IGNORED

Broken Controller Ports

boesch

So I have a CX2600 model that has some issues with a controller port. The left port always registers the button as being constantly pressed or not pressed at all. The joystick still works fine. I've tried multiple controllers and none of them work in the left but they all function in the right. I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the issue and potentially find a solution.

Have you opened up the machine to check for a for a shorted trace from the controller port? If you don't see a short, it time to consult the VCS Field Service Guide and follow the troubleshooting flowcharts. I could be a bad transistor on that line or possibly a bad chip. The flow chart suggests (in order) swap out the TIA chip, the 6507 chip, the RIOT (6532) chip, and finally replace the resistor on that line (R226 for the left controller).

Good luck!

Since you've got a Sixer, my bet would be it's the hexbuffer chip only found in Sixers. Luckily It's a $1off-the-shelf component, shame they left this out in later re-designs as it tends to protect other ICs by failing first in case of short, static discharge, etc.

Check out this thread.

PS, it describes the same issue as the thread presented by BigO & zylon above, only in more detail.

Edited by Mef
  • Like 1

Since you've got a Sixer, my bet would be it's the hexbuffer chip only found in Sixers. Luckily It's a $1off-the-shelf component, shame they left this out in later re-designs as it tends to protect other ICs by failing first in case of short, static discharge, etc.

Check out this thread.

PS, it describes the same issue as the thread presented by BigO & zylon above, only in more detail.

If it is indeed the hex buffer, they're 39¢ from Jameco as of this morning - I know, because there's one in the XL series of computers as well, and the one in my 800XL decided to take a powder last night. I pulled one from another machine and fixed the problem for now, but I'll be picking up a few extras soon.

• Like 1