IGNORED

Beyond Parsec Cartridge

TI-GAMER

I have seen them go for $50 to $100.

I know we ask a lot about pricing of Cartridges and it is really what someone is willing to pay for them but I just wanted to get a rough idea on what the majority thinks the value of a Working Beyond Parsec Cartridge would be these days.

Thanks

I have seen them go for $50 to $100 in the last couple of years when they surface. I myself was lucky enough to get one in a lot of an estate sale with a new Triton Super Extended Basic, MunchMan II and Beyond Parsec all with manuals for $50. But my case was not normal.

Are you trying to sell one or buy one ?

I would put the value of any of the DBT game cartridges in the $15 to $50 range. Most of them would fall into the $15 to $20 range though--and the rarer ones (and oddly enough, Beyond Parsec is one of those, probably due to tepid reviews back in the day) would be in the $20 to $40 range, $50 if you really want it.

Beyond Parsec is a cartridge only for collectors, I played "Beyond Parsec" no more than 10 minutes, I couldn't more. I think that it is not a good game: poor gameplay and graphics, especially for a game created in 1988.

It may have been intended for release by TI back in 1983.

bparsec1.jpgbparsec2.jpg

With Parsec's popularity, I felt a 2-player version would be a sure hit. I created a storyboard concept and began coding the software as a submission to TI. The concept was two ships in a moveable asteroid field. The asteroids would move if they were fired upon, so they could be used as both an offensive and defensive weapon. I used the sound effects created for Parsec and submitted it to TI. They loved it and accepted it as a Class A submission. But TI announced they were killing the home computer. They released the software back to me with the condition that I did not use the Parsec name. So, I renamed the game "Beyond Space."

ref.:

http://xona.com/ti994a/parsec.html

http://www.99er.net/jphillips.html

It may have been intended for release by TI back in 1983.

I know the story of this game.

Even for 1983, it was not a good game. John Phillips made better programs for the TI-99. "Beyond Parsec"/ "Beyond Space" looks like many other games that could be found for free in computer magazines as listings printed, written in TI Extended Basic whereas it is in assembly So, release it stil in 1988 had no real interest. I rembember that the game was also released by Exceltec/Sunware Ltd. in 1984.

I think that If the game has been well welcomed at TI, this is because 1983 was a dark year for the commercial teams and they tried all possibilities to boost sales and increase margins.

Edited by fabrice montupet

I just picked up a working Beyond Parsec Cart and Manual for $40. I have been wheeling and dealing with this guy for 2 weeks. He originally wanted over $100 and I wasnt willing to go that high. I thought I had an agreement around $50 but he never got back with me. I guess he was trying to sell it for more and no one purchased it. I offered him $40 today and he accepted.

"Patience is a Virtue"

Edited by TI-GAMER
  • Like 1

It looks like a Generic Label that I have seen quite often on these cartridges. To me it looks like something that someone cut and glued on LOL but I have seen the same label many other times. Are there other variants of these labels?

post-41001-0-59348400-1438379752_thumb.jpg

Edited by TI-GAMER

I have several cartridge from DataBiotics and all that ones has different labels... some one have like your is (on the TOP) and some other like in the picture, some other again have the standard long label on the side (like is in the second picture of the post 10th) ... about that i know that all are original. but i do not know whe he used so different labels.

There is no real listing of how many of the DBT cartridges were ever made. If I extrapolate the numbers based on the best sellers from Asgard (where I do have some numbers, based on my discussions with Chris), a good seller might have hit 500 copies over time--possibly as high as 1,000 considering the length of time they were available. The not so good sellers were probably in the range of 100 or so cartridges (possibly much lower), again, mostly because they were available for long periods of time.

• Like 1

Really, that low? That would imply that they sold, total for all carts, just a few thousand units over several years. Not much of a business. After spending much time with the 2048K Games I cart, Ksarul, I can say the Databiotics people were fine programmers compared to, say, Funware, so I'm surprised they didn't sell better.

The best sellers from Asgard fell in the 300-500 copy range, and were comparable titles to the best of the ones sold by DBT. DBT sold 32 game cartridges (I count variants where they renamed the cartridge as separate issues--i.e. Spot Shot became Dragonflyer). Very few of these were low sellers, so there would be between 15 and 20 thousand of their game cartridges out there (possibly more, but this is a ballpark figure).

DBT also sold 18 different utility cartridges(again, I count variants where they renamed the cartridge as separate issues--i.e. Console Calc became TI Planner). Many of these were only available for short periods of time (like this series: Miniwriter II, then Miniwriter III, Wordwriter, Wordwriter Xtra, and finally, Beyond Wordwriter). I'd put most of them in the good seller range though, based on how often I see them show up on eBay. Again, that gives 5 to 10 thousand cartridges, so we have totals in the 20 to 40 thousand range when adding everything together. That's a lot of software.

I once read that Atari only released about 160 thousand of the Atarisoft cartridges (which works out to 10 to 15 thousand of each title, and these are one of the more common third-party release sets). Another source put the total closer to 300 thousand, but that is still in the range of 20 to 30 thousand of each title--and when one looks at the auction history for DBT versus Atarisoft, you'll usually see one DBT cartridge for every ten or so Atarisoft cartridges, so the guess here is probably pretty close to the reality.

• Like 1

It looks like a Generic Label that I have seen quite often on these cartridges. To me it looks like something that someone cut and glued on LOL but I have seen the same label many other times. Are there other variants of these labels?

My cartridge has the exact same label.