IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

Fire up your Supa Dupa Podcast Playa and check out Cannon Fodder, episode 23, which has now been deployed (using a choppa, of course). Link is in the show notes.

Awesome. Flip-Out is next.

Thoughts on Flip-Out:

Very simply, playing Flip-out you have to juggle multiple tiles while the curiousity of the aliens causes them to get out on the playboard and weigh down tiles and so forth.

This is as enjoyable as trying to get things done around your house, or even saying typing this message, and a cat being right in your business either on your keyboard or mouse, which my cat currently is. :P

Yep, about that fun. So good, kinda cute, even frustrating. My sales pitch for Flip-Out if I made a commercial:

post-4709-0-36914400-1526084601.jpg

"If you know how to work around cats you'll mildly enjoy this game. "

- Doctor Clu

Edited by doctorclu

• 3 months later...

The tiles have finally landed in their correct spots, meaning the FlipOut! episode is available for your listening pleasure (or consternation, depending on how you feel about FlipOut!). I was honored and fortunate to have the game's designer Conrad Barski answer a lot of questions about the game, and fill the gaps in FlipOut!'s development story. Check it out through the link at the top of the show notes, or in iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, or your favorite RSS-based podcast player.

The next episode covers the top-down racing game Power Drive Rally. Memories? Opinions? Post here, or e-mail jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com. Above all, though, thank you for listening!

• 2 weeks later...

Power Drive Rally -

Simply put, "Hot Wheels for the Jaguar".

Cute game, sometimes gets fun figuring the direction in relation to which way the car is turned. Other than that, pretty solid game.

Naturally I liked to try to off road in what little bit I played this.

• 2 months later...

You've paid the entry fees and patched up your rally machine, so now's the time to grab your co-driver and check out episode 25, Power Drive Rally.

The next episode will cover Imagitec's I-War! If you have any feedback you'd like to share, please post here, or send a PM or e-mail with text or audio to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com on or before December 7th.

Thank you for listening!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

How can a computer virus collection save the world? Find out in the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast, featuring I-War! Big, big thanks to Seedy1812 for helping out with this episode.

Coming up next time is Flashback: The Quest for Identity. I'd love to hear your feedback on this one, whether that's posted here, sent via PM, or e-mailed to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com on or before February 23rd.

Thanks for tuning in!

• Like 5

How can a computer virus collection save the world? Find out in the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast, featuring I-War! Big, big thanks to Seedy1812 for helping out with this episode.

Coming up next time is Flashback: The Quest for Identity. I'd love to hear your feedback on this one, whether that's posted here, sent via PM, or e-mailed to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com on or before February 23rd.

Thanks for tuning in!

Hi Shinto

I really love your podcast. I've been listening to a few episodes when I have time and I really appreciate the amount of thought and planning that goes into each one. You've approached this project very professionally. Listening to the podcast has inspired me to get my Jaguar back out of the closet and start playing some of my old favorites again.

• Like 2

Heya Shinto.

Outstanding work on the I-War podcast.

It's never been a secret the game itself has never impressed me, always prefered Assault Rigs on Playstation myself and found Imagitec Design performed far, far better when handling conversions or doing music for other people.

Their ambitious attempts at their own ganes either fell short or simply never arrived.

It was fascinating to hear Andrew Seed and Karl West say the I-War engine was built to shift plain, Gouraud shaded polygons and (yet again) it was Atari that asked for the texture mapping and Imagitec being against it as they knew it would kill the frame rate..but you gotta do what the paymaster wants...

That again puts certain, unproven claims of a supposed advanced version of the I-War Engine being side lined for Jaguar Freelancer 2120 and not the Jaguar Doom Engine (which Andrew Seed has said was to be used and Atari internal documents show Atari/Imagitec took delivery of..) yet further into the realms of pure fantasy.

There were claims at the time from within Imagitec that Atari had gone into and i quote. ."complete and utter mental mode, wanting them to add lots of texture mapping and lighting to Freelancer 2120, so it could be seen to compete with Playstation and Saturn titles".Imagitec had made clear the hardware, let alone any engine they wrote for it, just couldn't deliver that at a decent frame rate.

Thank you for your painstaking research.

It is much appreciated.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Heya Shinto.

Outstanding work on the I-War podcast.

It's never been a secret the game itself has never impressed me, always prefered Assault Rigs on Playstation myself and found Imagitec Design performed far, far better when handling conversions or doing music for other people.

Their ambitious attempts at their own ganes either fell short or simply never arrived.

It was fascinating to hear Andrew Seed and Karl West say the I-War engine was built to shift plain, Gouraud shaded polygons and (yet again) it was Atari that asked for the texture mapping and Imagitec being against it as they knew it would kill the frame rate..but you gotta do what the paymaster wants...

That again puts certain, unproven claims of a supposed advanced version of the I-War Engine being side lined for Jaguar Freelancer 2120 and not the Jaguar Doom Engine (which Andrew Seed has said was to be used and Atari internal documents show Atari/Imagitec took delivery of..) yet further into the realms of pure fantasy.

There were claims at the time from within Imagitec that Atari had gone into and i quote. ."complete and utter mental mode, wanting them to add lots of texture mapping and lighting to Freelancer 2120, so it could be seen to compete with Playstation and Saturn titles".Imagitec had made clear the hardware, let alone any engine they wrote for it, just couldn't deliver that at a decent frame rate.

Thank you for your painstaking research.

It is much appreciated.

The texture maps make the graphics look a tiny bit more interesting than just plain one color abstract shapes. Visually the enviroments are still a snorefest, Atari was right to push them a bit out of their comfort zone. Explosions are fantastic though!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We've got memory loss, tricky aliens, and maybe even a new cheat code in the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast, featuring Flashback: The Quest for Identity. Also available on iTunes, Stitcher, and Google Play Music Podcasts Whatever.

The next episode will feature Supercross 3D! If you have any memories or opinions of this game, please post here, or e-mail jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.

Thank you for tuning in.

My boys watched Wordgirl & that talking dog cartoon in an hour-long PBS block after school. They also used to love Arthur. PBS was the only station we could leave on knowing there'd be nothing we didnt want them to see.

The only enemy I recall is a butcher that shot meat from his hands(?)

Edited by RJ