IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

Hello, all.

I have put together a short special-edition episode of the podcast, a Christmas episode, featuring a few short Atari-related Christmas memories. I don't really mention the Jaguar in this episode, except to say that I don't mention the Jaguar in the episode, but you're OK with that, I'd love for you to join me!

Four Tales of Atari Christmas Past

width_300_Episode.jpg

Wanted to contribute to the AvP podcast, but I've found in my old age I am incapable of playing a lot of early first person shooters because they give me motion sickness. This pretty much means Doom, Wolfenstein, AvP, Marathon, Medal of Honor, and the like are all off the table these days. However, looking forward to getting a few hours in on T2K.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a nice little holiday break, spending time with my family and not worrying about the podcast. I thought about taking a little additional time off, but that's kind of hard to do when the next game up is Tempest 2000.

Do you have any feedback for this game? I'd love to hear it (or read it, that's OK too). Please post here, PM me, or e-mail text or audio to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com with anything you'd like to share about this Llamasoft title. Be sure to include a rating on the No-Swear Gamer scale; I tally these up and include them in the episode guide.

The scale is:

1. "Hall of Fame" game (top 5 on the Jaguar)
  2. "Solid" game
  3. "Meh" game
  4. "Trash" game (bottom 5 on the Jaguar)

I'm aiming for two weeks to get this episode out, so please have any feedback in by the end of the day January 14th.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to swing in and voice my support. I promised Ferg and Phil longer feedback someday since I actually have some experience with their systems, but since my feedback here will be the shortest I figured I'd tackle it first.

I've never played a Jag before and went into yours on the strength of your feedback alone and I have not been disappointed. It's been absolutely fantastic and I look forward to more. I'm especially stoked to hear about Tempest 2000 since Tempest ranks high among my favorite arcade games.

Forgive any poor grammar since I'm not proofreading this and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Edited by horseradish
  • Like 1

Next is Kasumi Ninja: I'm going to rate this as SOLID:

6 *** Good game - You find yourself playing this from time to time.

This is a fun one to play with friends for a laugh. It is soooo over the top in the various fighters and races, and yet enjoyable. You can amp up the blood and have your characters practically slipping in blood. And all this is just to spoof the fighter games of the time. The fireball from under the Scotsman's kilt brought many laughs with me and my friends.

And the commercial for Kasumi Ninja was one that was clever and I thought they did right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy5Uei_XfXI

Overall this is a game iconic to the Jaguar and while not a serious contender for fighting games is sure fun for laughs.

• Like 1

I've never played a Jag before and went into yours on the strength of your feedback alone and I have not been disappointed. It's been absolutely fantastic and I look forward to more. I'm especially stoked to hear about Tempest 2000 since Tempest ranks high among my favorite arcade games.

Thank you, horseradish! I am currently in the middle of editing the Tempest 2000 episode, so I hope to have it out before too long.

Next is Kasumi Ninja: [...]

Wow, doc, you're certainly on top of things! Nicely done. Yeah, Kasumi is up next after T2K. I wonder if I should put on my official headband when I record that one.

• Like 3

Wow, doc, you're certainly on top of things! Nicely done. Yeah, Kasumi is up next after T2K. I wonder if I should put on my official headband when I record that one.

I just want to get my input in on time (and love the show).

As for the headband... yes you should. :D

The Tempest 2000 episode is now available, with the show notes up on the blog. By my count, that's three Atari game-by-game podcast episodes released within the last 12 hours, which totally wasn't planned, but is a cool coincidence. So after listening to Ferg and Phil, please feed your head to the web and enjoy this double-length episode.

• Like 4

The Tempest 2000 episode is now available, with the show notes up on the blog. By my count, that's three Atari game-by-game podcast episodes released within the last 12 hours, which totally wasn't planned, but is a cool coincidence. So after listening to Ferg and Phil, please feed your head to the web and enjoy this double-length episode.

Notes:

Where'd you get the "fluffy sheepie" soundbyte from? That is one creepy robot voice.

I have Videodrome on VHS. Seen it several times. The original "television is the retina of the mind's eye" sounds different. Imagine the mad scientist guy from Fringe saying it. That's what it sounds like in the movie.

The "fluffy sheepie" soundbite is from Gridrunner++, a game Llamasoft released on PocketPC devices, and then Windows. I believe it's also used in Gridrunner Revolution, though I haven't played the latter in quite some time.

Thanks for the confirmation on Videodrome! The picture of the Brian O'Blivion character totally doesn't match the voice in the game soundtrack, but I thought it could have been a difference in pitch or something. I wonder why it was re-recorded for the CD soundtrack; I thought the voice in the original version of Mind's Eye sounded, I don't know, more convincing. Play. Yes, soundtrack voice, I think I will.

Edited by Shinto

Another lovely podcast! Not looking forward to playing Kasumi Ninja for the next one, but I'll gut it out. Just got a rotary controller in the mail too, so maybe I'll add a snippet about playing T2K with it as well!

Also, the name is "Galactus", not "Galacticus". lol

Edited by Trooper Galactus

I just noticed one of the songs in the episode(I'm listening right now) is using a soundbyte from Sam Kinison going "ow owwww!". Anthrax used that same one for one of their songs. Wow, 90s!

I thought that was Sam Kinison!!

Anyway, this has fascinated me so much I have decided to start another thread to talk about this more.

In the meantime, the AvP (Aliens vs. Predators) podcast got me nostalgic for the game. It's funny, it used to bother me fifteen years ago that the Predator, who I thought was Klingon-like, went about killing humans. Also bothered me that humans and aliens were coded side by side without attacking each other.

Fifteen years later my mindset has changed. We got to get the Queen? No problem! What is this? The humans are working WITH the aliens? Well, first off they boarded my ship after we docked AND those humans are in the way of me getting the Queen. Saw the humans as collaborators with the aliens so... they had to go too. :D

Had hours of fun playing the Predator game:

post-4709-0-27171800-1454174389_thumb.jpg

"So if you have a LARGE bug problem, call Doctor Clu's Predator Service.

We prey on what bugs you."

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

Also, the name is "Galactus", not "Galacticus". lol

I caught it, but didnt want to play the nitpicky card & correct him. He made a couple other small factual errors too. IIRR he said the idea for something Jaguar-related began in 1983...

I just noticed one of the songs in the episode(I'm listening right now) is using a soundbyte from Sam Kinison going "ow owwww!". Anthrax used that same one for one of their songs. Wow, 90s!

If we're naming songs with the "Kinison scream"... Oxy's "The Feeling (Summer Remix)"

post-1220-0-33315800-1454542617.png

So, Kasumi Ninja. Hall of Fame? Solid? Meh? Trash? I'd love to include your ratings, thoughts, and memories of this game in the next episode. They can be in text or audio format to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or simply here on AtariAge (PM or post to this thread), on or before February 11th. Thanks!

(Ga-lac-tus. Ga-lac-tus. Ga-lac-tus. Ga-lac-tus. I'll get it right some day.)