IGNORED

TUNNELS OF DOOM - In Depth!

TI-GAMER

OK..... I see Post's referring to Tunnels of Doom on a regular basis and again today.

Tunnels of Doom is my All Time Favorite TI-99 Game. Maybe it's because I grew up during the times of playing Dungeons and Dragons on paper for hours on end with some of the neighborhood kids. Tunnels of Doom was Awesome bc you could play it if no one else was available. It had sound and color and the graphics were OK (Considering the 1980's)

Anyways.... Can we come up with a Compilation of all of the Tunnels of Dooms games (or TOD Style and Remakes) for the TI-99/4A Computer System and list them here? Any detailed information as to who also made them would be helpful and how good they were compared to the Base Game.

post-41001-0-19629800-1437782257_thumb.png

post-41001-0-07541800-1437782258_thumb.gif

Edited by TI-GAMER
  • Like 2

Great thread idea! This would be the perfect place to dump ALL known TOD .dsk images... and future ones.

I have a TOD cartridge, but have never played the game. I did not want to mess with the single cassette I have to play it. I've never really been into dragons, fantasy or D & D type games, but maybe if I see something good, I just might pull out the cartridge and 'give it a go'.

Howard Kistler, AKA Codex (original author of Magellan and several XB games for the TI)

Also did a Hunt the Wumpus reboot-type game.

Brilliant man, and awesome guy.

You can.load your TI-99 TOD games into Reboot and play them with his graphics.

dreamcodex.com

Look it up at your own risk. ;)

I just came across this picture titled "Tunnels of Doom Reboot"

Does anyone know anything about this?

A fan of TOD made it. It's coded in java I believe. You can find it here.

* Opry99er beat me to it.

Edited by Plastik

I have a TOD cartridge, but have never played the game. I did not want to mess with the single cassette I have to play it. I've never really been into dragons, fantasy or D & D type games, but maybe if I see something good, I just might pull out the cartridge and 'give it a go'.

No need to worry about that. ;) "PENNIES" (training mission) and "QUEST" (Save the King!) are the two games on the cassette AFAIK, you can load them from disk as well. Here's a disk image.

I suppose technically it's good to have the basics in a compilation thread too ;)

ToD.dsk

post-12959-0-78725100-1437884836_thumb.pngpost-12959-0-20781200-1437884841_thumb.png

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 4

No need to worry about that. ;) "PENNIES" (training mission) and "QUEST" (Save the King!) are the two games on the cassette AFAIK, you can load them from disk as well. Here's a disk image.

I suppose technically it's good to have the basics in a compilation thread too ;)

attachicon.gifToD.dsk

attachicon.gifpennies.pngattachicon.gifquest.png

I agree.... The Basics are perfect for those who have never played or want to start playing again. Are there any TOD Games based on the Lord of the Rings Scenario or the Hobbit?

I put the Hobbit Slinger from Hell into one of the games I was using as a testbed to suss out the meanings of every bit in the monster tables BITD. That one was evil--it would wipe out an entire party in about two rounds. . .but it taught me just how much the maximum settings in those attack values meant when in-game.

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifToD.dsk

attachicon.gifpennies.pngattachicon.gifquest.png

Thanks Tursi! I just downloaded it. I'll convert it to HFE tonight and maybe sometime later this week I'll play my first TOD game! :)

Reply to chopper commander: "was there ever a Lord of the Rings TOD game?" Yes. Ken Gilliland's "Halls of Lost Moria". It had a special map saved that was very wide on screen, to simulate a cavern system tunneling through the mountain. The instructions said to use the "load existing game" and not to "create a new game".

Victor

• Like 1

Asgard distributed several TOD games.
I dug these out of the Asgard RIP 1 disks found here:
disks: TOD-Daring-Adventures-in-K-MART_ASGARD.dsk
TOPGAMES_ASGARD.dsk

game file name: ASSAULT
title: Assault the City
title screen: post-42954-0-17314500-1440358639_thumb.png
by: John Behnke
game file name: COMPUTE
title: Computer Nightmare
title screen: post-42954-0-20280900-1440358640_thumb.png
game file name: DEATH
title: The Tomb of Death
title screen: post-42954-0-19195000-1440358641_thumb.png
game file name: DOCTOR
title: Doctor Who
title screen: post-42954-0-20462500-1440358642_thumb.png
characters: post-42954-0-84933900-1440359003_thumb.png
game file name: K-MART
title: Daring Adventures in KMART
title screen: post-42954-0-20676200-1440358643_thumb.png
characters: post-42954-0-44153600-1440359004_thumb.png
by: Ken Gilliland
game file name: ORBS
title: The Dragon Orbs
title screen: post-42954-0-20524600-1440358644_thumb.png
game file name: TOWER
title: The Dark Tower
title screen: post-42954-0-20846000-1440358645_thumb.png
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...

Can someone slow down and explain this to me step by step?

I used to play ToD in the 80s on my friends TI-99 in the 80s, then (in the 90s) I found a TI emulator (classic 99) which ran on my win 3.1 system (I actually worked with the author of classic 99 on the speed issues).  Since going to win 98 & beyond, I haven't been able to get this game running again.

I have recently found references on being able to run it through mame (Win7 & up), but I am totally lost on how to make/find the bin file or use existing ToD.dsk files, et. al., again, can someone slow it down and explain like ToD on Win7, 8 or 10 for dummies?

Thx

Indeed, CLASSIC99 makes selecting Tunnels of Doom games really, really simple.  Just select Tunnels of Doom like so:

image.png.5cd1ff5c0b461f7118a8a4fdf85216af.png

Choose to load from DSK1:

image.png.7126af04d32a0eece794b136a3248e36.png

And select whatever file you want to load by name.

I made my own compilation of Tunnels of Doom games a while ago, which is available here, and includes an index and descriptions:

https://pixelpedant.com/TODGames.zip

Game Descriptions are as follows:

Spoiler

PENNIES & PRIZES    

Welcome to the Tunnels of Doom introductory database.  There are no monsters, weapons, or magical items to be found. You only need to walk around, and collect all 8 treasures, as well as some pennies. This database is suitable for demonstrations or children.

-------------------------

QUEST OF THE KING    

Up to four players go into a dungeon beneath a ruined castle. Your task is to rescue your king, captured by the monsters within the dungeon, before he is executed. You must also retrieve the king's orb of power.

ASSAULT THE CITY    

Eight travelers have been taken captive by inhabitants of an underground city. You must rescue them. Good luck!

THE TOMB OF DEATH    

Descend into a haunted tomb and defeat the evil demi-lich who lurks within an old evil tomb. You also must find his eight hidden treasures.

THE VOLCANO FORTRESS    

The mighty Volcano Fortress holds four magic chests and the keys to open them. You must find them and escape alive.

***     Q U E S T      ***     

QFK was specially written for 'T of D' enthusiasts. New monsters, spells and much more lie in waiting!

COMPUTER NIGHTMARE    

The computers have taken over the world. Your job is travel into their base and unplug the 4 terminal output lines that connect them to the outside world. Good luck.

Revenge of the Evil Priest    

You have defeated the evil priest, but now he has teleported you back to his new lair.  You have to find his power staff and magic wand to defeat him on your journey through his castle.

THE DARK TOWER    

The dark tower was destroyed many years ago but rumor has it that great treasures were hidden in the dungeon below. Make your fortune! Good luck.

--- S P A C E -- M I N E ---    

1-4 players have landed at a remote space mine in search of 8 power crystals.  Find them to save the universe.

HEADLINE:EINSTEIN KIDNAPPED    

A group of terrorist monks have kidnapped Einstein and a radical new atomic device. If you don't stop them they may control the world with the aid of a group of nasty creatures! please help...

DOCTOR WHO    

You have become the doctor - an old time lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels through time in his Tardis time machine. You must find the 8 keys to time, but watch for those who will stop you.

THE DRAGON ORBS    

You have discovered the lost dungeon of dragons. It is in this dungeon that the 8 orbs of dragonkind are supposedly hidden. You must recover the orbs and return them to your king to complete your quest.

DARING ADVENTURES IN KMART    

Your quest is to find the blue light special and three red tag sales before KMart closes.  But beware!  Greedy housewives and overworked nite managers lurk around every aisle!

QUEST FOR THE "MAGIC MAKER"    

Explore the depths of an old dungeon in your quest to find the "magic maker" diamond.  You must locate and capture it before it is destroyed by the evil monsters.

MAGIC RINGS OF THE GNOMES      

You must enter a dark castle in search of the 7 magic rings which will save the gnomes from a spell placed over their land by a evil sorcerer; you must also rescue the gnome wizard who holds the secret of the rings. Good luck!!

NERDS PERSECUTED AGAIN!    

Nasty frat boys swiped your best calculators and stashed them somewhere in a grim old haunted fraternity house. You and a few other wimps must enter and recover your calculators before exam time begins. Good luck nerds!!!

GALLIFREYAN MENACE    

You are sent beneath the Dark Tower to recover a very damaged Tardis and a number of components which have been scattered throughout the tower. The worst enemies of the Doctor have banded together to stop you.

COMPUTER QUEST    

The world has run out of TI computer systems! You must enter a high-tech underground storage facility and retrieve the prototype TI console and P.E. Box so more can be made!

THE SHOPPING TRIP    

Oh no! Your senile uncle has wandered into gang-infested south-central Los Angeles on a shopping trip & got lost! You and your friends must save your uncle and his lost bags of groceries before gangs and other nasties get him!

THE QUEST FOR THE TRUE KING    

Could it be true?  The king sighted in a burger king in Kalamazoo? No! Actually it's Elvis's evil twin brother! You and your party must stop him and his seven fraudulent singles from reaching the hands of greedy producers!

Scroll of Aziati    

"Your princess has had a death spell casted upon her.  Your only hope is to find the scroll of Aziati before the suns light stops shining upon her and read the magic spell to release her.

Castle Drakov    

It is the longest night!  As you know this is when all evil presence come to life.  Find the cross and stake used to kill Count Drakov, the leader of the vampires.  If you fail you become one!!!

Revenge of Count Drakov    

Count Drakov has risen once again from a single drop of fine blood.  Retrieve the map to his crypt, a stake, and the mallet to destroy him once again or become part of his clan forever!

Curse of the Anakanda     

Anakanda, king of the snake gods has cursed your city.  For the past 7000 years.  Find the magic scroll to break the curse and set your city free or suffer the fate of the great Anakanda!!

Dungeon of Death    

You have insulted the great wizard Merlin.  He has placed you in his worst fate, the dungeon of death!  Find the two power keys to unlock the last doors & escape with your life or die!

Forbidden Land    

On your quest you have come across the Forbidden Land, but you are entrapped within this land.  The only way out is to find the magic amulet and teleport yourself back home or be imprisoned forever.

Curse of the Mummy    

The mummy, Drakken, has been arisen from his tomb & is causing holy terror.  Find the vial of holy water and the burning tea leaves to return Drakken back to his dark tomb and never to return!

The Longest Night    

The evil wizard Berndar, has cast a spell to freeze time, so he can rule your kingdom.  Find his two spell books to break his spell and set your kingdom free, or die under his evil rule!!!

The Medallion of Power    

The evil wizard, Zakna, has stolen Merlin’s Medallion of Power.  Recover it and all your dreams of wealth will be fulfilled and Merlin will be in your debt forever.

Chambers of the Evil Priest    

Up to 4 players can enter my dungeon but some will not survive.  Find the Magic sword & dagger before the evil priest finds them & drains their magic to kill you!

Scroll of Infinite Wisdom    

Your quest is a simple one, find the two scrolls of infinite wisdom.  This will enable you to succeed your father’s throne, as he is dying.  Without the scroll the kingdom will fall the fate of evil.

The Secret of Acropolis    

The legend of Acropolis states “within is the fountain of life, eternal life”.   Retrieve the map and unlock the secret of Acropolis to prove that the legend is true!

The Eyes of Surya    

Anshar has stolen the eyes of Surya for her power staff.  She will cause holy terror throughout the universe if she is able to use their power.  Recover them and save the universe from her evil doom!

Quest for the Golden Sword    

Wizard Reknuk has stolen the magical Golden Sword of ASI.  Retrieve the sword before he drains its magic and conquers this world or become his slave for eternity.

*** HALLS OF-LOST MORIA! ***    

You are commissioned by Thorin III Stonehelm - Lord Under the Mountain - to find "the lost map of Moria".  You start in Dimrill Dale, at a "pricey" black market. (*beware of the balrog!!!)

DEATHS CHAMBER    

Welcome adventurer to the deaths chamber. You must enter the chamber and retrive the staff of death and 7 gems before they self destruct. Return them to the top and end the death wizard's plan for control of the city.

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS    

Up to four brave adventurers descend into a deep dungeon beneath the king's castle. You are to rescue the royal family being held captive by the monsters. Also in the dungeon: Crown of Might, Orb of Might, Sceptre of Might, Ring of Gaxx

THE EVIL DUNGEON    

You must save the world from the evil rule of computers who have taken control. Enter an old dungeon which has been deserted for decades to recover the program which will destroy the computers. However, monsters guard the way!!

GAME OF THE IMMORTALS    

Your quest is to journey into the Dungeon of Astrals to forfill (sic) the immortals challenge. Your challenge: to find the pearl of wisdom. Also find the seven golden chalices in the dungeon.

A STAR TREK ADVENTURE    

While you wander this universe you will encounter beings and creatures both familiar and obscure depending on your knowledge of Trek trivia. All of them are nasty...some of them are terrifying. Find the eight tribbles and get a starfleet commendation.

THE GEMS OF THE NINJA    

A brave party of adventurers must enter the temple of the ninja and retrive the gems within. They must also get his golden shuriken (throwing star) and leave the temple with their lives before the ninja destroys his gems.

LEGEND OF BERYL REICHARDT    

A half-man half-dragon warrior from the ancient realm has come on a quest to recover his birthright from an evil sorcerer.  This quest is to recover his murdered fathers sword. He has brought with him three fine companions to help traverse the tunnels of doom.

***DUNE***    

The planet Arrakis is also known as *Dune*. Dune is the source of the most valuable substance in the universe: *the spice* - *melange*. You are Fremen led by Paul Muad'Dib of the Atreides. The enemy are the Harkonnens and they want the  *melange*  or they will destroy it all.

*GARFIELD*    

Garfield likes to control everything; but he has lost his toys. Now he must hunt through the basements in the neighborhood to find them. The neighborhood  pets and pests want to keep the  toys themselves.  Are garfield & friends tough enough?

That was for a three part series I did reviewing the history of community-made Tunnels of Doom games, which is available here:

Tunnels of Doom: Inventing and Reinventing the TI-99 RPG (1982-1985)

Doom Games: New Tunnels of Doom Titles for TI-99: 1985-1986

Final Doom: Tunnels of Doom’s Best Adventures: 1987-1994

My Personal Favourites:

*** HALLS OF-LOST MORIA! ***    

You are commissioned by Thorin III Stonehelm - Lord Under the Mountain - to find "the lost map of Moria".  You start in Dimrill Dale, at a "pricey" black market. (*beware of the balrog!!!)

COMPUTER QUEST    

The world has run out of TI computer systems! You must enter a high-tech underground storage facility and retrieve the prototype TI console and P.E. Box so more can be made!

THE SHOPPING TRIP    

Oh no! Your senile uncle has wandered into gang-infested south-central Los Angeles on a shopping trip & got lost! You and your friends must save your uncle and his lost bags of groceries before gangs and other nasties get him!

THE QUEST FOR THE TRUE KING    

Could it be true?  The king sighted in a burger king in Kalamazoo? No! Actually it's Elvis's evil twin brother! You and your party must stop him and his seven fraudulent singles from reaching the hands of greedy producers!

NERDS PERSECUTED AGAIN!    

Nasty frat boys swiped your best calculators and stashed them somewhere in a grim old haunted fraternity house. You and a few other wimps must enter and recover your calculators before exam time begins. Good luck nerds!!!

DARING ADVENTURES IN KMART    

Your quest is to find the blue light special and three red tag sales before KMart closes.  But beware!  Greedy housewives and overworked nite managers lurk around every aisle!

***     Q U E S T      ***     

QFK was specially written for 'T of D' enthusiasts. New monsters, spells and much more lie in waiting!

HEADLINE:EINSTEIN KIDNAPPED    

A group of terrorist monks have kidnapped Einstein and a radical new atomic device. If you don't stop them they may control the world with the aid of a group of nasty creatures! please help...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1