Jump to content
nanochess

CoolCV emulator for Mac OS X, Linux, Windows and Raspberry

Recommended Posts

I have no clue what I am doing wrong because I, in 100% all honesty, have remapped the keys and they don't stick.

 

As an example, I remapped the backspace key to the ADAM keyboard backspace and all it will do is reset the emulator.

And trust me when I say, not blowing smoke, I love this emulator and it's simplicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, trying a new approach.
change the reset key to a different value.
It may be that I am trying to map what is already defined and when I look through the entire list in the coolcv map IS defined as reset 08 and backspace 08 by default but reset comes first so ???

Edited by Mike Harris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, J.R. Voigtschild said:

OK so i got the CoolCV downloaded. I am trying to put it on my Rasberry PI 3 B+. where in the world do i put the files, and what files go where. I am so lost on this one :P

 

Hi, there is a section in the manual (coolcv.txt) that explains what to do with Raspberry, it depends on your operating system. (easier with Retropie, harder with Raspbian)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great stuff! Working great on my windows machine :)

 

Is there an android version?

(or maybe it's coming)

Would be great to run it on my android shield pro!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 7:51 PM, nanochess said:

 

Hi, there is a section in the manual (coolcv.txt) that explains what to do with Raspberry, it depends on your operating system. (easier with Retropie, harder with Raspbian)

For whatever reason, CoolCv does not create a mapping file coolcv_mapping.txt when I first use CoolCV. Is there a mapping text file for PC I can copy or download for my ColecoVision controller so I am not muddling around from scratch? Also do you just put it in the same folder space as coolcv.exe? Surprising that all I can find is about people using it in retropie.

 

Edit: gahhh, never mind! I just read a post that said it goes to mydocuments and found it there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi nanochess, I'm not sure if you've been following the CollectorVision Club 2020 thread, but as part of the club the ROM file for "The CAT Scheduled Oil Sampling Game" was provided.  I've been doing some testing of the ROM and found a really bizarre issue with CV software emulators and this game.  Basically, the game does not work in any ColecoVision emulator that I've tried.  I've tried CoolCV (v6.6), ColEm and blueMSX and H.E.R.O. also found that vdmgr64 behaves the same.  When the game starts press any keypad key to get to the game menu and then press * to start a game.  All of that works fine, but when the game screen with the CAT starts it seems to just freeze with white noise.  No joystick or keypad entries do anything.

 

The main reason I'm posting this here is that Swami discovered that CAT works in CoolCV v6.2 to v6.5 but NOT in v6.6.  So, could you shed any light on what the issue may be?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think only changed the pattern of memory initialization, and the small ROM aren't repeated to fill 32K.

 

But I'll give a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, nanochess said:

I think only changed the pattern of memory initialization, and the small ROM aren't repeated to fill 32K.

 

But I'll give a look.

alekmaul has identified the problem as being down to the way memory is initialised:

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oscar, is there currently shader support (or any other configurable video/sound options) for coolcv on pi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SJD69 said:

Oscar, is there currently shader support (or any other configurable video/sound options) for coolcv on pi?

Sorry, there are none of these options currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all,

 

Trying to get CoolCV running on a RetrOrange PI setup.  I copied the coolcv_pi executable into place, but when I run it from the command line I get this error:

 

/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv_pi: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

 

I've installed what I thought was the correct version of this file in /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, and even in the same directory as coolcv itself, but it still complains about this lib being missing.  Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, nanochess said:

Sorry, there are none of these options currently.

Any plans to allow specifying the path to the config file on the command line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 7:11 PM, SJD69 said:

Any plans to support pi shaders?

 

As I'm doing a multiplatform release, I find hard to do specific platform optimization.

 

23 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

Hey all,

 

Trying to get CoolCV running on a RetrOrange PI setup.  I copied the coolcv_pi executable into place, but when I run it from the command line I get this error:

 

/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv_pi: error while loading shared libraries: libbcm_host.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

 

I've installed what I thought was the correct version of this file in /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, and even in the same directory as coolcv itself, but it still complains about this lib being missing.  Any suggestions?

 

No idea. Never tested with that distribution.

 

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Any plans to allow specifying the path to the config file on the command line?

 

Maybe later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is for nanochess, any chance of this happening? This is from the retropie forum for the newly released beta for the RPI4.

 

 

 

I've got jzintv running on the Pi4 - it will probably be added to the development branch soon(ish).
For coolcv, it's a different story, since it's not an open source emulator and the binary distributed is using the (legacy) Broadcom GL libraries. Porting it to the new Mesa GL driver might need some changes to the emulator, which only its author can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TwiliteZoner said:

This is from the retropie forum for the newly released beta for the RPI4.

Not for RetroPie, but for Pi...

 

FWIW, not out yet, but we do have Coleco support in early stages in Project Argon, and have it working on RPI3+ and RPI4. We will post here (and on our social media) when we are ready for an open beta later this year. Some behind the scenes pics here...

 

https://www.instagram.com/markspaceinc/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone gotten this to work on Raspberry Pi with an Xbox controller? Just looking for a ready made coolcv_mapping.txt file but I can't find one uploaded anywhere. Are there instructions anywhere on how to edit this file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Has anyone gotten this to work on Raspberry Pi with an Xbox controller? Just looking for a ready made coolcv_mapping.txt file but I can't find one uploaded anywhere. Are there instructions anywhere on how to edit this file?

Never mind. Found it after a lot of digging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At last found time to update CoolCV to version 0.6.7, few changes but useful. Distro in first post. Pi cannot be updated this time because I cannot locate my Pi!!! ;)

 

Now support for random number generation on games like Word Feud (using RAND_GEN from Coleco BIOS).

Paused windows doesn't show trash if minimized/maximized or something passes over.

Pause shows a message.

Added Mecha-9 to the game collection included.

Edit: Now including libsdl in the Mac OS X application bundle, so you don't have to install it.

Edited by nanochess
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, nanochess said:

At last found time to update CoolCV to version 0.6.7, few changes but useful.

Great! Thanks!

 

The issue still remains with the bundled SDL framework (see posts #338 - #340 in this thread) not loading in macOS (for me, macOS 10.14.6), so users on that platform still have to install the framework independently to use CoolCV.

 

Looks like the version string in Info.plist also needs to be bumped to 0.6.7, unless it's 0.6.6 in the "almost all" zip archive for macOS?

 

Crashlog attached.

crash.txt

Edited by mumbai
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mumbai said:

Great! Thanks!

 

The issue still remains with the bundled SDL framework (see posts #338 - #340 in this thread) not loading in macOS (for me, macOS 10.14.6), so users on that platform still have to install the framework independently to use CoolCV.

 

Looks like the version string in Info.plist also needs to be bumped to 0.6.7, unless it's 0.6.6 in the "almost all" zip archive for macOS?

 

Crashlog attached.

crash.txt 1.45 kB · 0 downloads

Wow! Thanks for re-finding it! Forgot completely about it.

 

Now apparently got right the libsdl embedding. Also bumped version to v0.6.7.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, nanochess said:

Wow! Thanks for re-finding it! Forgot completely about it. Now apparently got right the libsdl embedding. Also bumped version to v0.6.7.

Thank you again. The updated .app works now as intended.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...