IGNORED

Keyboard Switches for 600XL

mattlacey

Hi Everyone,

I picked up a 600XL today, in box which is great condition (almost no yellowing!) apart from a broken key... the white mount that the keycap sits on is broken and the corresponding spring is missing. Anyone have, or know where I can get a replacement? Neither B&C or Best seem to sell just those parts, and from experience shipping to Australia from them can be a pain too.

Cheers, Lacey

Can you post a photo? I may have suitable spares.

Sure thing... Fair warning though, I've not cleaned the machine yet. It's pretty nasty in places :)

This is how the socket for the G key looks, and I've removed the key cap for F to see what was up. As you can see there's this white mount which has a spring underneath (which you can't see in the pic):

WP_20150725_21_54_35_Pro.jpg?dl=1

And this is the G key cap, removed but with the mount attached to it. As you can see, part of the mount is broken off, so even if I found a spring I don't think it'd hold in place. Also it looks as though the metal arm of the switch might be bent too, so if you do have the parts one of those would be great!

WP_20150725_21_54_25_Pro.jpg?dl=1

OK - I found a couple of those units, but they are complete. I can pull a couple of switches off of one of them, unless you want the whole k/b asm. You need some keycaps, also?

Bob

Don't need any kepcaps, literally just one switches worth, that said, a couple of spares wouldn't be a bad thing I guess. Only if you're absolutely sure you don't mind breaking those down though! If you'd prefer I can buy a complete unit off you (I assume you're talking about a keyboard and not a complete machine!).

If everything works on your keyboard with the exception of the one key, then I can send you a couple of spare key switches. That way, we still have spares for anyone else that may need them down the road.

Does your k/b work OK?

Bob

That's a good question... will test it today! I picked up the machine and the very first thing I did was pull it apart to give it a clean, so it's still in pieces.

Hey Bob,

The best I can do today is: "I'm pretty sure it works ok". Reason being right now I don't have any video output - it's a PAL machine so has the monitor port but the only cable I've got is rigged for S-video from my modded 800XL. I thought I might just get a greyscale image but then realised that I'm obviously only getting chroma and no luminance through, hence no picture (at least that's my amateur assessment). What I do know is that the audio works and all the keys that should make a beep, do make a beep :)

Hey Bob,

The best I can do today is: "I'm pretty sure it works ok". Reason being right now I don't have any video output - it's a PAL machine so has the monitor port but the only cable I've got is rigged for S-video from my modded 800XL. I thought I might just get a greyscale image but then realised that I'm obviously only getting chroma and no luminance through, hence no picture (at least that's my amateur assessment). What I do know is that the audio works and all the keys that should make a beep, do make a beep :)

you should get luma though I think. only the chroma line is disconnected on 800XL's.

I looked at a spare keyboard I have. After some looking, I think your 'G' key, with the plastic piece in it, like you say, has a broken part, won't work to

try to replace just the white plunger and underneath little spring.

I think the solution is to unsolder an entire key. There are two solder points on the bottom for each key. Maybe a little later I'll try my idea and see,

as I suspect, it is easy to unsolder and remove an entire key.

Edited by russg

(now put pictures in) It was real easy. Now, I don't know about sending to Australia, I would, but suspect

it would be cost prohibitive, more than OP would do. Of course, you can use your old key cap.

Also, your keyboard has to be like mine.

I quick search. Seems it would be $93.00 US to ship FedEx. Oh, well. I'm pretty sure someone

would know a better ship. I said it was a computer part. Weight of entire envelope .1 US pound,

Australian ship zone 3000. (.1 lb is too high, that would be 1.6 oz, it wouldn't weigh 1/2 that.)

post-21816-0-92124400-1438535084_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-26581900-1438535097_thumb.jpg

post-21816-0-26427200-1438535692_thumb.jpg

Edited by russg

? My keyboard is different?

I tried to check USPS for a letter with a hard object in it. I may just prepare an envelope and take it post office and find out my ship options.

Of course I'd need a complete Australia address. I'm pretty sure USPS will mail it for less than $10.

USPS First Class envelope with a rigid object enclosed - $3.46. You could put a couple of switches in there... 6 ounces is only $7.xx.

Bob

Well if you're happy to send a couple then I can throw you the cash via Paypal. Maybe PM me your Paypal address and we'll go from there?

Actually in the US for 10 days or so in September, planning to potentially do some eBay shopping while there :)

? My keyboard is different?

I tried to check USPS for a letter with a hard object in it. I may just prepare an envelope and take it post office and find out my ship options.

Of course I'd need a complete Australia address. I'm pretty sure USPS will mail it for less than $10.

Sometimes shipping options to here are just off the charts stupid. I was going to buy a t-shirt online once before the shipping came back at $120! Appreciate the offer mate, if Bob's match I'll try those first but otherwise I'll take you up on that for sure!