IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

Syndicate!  As much as I love AvP and Tempest 2000, Syndicate might be my favorite game on the Jaguar.  It's true the controls are complicated, and I think that makes it hard for many fans to get into Syndicate.  But if you can learn the controls, there's a ton of fun to be had!

I think Syndicate is a great example of the Jaguar's controller being used wisely.  That number pad can serve more of a function than just selecting your weapons quickly in Doom (which is already more than what contemporary controllers could do!).  Some of the other console ports of Syndicate had to be completely retooled from the PC version just to be functional on a controller.  But the Jaguar version lets you direct your agents in different directions, shoot at different targets, scroll through available weapons and inventory, and adjust each agent's drug levels individually, all with relative ease...but only once you've mastered those controls.

For me, the joy in Syndicate lies in building your corporation from a tiny fledgling operation to a global powerhouse.  Initially, you're outnumbered and outgunned almost everywhere you go.  But by the end of the game, you have super-powered agents, top of the line tech, and insanely powerful weapons.

Shinto, I've played through Syndicate beginning to end at least three times.  I'm pretty familiar with it.  If there's anything I can help with, please let me know.  I've been looking forward to this episode of the podcast for years.

• Like 3

On 29 de agosto de 2020 at 5:45 PM, Shinto said:
Best time! Final lap!

If you just read those words in an echoing "real male voice," then you may be a fan of the Jaguar-exclusive Super Burnout, perhaps the best racing game on the platform.  Learn all about it the latest episode of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast.

The next episode will feature Syndicate by Bullfrog.  I've never actually plugged this cart into my Jaguar, so I'm hoping YOU (yes, you) have some memories you can share.  If so, please post here, or e-mail your feedback to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.  Thanks!

At last! This was the one I was looking forward the most :D

I had Syndicate for quite some time. I could never figure out the controls. I was just too confusing no matter how much I referenced the manual. How did this thing get released without an overlay? Way too many button combinations to pull off what should be a basic function. Ultimately, I feel this is a PC game that should not have made the jump to consoles. I sold this game on eBay last year and have no intention of trying this one again. I'll just stick to Theme Park for my sim fix.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tripled79 said:

I had Syndicate for quite some time. I could never figure out the controls. I was just too confusing no matter how much I referenced the manual. How did this thing get released without an overlay? Way too many button combinations to pull off what should be a basic function. Ultimately, I feel this is a PC game that should not have made the jump to consoles. I sold this game on eBay last year and have no intention of trying this one again. I'll just stick to Theme Park for my sim fix.

Have you seen the MD/SNES versions? 

I can't even bring myself to try them on the E. A collection on the PSP. 

Far too cut down from the Amiga Syndicate I knew for my tastes. 

4 hours ago, Lost Dragon said:

Have you seen the MD/SNES versions? 

I can't even bring myself to try them on the E. A collection on the PSP. 

Far too cut down from the Amiga Syndicate I knew for my tastes. 

Ugh, I hunted down that compilation because I just assumed the Syndicate port would be the original.  I ended up finding it at a show and overpaying for it, because I was sick of hunting for it.  Once I fired it up, I realized it was a port of the Genesis version.  I never played it again.  Serves me right for not doing my research.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

Ugh, I hunted down that compilation because I just assumed the Syndicate port would be the original.  I ended up finding it at a show and overpaying for it, because I was sick of hunting for it.  Once I fired it up, I realized it was a port of the Genesis version.  I never played it again.  Serves me right for not doing my research.

It was something of a farce in itself, Peter Molyneux never made a secret of thinking the SNES and Mega Drive were just toys, he would be glad to see the back of them, then we got news Syndicate was coming to them and i feared the worst. 

On 12/6/2019 at 1:42 AM, Shinto said:

After a lengthy build time, the gates to the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast episode on Theme Park are open!  Inside, you'll find, surprisingly, the longest episode to date.  And despite the Park Advisor's objections, admission is free!  

Coming up in the next episode we'll be covering fan favorite racing game Super Burnout.  Please post any opinions, reviews, or feedback here, in a PM, or sent (as text or audio file) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.

Thanks!

UK Press gave it a real hiding. 

Gamesworld 41% (incorrectly stated as 43% on Wikipedia) 

Ultimate Future Games 31%

Gamesmaster 26/100

Edge 4/10

Sent you some material, including very early screens, you'll need to work with some of it mind ?

Edited by Lost Dragon

Great episode as always Shinto, Super Burnout is a favorite so I was really looking forward to this one. Syndicate is a game I also have never had any interest in, but sometimes learning about those are some of the most fun listens.

Thanks for pushing on through the pandemic, as someone who also has been working more than ever I sympathize with the jealousy of friends and family who have had so much free time. And I don't have the luxury to WFH (aforementioned food & beverage production) so be thankful for that at least.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, RJ said:

Well, it was a 9-month stretch this last time around...

Indeed, and it turns out it only took me ~3 months to catch up. Now I have to go dig out more CDs from my late-90's-only collection to put on the VLM while I solder or work out instead of listening to this. This is the first podcast I've listened to more than an episode or two of, and I like it more and more, which makes it all the more difficult to wait for the next episode now. That said, as someone working at home with 2 young kids who don't entertain themselves yet trying to squeeze in some Jaguar hobbying of my own now and then, I certainly know how it goes. No rush. Take care of what's important first.

I don't have anything to contribute for Syndicate, but I'm excited to hear about it none the less. There have been a couple of episodes that got me interested in playing games that I'd written off as not my thing or not worth the time. I picked up enough general negativity around Val d'Isere for example that I probably never would have even bothered flashing it to my skunk to give it a try until this podcast, and now it's one of my go-to games to unwind with. Even for the games I don't end up getting in to, I still find the historical bits really interesting and worth the listen. Keep up the good work, and looking forward to that Jaguar CD coverage!

On a more personal note, when I say "working out" above, I really mean doing a bunch of very tedious stretches and resistance exercises prescribed by my physical therapist for a very minor but lingering hip injury. I hate doing this. I prefer to be out running, biking, or snowboarding to get my exercise, but I can't do any of that until I've recovered. Listening to the podcast while I go through the routine makes it a little more bearable. I'm nearing a full recovery now, and I probably couldn't have stuck to it as well as I did without that backlog of episodes, so thanks!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey @Shinto, as a heads up... something may be going on with your podcast on Stitcher ?

I couldn't find it using search within app. Had to specifically hunt it on Google. I can only view on Stitcher web not app. There's no ability to DL podcast for offline listening within app (vs stream) on web.

Anyone else running into this? Maybe just me?

Viewing here on web. 

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-atari-jaguar-game-by-game-podcast

Thanks for all the work. Going back to listen to the history on some of my favorites. 

Hi, @Jagosaurus!  Thanks for the heads-up.  I logged into my Stitcher podcast management page, and was presented with a new terms of service which I needed to accept.  Maybe that was the problem?  I don't see any listens since March, but again, it's not like I've published any new episodes recently.

• 1 month later...

Dang, looks like I never posted here about the availability of the Syndicate episode, all those many months ago.

But let us not dwell on dark PC ports when we've got the super-colorful Rayman coming up in the next episode.  What are your thoughts or memories about Jaguar Rayman, or really, any version of the original game?  I'm finally making some good progress on this episode, so I'm eying a feedback cutoff of December 10th.  Thank you so much for your patience.

• Like 4

I've been looking forward to this one. I think I shared some feedback via email several months ago, but I wanted to also point out the coverage of Rayman and its various ports in the Pandemonium Sega Saturn review series:

And the follow up on the 32x port:

In particular, he's usually pretty good about digging up minute differences between various ports of a given title, though generally focused on PS1 Vs. Saturn. Hope it helps in your research!

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2021 at 10:32 PM, Shinto said:

Dang, looks like I never posted here about the availability of the Syndicate episode, all those many months ago.

But let us not dwell on dark PC ports when we've got the super-colorful Rayman coming up in the next episode.  What are your thoughts or memories about Jaguar Rayman, or really, any version of the original game?  I'm finally making some good progress on this episode, so I'm eying a feedback cutoff of December 10th.  Thank you so much for your patience.

Since no mention of the episode yet I'll say:

I'm extremely proud as a Jaguar fan that Rayman is one of the mascots on the platform.   We might have few to choose from, but with Rayman alongside Bubsy, Zool, and Kid Kleets (Soccer Kid) you have some fun to be had there.

Rayman is honestly creative and fun for the first few levels and then cranks in crazy hard after about four levels in, and just gets ridiculous in later levels.   It's like they really thought out the first few levels quite well to introduce the player to the gameplay, and then not so much after the first few levels.  However, those early levels at least give the player the chance to understand the controls and give some training before throwing the player to the wolves.   This in contrast to Bubsy, as much as I love it, where the last developed levels were switch around with the early levels, so you were thrown to the wolves at the start and things kinda get easier mid game.

Overall, solid graphics, music, character design, and lots of content that I am still playing through after a decade or two.   If you are like me, you'll play a little bit, marvel at what Rayman shows the Jaguar could do, and then as the game starts to get frustrating set the game down for a year or so, and pick back up again later.   Overall worth getting as a showcase game.

111938492_ScreenShot2022-01-18at1_43_36AM.png.c6d76186ce0d7ad9d1b195b0706ccbbc.png

[A little fan art I did of a hack I've love to see of Atari Karts where all the mascots on the Jaguar Platform games could race against each other.   Here we have Rayman knocking Bubsy off the track while the Worms character is seen in third place, and Zool in fourth place.   I think in the end Zooz would give them all a run for their money.]

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:40 PM, RollOut said:

I just found this podcast today. Not sure what I was expecting, but you blew away my expectations. You present this stuff in a really entertaining way, and the production is awesome. Keep up the good work.

My favourite podcast has to be the Kasumi Ninja one. Shinto made a "parody" of the Mortal Kombat theme. It's funny.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

At long last, the Rayman episode is complete!  It's been over a year in the making, and is over four hours in the listening, but I hope you find it informative and entertaining and reasonably accurate.

Next up will be an out-of-sequence episode covering RetroHQ's Jaguar GameDrive, so if you have any thoughts you'd like to share in the episode, please post here, DM me, or e-mail jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.  Thank you as always for listening!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Shinto said:

At long last, the Rayman episode is complete!  It's been over a year in the making, and is over four hours in the listening, but I hope you find it informative and entertaining and reasonably accurate.

Next up will be an out-of-sequence episode covering RetroHQ's Jaguar GameDrive, so if you have any thoughts you'd like to share in the episode, please post here, DM me, or e-mail jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com.  Thank you as always for listening!

Eagerly anticipated. I'm actually excited for my Monday morning commute. Keep up the good work Shinto, you rock!

• Like 1

I've listened to the 1st hour of the podcast for Rayman. 

As usual it's excellent. 

However I'm going to have to disagree with him about him being so certain that the conspiracy theory where Sony paid off Ubisoft to withhold the jaguar version of Rayman in favor of the PlayStation version didn't happen.

I remember following Rayman in the magazines when it was rumor to be an exclusive title. It was announced being nearly complete and ready to ship when the Sony and Saturn versions were announced. as having been started. Then the Jag version disappeared from the media for better part of a year.  I never thought much about it.

I was introduced to the Rayman conspiracy theory around 2003 when I 1st got my own internet connection. I can't remember which website I've read it from one of the old websites that is no longer around now But among things were developer comments on the jaguar hardware what they liked about it. To my surprise I thought it would have been the blitter but instead what most did was praise the object processor for it's power. 

Here among the discussions was how Microsoft had paid off a company to withhold a racing game for the PSX until the Xbox version was ready. Then they remarked it serves Sony right for what they did to the Atari Jaguar in paying off Ubisoft to withhold Rayman.

We know that lowly Zoop was gimped graphically in favor of the PlayStation version. And though some argue the developer didn't know where that order came down from the only thing that makes sense is Sony orchestrating that. 

If they did that to Zoop which no one remembers, just imagine what Rayman ranked, a obviously huge franchise then and now. Someone will say Sony wouldn't have bothered because 2D wasn't their business model. Well ZOOP certainly didn't fit into their 3D business model and someone certainly made sure that one was gimped on the Jag in favor of the PlayStation version.

I believe the podcast mentions the developer saying something about they were fine tuning and fixing bugs in the Jag version that was a responsible for the delay.

1. I doubt anybody in that industry is going to confess to being bought off to hurt a smaller company. Yeah we can be bought. That's our integrity.

Or throw their HUGE business partner under the bus that they still do business with and announce that it practices monopolistic business dealings to hurt smaller businesses.

2. It's awfully curious the completion of the bug fixes and tune ups coincided right about the time that the Sony version was finished. Not 3 months before or 2 month afterwards. What a coincidence. 

3. The gameplay in the jag is different than the other 2 versions The obviously weren't being developed concurrently

Another insider:

Gorilla Jones

I was senior editor for a industry publication aimed at buyers, executives, developers. We also had a large distributor that handled the US and Europe. One of our subsidiaries had gaming and comic book stores that had the first PSX, NeoGeo units in the country. 

And Sony, Sony is the Yakuza of video games. If anybody knew the lengths that Sony goes to sabotage it's competition especially at the retail level your head would spin. I had a colleague who was one of the VPs of marketing for a major retailer, and he told me the inside info what Sony was paying to have misinformation about their competition spread Nationwide. But that's a story for another time.

When I put to him the rumor that Rayman for the Jag was held back due to Sony's deep pockets and it was even confirmed by the developer that lowly ZOOP for the Jag was told to be graphically gimped in favor of the PSX his response:

I need to stress again that Sony didn’t play by any rules. They were ruthless. They had a HUGE chip on their shoulder and were out to make everyone pay.

So would I ever say that the Rayman conspiracy definitely happened? Absolutely not. I don't know that. I will say that based on the evidence what I've heard and seen it's what most likely happened and no-one has told me anything that would swing the percentage of that likelihood in my mind the other way..

Edited by JagChris
  • Like 1