IGNORED

Mario Kart Double Dash

SS

So, what are your thoughts on Double Dash? I have been playing a hell of a lot of Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 8 this week so I started thinking that I never did get around to ever beating Double Dash all the way through. In fact, aside from the two that I am currently working my way through, Double Dash is the ONLY Mario Kart that I've never beaten front to back. So I fired up the old GameCube to give it another spin. Nope, still don't like it. Although I'm not 100% sure why. I like the GCN controller and Double Dash certainly looks nice. It just somehow plays differently than the other games in the series. I cannot drift nearly as effectly in DD as in the other MK games. Also, I think that perhaps the "rubber band effect" is a lot more subtle in DD than it is in the other games. This might not be such a big deal is the special objects weren't as devastating on your race or as plentifully placed around the tracks, but they are. All in all, I find myself way more frustrated with Double Dash than amused by it.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

I appreciate that they tried something different with the game, and it looks as good or better than the Wii release that came out several years later. On the other hand, the tag team play mechanics are a little hard to wrap your head around after years of solo karting. I dunno... I like it better than Mario Kart 7 at least.

I've played every one, except for Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8, and honestly, Double Dash is my favorite for these reasons.

1. Being able to carry two weapons at once.
2. Each character (or matching characters) having a special weapon is unique and cool. (Chomps-Chomps are great!)
3. Being able to share a kart with a friend - makes it easier for a non-gamer to join in on the fun

4. Baby Park + 3 of your friends (or more with a lan adaptor) = awesomeness (especially when people get giant bowser shells and those things go rolling back and forth across the map) :P

Edited by Ska_music_fan83
  • Like 1

Battles in Double Dash were awesome! My friend and I played so much bomb blast back in the day. The pipe plaza was awesome...

The Race AI is just too brutal and unfair though. If you get a heavy cart, acceleration is so abysmal that you take one item hit and wind up back of the race. If you get a light cart, you literally get knocked off the track by everybody. You would think medium carts would be good, but they are just mediocre. Only the Bullet and the parade cart give you real performance advantage over the others, and I had to use an action replay to unlock them because the requirements to unlock in the game were insane. Also if you do the all cup tour, expect the same team to get 1st place every race that you don't. I did the all cup tour with Diddy and Bowser Jr and lost first place to the koopas by one point. Last track: stupid Rainbow Road, first lap, I was in first and laid a giant banana special on an impossibly narrow banked curve with the intention it would leave carnage in it's wake. There were seven carts and it would have been impossible not to hit them. I come back on the second lap and it's still there, untouched. I hit the brake and still slam into it, wiping out. The banana explodes leaving three bananas in it's wake. Somehow I manage to maintain the lead, or so I thought. I drifted every turn and by the third lap, the three bananas, still undisturbed by the other seven racers. Impossible to go around, I did a power slide into one of them, and spin out. The steep banked road surface ensures that I slide into the lower banana, and I wipe out again, this time sliding off the track. The koopas burn by as Likatu puts me back on the track. I battle back up to second place but ultimately lost the all cup tour to the Koopa Bros by one point. I threw my controller in anger. :mad: AI cheats. They'll never hit your items if not in the vicinity of your radar...

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

IMO, this is the best Mario kart game after Mario Kart 8. Yes I said it, Mario kart 8 is better than Mario kart 64 and the SNES one. Quit letting nostalgia confuse you and see the truth. Anyway I never understood why people complained about the tag team in Mario Kart Double Dash. It's not like you have to use that feature... hopefully in the next Mario Kart game they have double dash and if not, Sonic racing Transformed :P

I never cared a lot for the SNES version. I really fell in love when 64 came out. I still like the battle arenas and a handful of the tracks a lot. I'd have trouble saying it's a better game in any way than some of the more recent releases, though.

• Like 1

SNES Super Mario Kart is my second least favorite game of the series. Mario Kart 8 is, in my opinion, not only the best MK but also probably the greatest racer that I've ever played. Mario Kart 64 will always have a special place in my heart reserved for it though.

Mario Kart Wii is not a shining star but it is playable enough if you have a Wii Classic Gamepad. However, I find that the Wii Wheel control scheme makes the game all but unplayable for me. Mario Kart games are won or lost on your ability to drift effectively and I cannot drift for crap when using that stupid wheel.

When I had Mario Kart Double Dash for my Gamecube, I absolutely loved it. There was something about it that was just amazing to me, probably the fact that you share a kart with your racing NPC partner and had different special abilities. It was certainly a unique spin on the Mario Kart franchise. I was never very good at it, but loved playing a session or two during the evening hours.

I didn't like it as much as the previous MK games for two main reasons: the camera was too zoomed in, making it harder to gauge the track, and the weapons felt more unbalanced than before. I also almost never used the co-op aspect of it. I still played a lot of it and it was a good game, just not as good as SNES MK and MK64.