IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

Is it just my ROM or does everyone else's Super Donkey Kong proto freeze after the first stage? It doesn't in other emulators, just CoolCV.

Same thing happens in my test. Even with my hack/update of the game. BUT! I've actually seen this happen on a real ColecoVision from time to time with this ROM. I've speculated that the code (a hack to begin with) is a little messy.

• Like 1

Thanks Oscar for this new emulator, I'm having a ball with it.

Is it just my ROM or does everyone else's Super Donkey Kong proto freeze after the first stage? It doesn't in other emulators, just CoolCV.

And...how do you start Opcode's Pac Man Collection? I can't figure out what key makes the "quarters" go in??

Confirmed mine crashes, too. Checked with Mugrat and it advances to level 2 just fine.

Already checking another reported game. Could someone send me this game via PM? Thanks!

CoolCV version 0.5.1 now available (check first post)

Controllers should feel smoother now. Solves a bug in VDP collision register (failed in Carnival) and also allows to run Super Donkey Kong prototype (1983) deactivating SGM support (it crashed because the game wrote to port 7FH) (now ZIP file includes all platforms)

Is anyone else experiencing joystick problems on the Windows version? Pressing left on my joystick (say on Montezuma's Revenge) makes my character go left and also up a ladder. Pressing right goes right and down. Pressing up or down seemingly has no effect.

Same thing on Miner 2049er.

Is anyone else experiencing joystick problems on the Windows version? Pressing left on my joystick (say on Montezuma's Revenge) makes my character go left and also up a ladder. Pressing right goes right and down. Pressing up or down seemingly has no effect.

Same thing on Miner 2049er.

I just tried Montezuma's Revenge with version 0.5.1 and I'm not having any problems with the controls. Are you using an analog joystick?

I'm using a USB joystick that is a SNES knockoff, same buttons, direction pad, etc.

I'll try deleting it and re-installing it. If that doesn't work, maybe it's just starting to go bad (what do you expect for $4.95). I have two other brand new ones of the same type, plus a couple of other different ones I can try.

I just tried Montezuma's Revenge with version 0.5.1 and I'm not having any problems with the controls. Are you using an analog joystick?

I have a feature request for future versions if possible...

Re-mappable keyboard buttons.

Mainly the fire buttons. When I play with the keyboard SPACE feels fine, but M is sometimes difficult for me since its directly above. But after many many hours now playing with the emulator, and loving it, this is probably the top thing that sticks out to me.

• Like 1

Nope, I just checked...all my joysticks are doing it. Any ideas what might be causing this? They work fine on other emulators with the same game.

I use a Logitech USB controller...but it does not work unless I use joy-to-key first, and then all aspects work just fine. Everything is nice and smooth.

Any my wish for CoolCV....being able to download it on the Wiibrew channel. :) Maybe, if your not busy....

Edited by Bartsfam

• 2 weeks later...

Retropie is a custom image of raspbian (the raspberry pi flavor of debian), so yes linux. It's really popular with the emulator crowd since it comes with about 20+ emulators and a front end based on emulation station. The one system it's missing that a lot of people want is colecovision. :)

I currently have a little box that does atari 2600, 5200, 7800, NES, SNES, DOOM I and II, Quake 3 and OpenArena. I *really* want coleco on this as well. :)

But yeah, it's ARM, not x86 so coolcv didn't run on the raspberry pi.

IntvDave on here has been compiling the source code for ADAMEm for his retropie and it works there. I have some updates on the emulator that allow the original controllers, along with the roller controller and super action controllers to work with the Intellivision Ultimate PC Interface inside the emulator. I've been stalled out getting a build together for this, but should have something shortly. It should be a fairly significant improvement over ADAMEm/SDL 1.81.

I've compiled a highly-experimental version of CoolCV v0.5.1 for Raspberry PI, it should work in Raspbian and you need libSDL2.

No build of libSDL2 is readily available, so you should compile it running the following (takes over an hour):

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo rpi-update
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libfreeimage-dev libopenal-dev libpango1.0-dev libsndfile-dev libudev-dev libasound2-dev libjpeg8-dev libtiff5-dev libwebp-dev automake
    cd ~
    wget https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
    tar zxvf SDL2-2.0.3.tar.gz
    cd SDL2-2.0.3 && mkdir build && cd build
    ../configure --disable-pulseaudio --disable-esd --disable-video-mir --disable-video-wayland --disable-video-x11 --disable-video-opengl --host=armv7l-raspberry-linux-gnueabihf
    make -j 4
    sudo make install

Also you should unzip the file in a "short" directory like the default /home/pi and run it from the Run option in main menu like this /home/pi/coolcv_pi /home/pi/quest.rom

Otherwise the terminal or any other window open "stops" the emulator for each key.

If possible you should overclock the PI to 800mhz for better experience, it works just fine in a big HDMI TV :grin:

Please don't ask me for support or enhancements on this one, I've to return the Raspberry PI very soon and it takes ages to compile each version of CoolCV.

BTW, I wanted to put this in first post, but time has passed and now I cannot edit it :)

coolcv_v0.5.1_raspberry.zip

Updated Mac version to v0.5.2, now it can record audio using Fn+F9, it saves files in your Music folder, if re-run it will reuse same file numbers, so copy files you like ;)

Also documented Fn+F8 for turbo load of disk/tape in ADAM mode.

Check first post.

• Like 4

Updated Mac to v0.5.3, now it can take screenshots with Fn+F10, it saves files in your Pictures folder. Now this feature and audio recording doesn't reuse file numbers ;) so you must clean your folders.

Also now you can drop ZIP files directly, the emulator will take the first BIN/ROM/COL file inside the ZIP to run it as the game ROM.

Check first post.

• Like 1

I think so. I'm planning a config file.

Sounds good! I was able to use the UPCI with a Colecovision FB controller and the knob and side buttons worked fine. As expected, the number keys didn't work. It would also be nice if the config file would allow you to remap the exit key - I'm thinking of an Ultimate Colecovision Flashback!

• Like 1

Sounds good! I was able to use the UPCI with a Colecovision FB controller and the knob and side buttons worked fine. As expected, the number keys didn't work. It would also be nice if the config file would allow you to remap the exit key - I'm thinking of an Ultimate Colecovision Flashback!

Why don't you send me a PM explaining me the mappings you used for the Intellivision emulator (I think it also uses SDL) and we can come up with something?