypad option I am looking for, I need to hit the "Y" button on Nintendo style controller to acknowledge my selection. On an X-Box controller, this is the "X"button. On a PlayStation style controller, this is the square button.

Additionally, I can confirm that this doesn't work on my Adam/SG-1000 files...yet! Perhaps the next version?

Thanks again @nanochess!

Edited by cdaters
Clearing up some language...
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:22 PM, jblenkle said:

Can someone tell me the proper way to input numbers on your PC keyboard while using CoolCV? I've got a game where you can input a code at the title screen, but nothing happens when I do so.

I've done the same thing on ColEm and it works fine there.

If you're using @nanochess's latest Pi4 verion of CoolCV, you use the L1 or L2 to pull up the virtual keypad in the lower corner of your screen. Navigate to the number you want to enter, then press the "Y" button if you are using a "Nintendo" style controller. On an X-Box controller, this is the "X"button. On a PlayStation style controller, this is the square button. Hope this helps!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cdaters said:

If you're using @nanochess's latest Pi4 verion of CoolCV, you use the L1 or L2 to pull up the virtual keypad in the lower corner of your screen. Navigate to the number you want to enter, then press the "Y" button if you are using a "Nintendo" style controller. On an X-Box controller, this is the "X"button. On a PlayStation style controller, this is the square button. Hope this helps!

No, not using the Pi4 version. This is the Windows version. With most emulators 0-9 are equivalent to the numbers 0-9 on the keyboard, but I get no results when I try to use those to enter the code. I'm wondering if you have to press another key too. Apparently with ColEm you have to press CTRL and the number which I've gotten to work on that emulator. But so far no luck with anything on CoolCV. I've only recently started using it because of its ability to make videos of the gameplay.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:14 PM, jblenkle said:

No, not using the Pi4 version. This is the Windows version. With most emulators 0-9 are equivalent to the numbers 0-9 on the keyboard, but I get no results when I try to use those to enter the code. I'm wondering if you have to press another key too. Apparently with ColEm you have to press CTRL and the number which I've gotten to work on that emulator. But so far no luck with anything on CoolCV. I've only recently started using it because of its ability to make videos of the gameplay.

The keyboard numbers are configured by default for controller 1, maybe your game is expecting these in controller 2.

I configured the controller 1 numbers for 0-9 to same numbers, and O for asterisk, and P for number/hash.

I configured the controller 2 numbers for 1-9 to "RTY-FGH-VBN", also J for asterisk, K for zero, and L for number/hash.

There is a brief chance that you keyboard generate other scancodes, so you can press F7 and then your key in order to see the code that you can add to coolcv_mapping.txt in your Documents folder.

Edited by nanochess
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nanochess said:

The keyboard numbers are configured by default for controller 1, maybe your game is expecting these in controller 2.

I configured the controller 1 numbers for 0-9 to same numbers, and O for asterisk, and P for number/hash.

I configured the controller 2 numbers for 1-9 to "RTY-FGH-VBN", also J for asterisk, K for zero, and L for number/hash.

There is a brief chance that you keyboard generate other scancodes, so you can press F7 and then your key in order to see the code that you can add to coolcv_mapping.txt in your Documents folder.

I'm still not sure what is going on with this. The number keys don't work by themselves for entering the code I want to input, but I have discovered if I hold down the space bar and then input the numbers they do work. I have not changed anything in the mapping file so this is just the way it is working for me.

2 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Where can the latest windows version be downloaded from please? Thank You for all the awesome work Nanochess.

Thanks! The latest Windows version is v0.6.9 and available in the first post.

36 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

I'm still not sure what is going on with this. The number keys don't work by themselves for entering the code I want to input, but I have discovered if I hold down the space bar and then input the numbers they do work. I have not changed anything in the mapping file so this is just the way it is working for me.

Maybe it is the way it accepts codes? I cannot be sure without reading the manual. Maybe you found a bug.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 12:44 PM, TPR said:

I don't understand your question. What exactly are you talking about? The CoolCV download? No. It's not a virus unless you consider playing a shitload of ColecoVision being disruptive to your productivity! ;)

Well the funny fact is that windows on my laptop threat is as a virus(even when trying to turn that virus scanner off,BUT what i do is that once windows 10 gives me such error massage then i will click “more information” then i click on ‘just install’ and now i can install coolcv emulator,

but i deal now with another problem,if i want to start a game it says “turn off game before inserting a cartride or a external module”, i put those dsk and ddp files into the rom folder on the main directory list from coolcv and also in the rom map from maxosx list,

so i wonder what am doing wrong or am i missing something,

i googled around everywhere with no help or clues.

thx alot.

22 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Well the funny fact is that windows on my laptop threat is as a virus(even when trying to turn that virus scanner off,BUT what i do is that once windows 10 gives me such error massage then i will click “more information” then i click on ‘just install’ and now i can install coolcv emulator,

but i deal now with another problem,if i want to start a game it says “turn off game before inserting a cartride or a external module”, i put those dsk and ddp files into the rom folder on the main directory list from coolcv and also in the rom map from maxosx list,

so i wonder what am doing wrong or am i missing something,

i googled around everywhere with no help or clues.

thx alot.

You didn't read the CoolCV manual.

In Windows there is a small folder-like icon in your bottom bar, just click it and I'll show your recent files. From there just Drag&Drop your ROM file onto the CoolCV icon or CoolCV window (press the mouse button over the ROM file name, keep it pressed and displace your mouse until reaching the CoolCV icon or window).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nanochess said:

You didn't read the CoolCV manual.

In Windows there is a small folder-like icon in your bottom bar, just click it and I'll show your recent files. From there just Drag&Drop your ROM file onto the CoolCV icon or CoolCV window (press the mouse button over the ROM file name, keep it pressed and displace your mouse until reaching the CoolCV icon or window).

Well i did clicked on coocv read  me but as far as i did read i only readed about what feature each new coolcv update does contain ,but no single word about how to set it up,i didn even readed anyghing about the keyboard control layout at wich buttons corresponds to,believe i googled all around on,i searched on youtube but no luck,so after that i decided to mash buttons and see wich buttons corresponds to,but hey i finally figured it on my own and now i do know to wich button each key corresponds too for instance 

space is start & jump etc,,

so now i finally could play and getting far into that game?

once again thanks for all the help?

E79EBC9C-183A-426B-8986-C220423A8A21.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:55 AM, johannesmutlu said:

This is a Microsoft Win10 safety feature. 

It has nothing to do with virus scanning. 

Don't blame the emulator. 

Blame Microsoft. 

3 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

This is a Microsoft Win10 safety feature. 

It has nothing to do with virus scanning. 

Don't blame the emulator. 

Blame Microsoft. 

But that’s what i do, i do blame microsoft to threat coolcv as a virus(eventrough it has nothing to do with a virus but only scans it,but still),not only that but microsoft also threats nested emulator as a virus,likely by clicking on the “more information” icon and then click on “just install” you can install those programs with no problems?

Edited by johannesmutlu

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 12:47 PM, Swami said:

Those adapters are damn expensive on eBay. $230. Is there a cheaper source for them?

I have the same adapter and I also can not get the roller controller or spinners to work.
Everything in the setting looks as if they are set to a joypad and the adapter uses the mouse input as the paddles.
both my switches are set to the coleco/autosense

and I can never tell if pressing fn f5 even works.  I know when I press fn f7 firefox opens up.
I have no software or settings I am aware of that this should happen.  I install the OS, Windows 11 in this case and all software.

Even when running CoolCV if I spin the spinners, use the roller controller or the driving controller the mouse moves.

So clearly the adapter is mapped to the mouse but there is a disconnect when it comes to CoolCV at least with my system.

Anyone have suggestions other than getting a mac

FOLLOWUP.......

Regardless of the instructions that came with the emulator FN anything does not work on my system.
I have to press shift with the function key and that is why nothing was working.

Edited by Captain Cozmos

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I just wanted to ask if it was ok to use the Libretro core in my handheld build for the Anbernic RG503 and other handheld devices. I assume yes because its provided freely to the public, but still best to ask first! Currently i've been using FBNeo for SGM titles, but its not the greatest at times. Thanks in advance! Also, my builds are free to all, there are no sales or any money changing hands. 

Also, if you are interested in testing/working on the hardware in question, I can ask Anbernic to provide you with a unit for testing/development purposes. 

Edited by Slaminger

2 hours ago, Slaminger said:

Hello, I just wanted to ask if it was ok to use the Libretro core in my handheld build for the Anbernic RG503 and other handheld devices. I assume yes because its provided freely to the public, but still best to ask first! Currently i've been using FBNeo for SGM titles, but its not the greatest at times. Thanks in advance! Also, my builds are free to all, there are no sales or any money changing hands. 

Also, if you are interested in testing/working on the hardware in question, I can ask Anbernic to provide you with a unit for testing/development purposes. 

@Slaminger, I would be interested in acquiring an Anbernic unit for testing/development purposes (unless that comment was directed specifically at @nanochess?). I am working on a build for handhelds and am currently putting together two different builds. One for the RetroFlag GPi v2 that works with the CM4 version of the RaspberryPi and another that is more computer/console-based (i.e. TRS-80, VIC20, C64, Coleco Adam, Atari 400/800, Atari ST, Amiga, Amstrad, MSX, etc.) on the RPi 400 in an effort to expose new generations (like my son) to those awesome platforms.

Edited by cdaters

On 6/15/2022 at 9:53 AM, Slaminger said:

No problem on using my libretro core for non-commercial use if it already works.

Currently I don't have enough time to work on another port.

• 5 months later...

I did not skim through any posts but I have come across an anomaly with CoolCV

I am trying out some animation routines for Dino Eggs and I can not find a bug yet the animation is sped up enormously when in NTSC mode.
I am using standard Coleco Timers created through the BIOS and NTSC byte (69)

I press F4, switched to Pal and it runs as it should.  Return to NTSC and it speeds out of control.
I tried this in ColEm, GearColeco, EmuTwo and MAME/MESS.  All of them worked as should.

Anyone have ideas?  Solutions?  Maybe an external BIOS if that is possible?

Edited by Captain Cozmos

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, Captain Cozmos said:

I did not skim through any posts but I have come across an anomaly with CoolCV

I am trying out some animation routines for Dino Eggs and I can not find a bug yet the animation is sped up enormously when in NTSC mode.
I am using standard Coleco Timers created through the BIOS and NTSC byte (69)

I press F4, switched to Pal and it runs as it should.  Return to NTSC and it speeds out of control.
I tried this in ColEm, GearColeco, EmuTwo and MAME/MESS.  All of them worked as should.

Anyone have ideas?  Solutions?  Maybe an external BIOS if that is possible?

Don't forget to clear the memory. CoolCV has a particular pattern for RAM initialization very similar to real hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nanochess said:

Don't forget to clear the memory. CoolCV has a particular pattern for RAM initialization very similar to real hardware.

Thank you for the response.
I will have to keep this in mind for future development but for the routine animation that I uploaded in my last Dino Eggs post I ended up tying it directly to the NMI through a hook which also keeps it from becoming corrupt.
This game is becoming so graphic and animation intensive that I already have some 20 animation tables ramming through the NMI every loop.
It's getting crazy and I have yet to use sound.  I hope I can pull this off.

• 2 months later...

Here is another tidbit about CoolCV.
Don't take it as negative criticism.  CoolCV is the first thing to use when I develop because it is fast, drag and drop, no hassle but...

I was using a custom VDP call to find an address for precise sprite to tile placement.
It is a routine that say if you are drawing and you want a dot in a specific place on the screen.  You call my routine then press a button, it will put whatever value at that spot in VRAM memory.  The routine works after I debugged it.

The problem is that it was working flawlessly using COOLCV with SetRead and OUT (DATA_PORT), A

Now if you read what I described of placing a value into VRAM it should have been "SetWRITE" and OUT (DATA_PORT), A

Needless to say, I program quickly using CoolCV and to test I use COLEM and MAME before testing on equipment.

It failed on all other emulators.
I was absolutely sure my code was sound and it only came to light when I asked a 3rd party to look at it because if I stare at code all day I am bound to miss something.
Anyway, after I changed that one Read to Write it works on all emulators and equipment.

The point is that CoolCV has it's quirks but I would not finalize any games or trust your work to it.

CoolCV is great for running your stuff quick and dirty but it is not complete for development of new software.  For that the next contender I suspect will be EmuTwo.

Just passing on observations from my experience.

CC

2 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

Here is another tidbit about CoolCV.
Don't take it as negative criticism.  CoolCV is the first thing to use when I develop because it is fast, drag and drop, no hassle but...

I like the sound of but :)

2 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

I was using a custom VDP call to find an address for precise sprite to tile placement.
It is a routine that say if you are drawing and you want a dot in a specific place on the screen.  You call my routine then press a button, it will put whatever value at that spot in VRAM memory.  The routine works after I debugged it.

The problem is that it was working flawlessly using COOLCV with SetRead and OUT (DATA_PORT), A

Now if you read what I described of placing a value into VRAM it should have been "SetWRITE" and OUT (DATA_PORT), A

Needless to say, I program quickly using CoolCV and to test I use COLEM and MAME before testing on equipment.

It failed on all other emulators.
I was absolutely sure my code was sound and it only came to light when I asked a 3rd party to look at it because if I stare at code all day I am bound to miss something.
Anyway, after I changed that one Read to Write it works on all emulators and equipment.

The point is that CoolCV has it's quirks but I would not finalize any games or trust your work to it.

CoolCV is great for running your stuff quick and dirty but it is not complete for development of new software.  For that the next contender I suspect will be EmuTwo.

Just passing on observations from my experience.

CC

You are so happy that you found an "error" that you don't even tested on real hardware.

The behavior of CoolCV is the same as the real hardware. When I developed the emulator I passed many months testing VDP cases on real hardware.

In fact a few minutes ago, I've made a test program for the case.

Then I brought out my Colecovision, my Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate SD Multi-Cart, and run the same program, and I've took a picture.

So if any other emulator fails this test then it is wrong. So far CoolCV has it correct, and I've also tried in BlueMSX (developed by my good friend Daniel Vik) and it also works correctly.

Internally, the SETRD address for VDP only triggers a bit that signals the VDP to start and buffer a VRAM read, so when the programmer reads the VRAM I/O port the byte is already available. Writing to VRAM before the read is ready just aborts the internal logic of the VDP to do the write.

You need more experience, my friend.

20230205_163321.jpg

write.asm write.rom

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nanochess said:

I like the sound of but :)

You are so happy that you found an "error" that you don't even tested on real hardware.

The behavior of CoolCV is the same as the real hardware. When I developed the emulator I passed many months testing VDP cases on real hardware.

In fact a few minutes ago, I've made a test program for the case.

Then I brought out my Colecovision, my Atarimax Colecovision Ultimate SD Multi-Cart, and run the same program, and I've took a picture.

So if any other emulator fails this test then it is wrong. So far CoolCV has it correct, and I've also tried in BlueMSX (developed by my good friend Daniel Vik) and it also works correctly.

Internally, the SETRD address for VDP only triggers a bit that signals the VDP to start and buffer a VRAM read, so when the programmer reads the VRAM I/O port the byte is already available. Writing to VRAM before the read is ready just aborts the internal logic of the VDP to do the write.

You need more experience, my friend.

20230205_163321.jpg

write.asm 2.72 kB · 0 downloads write.rom 8 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you, I did eventually test it on a real Adam and it failed.  After I made the change to SetWrite it worked.  Sorry you disagree.
I have found a lot of issues with CoolCV but it serves it's purposes.  No harm, no fowl and all I am telling is what I encountered.

What you do with that information.....

Anyway, great conversation...