IGNORED

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

nanochess

This isn't a virus is it? I am just wondering because I am looking forward to playing an emulator like this!

I don't understand your question. What exactly are you talking about? The CoolCV download? No. It's not a virus unless you consider playing a shitload of ColecoVision being disruptive to your productivity! ;)

First and foremost, thank you so much for all the hard work on this emulator, I love it so far and looking forward to playing lot's of my favorite childhood games once I get everything working. Was hoping someone might have an idea why I'm running into some challenges trying to get a USB controller to work with CoolCV as part of a RetroPie installation. The hardware is a Raspberry Pi 3 and a Logitech F310 USB controller. I know I need to edit the coolcv_mapping.txt file as described in the RetroPie Wiki and I think I've get it set correctly, but what the codes I'm adding to the mapping file doesn't seem to be working in emulator. I pulled the SDL joystick codes using a Windows CoolCV install and one of the controllers and for reference, these are the codes I got for the controller (the section in the () is what coleco action I was hoping to map to the F310.)

A = JOY0_10 (Left Button)
B = JOY0_11 (Right Button)
X = JOY0_12 (Keypad 1)
Y = JOY0_13 (Keypad 2)
Dpad Up = JOY0_0 (Up)
Dpad Dn = JOY0_1 (Down)
Dpad Lt = JOY0_2 (Left)
Dpad Rt = JOY0_3 (Right)
Back = JOY0_5 (Pause)
Start = JOY0_4 (Exit)
Back + Start (Reset)
Lt Bump = JOY0_8 (Keypad 3)
Rt Bump = JOY0_9 (Keypad 4)

I've left most of the mapping file at the normal defaults and only tweaked the info for a few of the keys that I want so I can at least get a game running, play and exit the emulator from the controller. Here's my

current coolcv_mapping.txt file (I'm not including the whole file, just the key parts).

' CoolCV mappings for Colecovision controllers to keyboard and joystick
up_1 key1073741906 joy0_0
right_1 key1073741903 joy0_3
down_1 key1073741905 joy0_1
left_1 key1073741904 joy0_2
left_button_1 key32 joy0_10
right_button_1 key109 joy0_11
button3_1 key1073741939
button4_1 key1073741939
key1_1 key49 joy0_12
key2_1 key50 joy0_13
key3_1 key51
key4_1 key52
​...
key_exit key1073741939 joy0_4
key_pause key1073741884 joy0_5
key_reset key8 joy0_4 joy0_5

Right now I have the mapping file both in /home/pi/ and /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/coleco directories but none of the controls I've set are working. I can't get any keypad input (I can still start a game with a keyboard by pushing the related # key), the left analog stick does move the character Left/Right/Up/Down correctly (D-Pad doesn't do anything) and the only buttons on the controller that do anything are the X/Y which move the character Left and Right respectively.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I might be missing, it's gotta be something stupid...

I'm using the same controller and it works just fine with coolcv. I've attached my coolcv_mapping.txt file. See if that helps. I have it set so that the L shoulder button is keypad 1 and the R shoulder button is keypad 2. Exiting is from the Logitech button in the center of the controller (button 8, as retropie sees it). Feel free to change around what you need, but hopefully this will get you started.

If you're not sure how the buttons on your F-310 are actually seen by retropie, run: jstest /dev/input/js0 That will show you how your buttons are numbered. I've attached a pdf file that shows how mine are seen by the pi.

coolcv_mapping.txt

F310 buttons.pdf

Edited by paulace50
  • Like 1

Ok,

Let me jump on this band wagon!

​I just started playing with this emulator on a Pi3... It's AWESOME!

I'm a complete NOOB with pi, but I installed Retropie, and then added coolcv from the

addons listing and BOOM it was working! This thing is the best thing since sliced bread.

The pi is small, portable, and just plain awesome to have all your favorite games in one place.

As it's been brought up here a few times, I too am struggling with key mapping on the pi.

This has been the most difficult part of the whole install.

​The keyboard works just fine.

I'm trying to set up, a USB controller and NES 8bitdo.

In emulation station it refers to some controls as (axis 1-) etc, rather than a joy0_0 button

I'm not sure how to re-map this. I too use NES, SNES etc and like the sel/start to exit.

I haven't found a way to map 2 buttons together to exit. However I'm sure I'll get this dialed in time.

Thanks Nanochess your the MAN! Keep up the awesome work.

• Like 1

I'm using the same controller and it works just fine with coolcv. I've attached my coolcv_mapping.txt file. See if that helps. I have it set so that the L shoulder button is keypad 1 and the R shoulder button is keypad 2. Exiting is from the Logitech button in the center of the controller (button 8, as retropie sees it). Feel free to change around what you need, but hopefully this will get you started.

If you're not sure how the buttons on your F-310 are actually seen by retropie, run: jstest /dev/input/js0 That will show you how your buttons are numbered. I've attached a pdf file that shows how mine are seen by the pi.

Paulace, you are a life saver. That worked perfectly on my setup with just a few minor tweaks. Thanks a ton!

Paulace, you are a life saver. That worked perfectly on my setup with just a few minor tweaks. Thanks a ton!

Glad I could help, Meatball - I've been helped alot by others in here...trying to pay it back. Coolcv is a great emulator! And I really like the Logitech controllers for playing these games on the pi. I'm more of an Intellivision guy, so I use those controllers for the intv, but for everything else, these Logitech controllers are great. I've switched over to the F710's - the wireless version of the F310 - and they work great too. Same keymapping as the F310's so I don't have to change anything - and no wires!

And cdn2a - welcome to the club! Configuring the controllers is usually the hardest part - just be patient. I haven't figured out how to map a two-button exit from coolcv either...unless I use an Intellivision flashback controller. There's a hackfile and software for that controller that ouputs a button "5" (normally an unused button) when "6"+"Enter" are pressed together, so you just tell coolcv that exit is button "5"...and then it exits the emu when you press "6" and "Enter". I'd imagine those Colecovision flashback controllers could do the same thing if you had a couple of those. Ask nanochess about a 2-button exit. He knows a thing or two about this emulator.

Edited by paulace50

I do not have a PI 1 to test the emulators on but the two emulators that may play Coleco games well on the PI 1 would be AdamEM (tested) and AdvMess (not tested). I have hacked both of these emulators. AdamEM, which is great for Adam emulation, now supports all the keyboard keys and the programmer of the emulator has been working on updating it. AdvMess has been updated so that the controllers work well but does not support Adam emulation well.

CoolCV is the best supported Coleco/Adam emulator out there for the PI. Nanochess expanded the original controller mappings to support mapping of the Adam keys and continues enhancing game support. It also supports the Ultimate Interface spinner for the rollerball, driving wheel, and super action controller.

After getting the keyboard interface created, I have come to learn that there is very little interest in Adam emulation. I hope nanochess continues to support the Adam because I love it. If anyone is on a PI 1 and want Adam support, AdamEM is the way to go. I am more than happy to help you get it running. Maybe you might even be interested in an Adam keyboard interface :)

Hi there IntvDave,

As you know I use AdamEm to play my favorite Colecovision games because CoolCV does not run on the Pi 1. Dunno why AdvMess wasn't an option for me on the Pi 1. Does one still need to compile it from source?

Anyway, IntvDave: if there's a new version of AdamEm can I get it from you again? Thank you very much for updating AdamEm for us Pi 1 owners and other interested people. :)

Best regards,

Michel

Hi there IntvDave,

As you know I use AdamEm to play my favorite Colecovision games because CoolCV does not run on the Pi 1. Dunno why AdvMess wasn't an option for me on the Pi 1. Does one still need to compile it from source?

Anyway, IntvDave: if there's a new version of AdamEm can I get it from you again? Thank you very much for updating AdamEm for us Pi 1 owners and other interested people. :)

Best regards,

Michel

I have a RetroPie package that you can download from my webiste.

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

The package has the AdamEM emulator under the folder structure of:

\opt\retropie\emulators\colecovision

The package is for Retropie 3.2 which I have used under 3.8. I may have some free time in the next week and may create a RetroPie package for 4.1. I am going to guess that AdamEM in the package will work fine in RetroPie 4.1. If not, I will hopefully get ti working once I upgrade my RetroPie.

• Like 3

I have a RetroPie package that you can download from my webiste.

http://www.intellivision.us/raspberry/raspberry.php

The package has the AdamEM emulator under the folder structure of:

\opt\retropie\emulators\colecovision

The package is for Retropie 3.2 which I have used under 3.8. I may have some free time in the next week and may create a RetroPie package for 4.1. I am going to guess that AdamEM in the package will work fine in RetroPie 4.1. If not, I will hopefully get ti working once I upgrade my RetroPie.

Thanks for the link to that site man! I take it that the executable for AdamEm has not changed since October 2016?

Still trying to get the dpad to work with my Wii U pro controller which works great with all other emulators.

I ran jstest and confirmed the button numbers for up, down, left and right. I then edited the coolcv_mapping.txt file with these values:

' CoolCV mappings for Colecovision controllers to keyboard and joystick
up_1 joy0_13
right_1 joy0_16
down_1 joy0_14
left_1 joy0_15
... (the rest of the file did not change)
The dpad does not work at all... Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All!

I just installed CoolCV on my RaspPi3. Everything worked well for a day or so. I am running my roms from a usb stick and Retropie from a micro SD card.

After a day or so CoolCV starts running slower and the sound is crackled. I tried wiping out the card and reinstalled. It did the exact same thing. Works well for a day and then gets slow and sound is crackled.

All other emulators work well.

Any ideas?

Hi all!

First of all sorry 4 my bad english! ;-)

I'v installed this awesome emulator on Retropie (pi3) and it work very well! It's amazing!

BUT.... i experience some problem with my pad's and joystick.

All the BUTTON are working ok editing the config files "coolcv_mapping.txt" on /hom/pi

but... unfortunatly my axis of joystick and of 360xbox pad.... don't work at all

i'v tried with jstest to see how to call on coolcv_mapping.txt my axes but they are identified with "5" and "4" Axes...

(SEE PICTURE FOR REFERENCE)

so... is there any text input form to put on coolcv_mapping.txt afther the code of key?

i mean some like....

up_1 key1073741906 joy0_axis4 or joy0_hat or ...what else?

Actually i can play with keyboard but... i will love the experience with arcade stick!

tkns for all !

Hi all!

First of all sorry 4 my bad english! ;-)

I'v installed this awesome emulator on Retropie (pi3) and it work very well! It's amazing!

BUT.... i experience some problem with my pad's and joystick.

All the BUTTON are working ok editing the config files "coolcv_mapping.txt" on /hom/pi

but... unfortunatly my axis of joystick and of 360xbox pad.... don't work at all

i'v tried with jstest to see how to call on coolcv_mapping.txt my axes but they are identified with "5" and "4" Axes...

(SEE PICTURE FOR REFERENCE)

so... is there any text input form to put on coolcv_mapping.txt afther the code of key?

i mean some like....

up_1 key1073741906 joy0_axis4 or joy0_hat or ...what else?

Actually i can play with keyboard but... i will love the experience with arcade stick!

tkns for all !

post-50868-0-54668300-1485617587_thumb.jpg

Just popping in to drop some respect and maybe help some CoolCV-via-RetroPie newbies like myself.

First, hats off to Nanochess for creating CoolCV and releasing it into the wild, and thanks for helping me get past my setup issues!

Also, thanks to the posters on this thread, I read all 16 pages worth, and it got me past all my remaining questions and issues, especially groovy978, mckafka99 and intvdave.

Special thanks to paulace50 for requesting the 2-keypress mapping feature, allowing CoolCV to conform to the RetroPie 2-finger saute (Select+Start to exit any emulator).

Lastly, if I am not stepping on any toes, I'd like to distill some of the the key points that I gleaned from this thread into a step-by-step how-to, specifically geared toward current RetroPie owners, who have already installed and updated CoolCV through the RetroPie Setup GUI, but who found, like I did, that you cannot (as of this writing) obtain the VERY LATEST version of the emulator through the automated method. So if you want to manually install the very latest version of CoolCV, which allows for the aforementioned 2-finger salute, this is for you.

Note 1, these instructions are very Windows-centric, I have no idea how well they translate to Mac.

Note 2, you will be executing commands manually from the command line on your Pi. if this frightens you in the least bit, stop right here and consider sticking to the CoolCV that you already have working...

Note 3, If Linux frightens you but you're going to proceed anyway, I suggest making a backup of your SD card just in case you screw something up.

1) Obtain "coolcv_v0.6.4_all.zip" (or newer) from Nanochess's original post in this thread.

2) Unzip that file to a temp folder, read the included readme (coolcv.txt), and consider throwing a few bucks Nano's way via PayPal, see the bottom of the readme for details.

Pro Tip: If you're a Windows user like me, the text in coolcv.txt will look jumbled in Notepad. Obtain a copy of Notepad++ (it's free). It's also great for editing xml files - very useful for a Pi user.

3) From your temp folder where you unzipped the files, copy the "coolcv_pi" binary and drop it onto your Pi...

Complete Noob Tip: This is how I do it, because I'm still a Raspberry Pi noob. There are surely better ways.

3a) Get your PC and Pi both running, get both connected to the internet on the same network. On the Pi, if you boot directly into EmulationStation (or AttractMode or whatever), you must exit to the command line. (For EmulationStation, simply hit F4. Not sure about AttractMode or MotionBlue, I haven't messed with them yet.)

3b) On the PC, open two Windows Explorer windows. First one, navigate to your temp folder. Second one, at the top, type in \\RETROPIE and hit enter. That should connect you to your Pi from your PC. This is called the "Samba Shares" method, and the instructions for PC and Mac can both be found here: https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms

3c) On the Retropie Windows Explorer window, navigate to the "splashscreens" folder. Why? Because it's a safe place to drop things without risking overwriting anything important.

3d) On the temp folder Windows Explorer window, Copy the "coolcv_pi" binary. On the Retropie Explorer window, paste that file into the splashscreens folder.

4) Switch over to your Raspberry Pi, which should already be running and should be on the Linux command line. Execute the following commands.

cd /home/pi/RetroPie/splashscreens (this is where you dropped the updated version of the coolcv_pi binary)

chmod 777 coolcv_pi (change permissions, make it executable)

sudo chown root coolcv_pi (owner needs to be set to root)

sudo chown :root coolcv_pi (group needs to be set to root)

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv (I don't know why my coolcv folder has a folder called coolcv... you might not have that second coolcv folder)

sudo mv coolcv_pi coolcv_pi_orig (Make a backup copy of the original coolcv_pi binary, called coolcv_pi_orig, so you can revert back to it if needed)

sudo mv /home/pi/RetroPie/splashscreens/coolcv_pi . (Move the updated coolcv_pi binary from your splashscreens folder to your coolcv folder)

5) Validate. Run this command from the current folder (your coolcv folder): ls -ltr

If all went well, your listing should look SOMETHING like this:

total 708

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 352054 Aug 23 2015 coolcv_pi_orig

-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 358692 Aug 23 2015 coolcv_pi

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11971 Nov 27 2015 coolcv.txt

Don't concern yourself with matching the dates or the byte counts, concern yourself only with the filenames, the permissions, and the owner and group of the files.

If your filenames, permissions, and owner and group look right, you have successfully replaced the old coolcv_pi binary with the updated one.

At this point, you have not yet altered your CoolCV controller mapping to use the two-finger salute, but before doing that, you should test to see that Coleco still works within EmulationStation.

Run the command "sudo reboot", navigate to ColecoVision, and launch a game which you know worked previously.

If the game does not run, you get an error, or you get a blank screen, exit to the command line, cd /opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv, mv coolcv_pi coolcv_pi_new, mv coolcv_pi_orig coolcv_pi. You're back to normal.

If the game DOES run, now you're ready to edit your CoolCV mapping.

exit to the command line.

cd /opt/retropie/configs/coleco

sudo nano coolcv_mapping.txt

...you're now in the nano text editor. use the arrow keys to navigate down and find the mapping for "key_exit".

It probably looks something like this:

key_exit key1073741939

change it to something like this:

key_exit key1073741939 joy0_4 joy0_5

...at least, that's what Select and Start are mapped to on my SNES controller, joy0_4 and joy0_5. You will have to figure out what your correct button mappings are for your controller.

press ctrl-x to Exit, enter Y to save, and hit enter to complete the save.

Run the command "sudo reboot", navigate to ColecoVision, and launch a game which you know worked previously.

Press Select and Start to exit the game.

If it didn't work, exit the old way, get back to the command line, and do the following to determine your controller's button mappings:

cd /dev/input

jstest js0

...you're now in testing mode. press each button and d-pad direction on your controller, one at a time. It will show you, in real-time, which button or axis you are pressing. Write them all down.

ctrl-c to exit out of the test.

apply your newfound controller mapping knowledge to your coolcv_mapping file as shown above, and set your key bindings however you want.

By no means did I intend on writing anywhere near that much in this post. But I hope it helps someone.

Please feel free to edit and improve.

Thanks,

-Dave

• Like 3

Wow... it's going more strange every day! ;-)

Ive updated the cool_cv with the latests... 0.6.4

then test the game and now if i press CTLR+F7 i can see the message "cheching codes"

BUT....

The emu NOT scan ANY of the axes of my controller. I'v tried with xbox360pad, and also with qamba arcade and... nothing.

scan ONLY button and keys of keyboard!

PLUS: I can play with ALCAZAR on my xbox 360 pad with analog control and it works.

BUT other game i can't play at all... exept for the keyboard... Montezuma, antartic etc non axix workong!

I'm goin mad! ;-)))))

Edited by theborga

Wow... it's going more strange every day! ;-)

Ive updated the cool_cv with the latests... 0.6.4

then test the game and now if i press CTLR+F7 i can see the message "cheching codes"

BUT....

The emu NOT scan ANY of the axes of my controller. I'v tried with xbox360pad, and also with qamba arcade and... nothing.

scan ONLY button and keys of keyboard!

PLUS: I can play with ALCAZAR on my xbox 360 pad with analog control and it works.

BUT other game i can't play at all... exept for the keyboard... Montezuma, antartic etc non axix workong!

I'm goin mad! ;-)))))

maybe some ray of light...!

The issue is about my 1st joystick. I'ts a quamba arcade that for some reason is not working (only the stick... the button works flawless) on some emulators like this one (and mame)

so i'm able to play as a player 2 with my xbox360 pad and also by player one on alcazar... but only because for some reason on this game player1and player2 controls are the same.

So for me the question now is:

is there any method to say coolcv to use joystick 2 for player one?

i mean to bypass the joystick 1? Ok, i can remove the quamba and start coolcv with only xbox 360 pad connected but it's boring!

tnks!

is there any method to say coolcv to use joystick 2 for player one?

i mean to bypass the joystick 1? Ok, i can remove the quamba and start coolcv with only xbox 360 pad connected but it's boring!

@theborga, I think this is your key...

cd /dev/input

jstest js0

...you're now in testing mode. press each button and d-pad direction on your controller, one at a time. It will show you, in real-time, which button or axis you are pressing. Write them all down.

apply your newfound controller mapping knowledge to your coolcv_mapping file as shown above, and set your key bindings however you want.

. . .

...but instead of testing "js0", in your case you probably want to test "js1" for your second joystick.

To be sure, you can list all your connected input devices by going to: cd /dev/input , and running: ls -lah

It will probably show that you have one "js0" joystick and one "js1" joystick connected. If so, run: jstest js1 , and figure out your keybindings for that second joystick.

Then edit coolcv_mapping.txt and map the controls to your js1 joystick.

Hope that works for you.

-Dave

@theborga, I think this is your key...

cd /dev/input

jstest js0

. . .

...but instead of testing "js0", in your case you probably want to test "js1" for your second joystick.

To be sure, you can list all your connected input devices by going to: cd /dev/input , and running: ls -lah

It will probably show that you have one "js0" joystick and one "js1" joystick connected. If so, run: jstest js1 , and figure out your keybindings for that second joystick.

Then edit coolcv_mapping.txt and map the controls to your js1 joystick.

Hope that works for you.

-Dave

first thk for supporting me ;-)

Unfortunalty the procedure above works ONLY for button... but for the axis nope

So If i plug the Qamba stick on js0 and put xbox360 on js1 , and then test for button, I can only apply BUTTON to the coolcv file.

apparently the only solution is phisically detach the qamba, then magically everithing works... and i'm able to play with 360 pad..with axes and button working.

if i plug the qamba no way: coolcv detect qamba as js0 and 360 as player2 so i can't play! 8(

hope my explanation is clear! ;-)

Hi All!

I just installed CoolCV on my RaspPi3. Everything worked well for a day or so. I am running my roms from a usb stick and Retropie from a micro SD card.

After a day or so CoolCV starts running slower and the sound is crackled. I tried wiping out the card and reinstalled. It did the exact same thing. Works well for a day and then gets slow and sound is crackled.

All other emulators work well.

Any ideas?

Hi All.

This issue has also been reported at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/7741/colecovision-sound-stutters

I have done a fresh install of Retropie and installed the latest version of CoolCV manually. The sound stutters and the video slows down only after I update the setup script to the latest version. If I leave it at 4.1 then everything works fine. Even using USB mount.

Seems like a change made after 4.1.

Edited by svc123

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to configure my USB joystick to work with CoolCV, but am not having much luck with the directional pad.

These are CoolCV's default settings:

up_1 key1073741906
right_1 key1073741903
down_1 key1073741905
left_1 key1073741904

When I do F7 so I can see the codes for my joystick I get this:

up - Axis4 Key-32768

right - Axis3 Key32767

down - Axis4 Key32767

left - Axis3 Key-32768

Not sure how to plug those in.

Oddly enough, I have left and right movement on my joystick with the default settings, but not up and down.