IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow, despite it being an apparently huge game, I don't remember hearing about "Flashback" when it was a new game. I had heard of "Another World/Out of this World" and people seemed to refer to it as a "have to experience" type game. After listening to Episode 27 I was very intrigued. Since the Jaguar cartridge isn't exactly going cheap on eBay right now, I decided to check out Flashback ... ummm ... virtually.

I'm definitely hooked, but I'm sort of learning by death. "Oh, ok, I guess I shouldn't walk into that green glowing thing..." Maybe I should listen through the podcast again, hopefully I pick up more this time...

Excellent episode, as usual, Shinto!!

Now, let's see if i can make it just a little further...

Flashback is still an outstanding game.

I'm still sour about that damned sequel though...

Back during the "everything 2D MUST now be 3D" phase.

Thierry Levastre, who worked at Delphine as a 2D / 3D artist for many years. Thierry told Unseen64 that the Flashback team did start working on Flashback 2 after the first one was released, but only an early draft of its story, game intro and a short animation of a mech were done before the project was cancelled.

Game at this stage planned for the Sega CD.

And i seem to remember Thierry Gaerthner, Technical Producer being quoted in the press around 1997 that they had contemplated doing the sequel in 2D.

Initally using same viewpoint as Flashback, then deciding a top-down, Gauntlet style view with some pseudo-3D sections, before finally going the full polygon 3D route.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The latest episode of the podcast is out, covering Supercross 3D!

Next up will be Theme Park. If you have memories you'd like to share, please post here, send a PM, or even an e-mail to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com. Haven't had any audio submissions in a while. Just sayin'. :)

Thanks for listening!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 2:52 PM, Shinto said:

The latest episode of the podcast is out, covering Supercross 3D!

Next up will be Theme Park. If you have memories you'd like to share, please post here, send a PM, or even an e-mail to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com. Haven't had any audio submissions in a while. Just sayin'. :)

Thanks for listening!

Your request for extra info has been successful my friend.

Check your email. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 5:35 PM, agradeneu said:

The texture maps make the graphics look a tiny bit more interesting than just plain one color abstract shapes. Visually the enviroments are still a snorefest, Atari was right to push them a bit out of their comfort zone. Explosions are fantastic though!!

Sadly knowing Atari the decision was based on trying to make the Jaguar appear capable of handling similar 3D enviroments found in Saturn and Playstation titles, rather than creating better environments for Jaguar owners to experience. 

• 2 months later...

Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast Interview - Shinto Reveals All

Looking for another retro gaming podcast after the unmissable Arcade Attack Retro Gaming Podcast (https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast/)?! ;) Then why not get your Atari fix from the classy Jaguar Game By Game Pod created by the awesome Shinto! Need more persuading? Here’s a lovely text interview with the man himself:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/jaguar-game-by-game-podcast/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adriano Arcade said:

Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast Interview - Shinto Reveals All

Looking for another retro gaming podcast after the unmissable Arcade Attack Retro Gaming Podcast (https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast/)?! ;) Then why not get your Atari fix from the classy Jaguar Game By Game Pod created by the awesome Shinto! Need more persuading? Here’s a lovely text interview with the man himself:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/jaguar-game-by-game-podcast/

A fantastic and long over due interview done by my favourite interviewers.

Shinto is most deserving of an interview and like yourselves has worked tirelessly for the community. 

Having someone of his standing add a confirmation voice that none of the Atari Jaguar titles started life on the Panther was most helpful in confirming the misc research i had been doing and Shinto has the credibility i lack.

Very much enjoyed the podcasts by both parties and your Interviews.

Here's to many more from both of you. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

A fantastic and long over due interview done by my favourite interviewers.

Shinto is most deserving of an interview and like yourselves has worked tirelessly for the community. 

Having someone of his standing add a confirmation voice that none of the Atari Jaguar titles started life on the Panther was most helpful in confirming the misc research i had been doing and Shinto has the credibility i lack.

Very much enjoyed the podcasts by both parties and your Interviews.

Here's to many more from both of you. 

Our pleasure! Shinto is a legend! I agree!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

After a lengthy build time, the gates to the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast episode on Theme Park are open!  Inside, you'll find, surprisingly, the longest episode to date.  And despite the Park Advisor's objections, admission is free!  

Coming up in the next episode we'll be covering fan favorite racing game Super Burnout.  Please post any opinions, reviews, or feedback here, in a PM, or sent (as text or audio file) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've enjoyed the podcast on Theme Park.   See what I can say about Super Burnout but if I don't get back around to it I will say this: 

This was the most played game of my friend's kids played on their Jaguar.   And they got very good at it as I believe there got to a point where I never beat them again.  :P

Good controls, or at least fun to play and replay.

1970695258_SuperBurnout(World).thumb.png.8b7e3d72bc81881866f27f977ee5153c.png

On 2/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, RJ said:

What other games besides SB were part of the postcard ad campaign?

Besides Super Burnout, there were postcards for White Men Can't Jump, Ultra Vortek, FlipOut!, and the Jaguar CD which included four CD games (Hoverstrike: Unconquered Lands, Dragon's Lair, Primal Rage, Highlanter) on one side plus four carts (Power Drive Rally, I-War, Rayman, and Ruiner Pinball) on the other.  I believe there was a second Jaguar CD postcard, but it's not one I appear to have received/saved from 1995.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
Best time! Final lap!

If you just read those words in an echoing "real male voice," then you may be a fan of the Jaguar-exclusive Super Burnout, perhaps the best racing game on the platform.  Learn all about it the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast.

The next episode will feature Syndicate by Bullfrog.  I've never actually plugged this cart into my Jaguar, so I'm hoping YOU (yes, you) have some memories you can share.  If so, please post here, or e-mail your feedback to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.  Thanks!
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Shinto said:
Best time! Final lap!

If you just read those words in an echoing "real male voice," then you may be a fan of the Jaguar-exclusive Super Burnout, perhaps the best racing game on the platform.  Learn all about it the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast.

The next episode will feature Syndicate by Bullfrog.  I've never actually plugged this cart into my Jaguar, so I'm hoping YOU (yes, you) have some memories you can share.  If so, please post here, or e-mail your feedback to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.  Thanks!

Mike explaining the slowdown:

Syndicate and theme park are both very simulation heavy games designed to run on a high end 486 (at the time) and even on PC suffer slow downs, without a major simplification of the game it was never going to run at a constant great framerate. With more time we could have made it run better, but I guess projected unit sales were so low it wasnt worth the business guys at Bullfrog have us spend more time and maybe make a loss on making the games.."

Thought it might help with the podcast. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RJ said:

Syndicate was overinvolved & controls were overcomplicated. PC-platform games didnt port well to the Jag. I only ever got to the mission where you used the Persuadertron.

Just slapped up Mike explaining he could of spent more time on the game, but projected sales were low. 

I was... OK with the controls, Jaguar pad never going to replace a mouse and i could only play Playstation XCOM and Syndicate Wars etc  with a PS mouse. 

N64 Command And Conquer i found unplayable with that controller. 

It was the pointless zoom feature on Jaguar Syndicate that had me scratching my head. 

I made it to final mission on Jag Syndicate, never beat the damn thing mind. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shinto said:

The next episode will feature Syndicate by Bullfrog.  

Syndicate I remember seeing for the Jaguar and did pick up a copy to try.  I smiled remembering the hours my friends played this in college on a PC and was a bit proud to brag to them the Jaguar also had the title.  I think I planned to play it more once I beat Cannon Fodder; and darnit while stuck on that game the war was just so much fun.  ;)

18 hours ago, Shinto said:

If you just read those words in an echoing "real male voice," then you may be a fan of the Jaguar-exclusive Super Burnout

How did you know? ?

Happy to see this out.  I'm still relatively new to the Jaguar, and I was worried this podcast was going to be yet another thing I found just after everyone else was done caring about it.  I'm only about 3 or 4 episodes in, but I love it.  keep them coming!  I'll see if I can catch up before syndicate comes out ?

• Like 1