IGNORED

Atari Sid 5 released, 30 songs plus MADS source code

ivop

Hi all,

Here's the final release of Atari Sid 5. All sources have been converted to MADS and tidied up. I tried to use as many MADS features that were useful. The 'preview' sources should be considered obsolete(!). Thanks to Phaeron's 3 IRQ idea, it's a bit faster than version 4 (small gr. 3 screen on should now be possible). Thanks to Wrathchild, the envelope handling state machine has been removed and replaced by code. Some bugs that were present earlier are fixed. I have converted 30 songs and assembled the .xex files, which are attached in a separate ZIP-archive. My mind's a bit fuzzy atm, so I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something here :D

Regards,

Ivo

atarisid5-src.zip

atarisid5-xex.zip

• Like 15

Yes, great stuff indeed, one tune had a slight bum note which isn't an issue as depending which of the two sid chips you are emulating then some tunes will sound different.

When I said emulating I've not looked at the way you are doing it, are you emulating a chip or emulating the filters / sound generation?

Either way I loved them and its outstanding work, thank you..

Yes, great stuff indeed,When I said emulating I've not looked at the way you are doing it, are you emulating a chip or emulating the filters / sound generation?

I'm emulating the SID chip by playing three channels of samples, summed together, on a single volume-only Pokey channel (this is faster than three separate digi channels and only slightly degrades audio quality; see Atari Sid 4 thread for details). The replay rate is 15.6 kHz. Dynamic range is 24 dB (8dB per channel)[1].

Not emulated are SID filters, ring modulator, test bit, pink noise[2].

Lack of the ring modulator could well be the reason for the odd bum note. There are some hacks in place to filter those out (e.g. Cybernoid II and Master of Magic) but I probably missed a song or two.

The other reason could be the lack of pink noise emulation. The noise waveform is emulated by white noise and hence it has no frequency other than being cut-off at half the replay rate (7.8 kHz). The result is that noise-sweeps sound terrible, sometimes even mechanic. There are ideas to simulate these properly with pokey noise generators (like sid2gumby does), but nothing has materialised yet.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range#Audio

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colors_of_noise

Thanks Ivo, mostly way over my head but I understood enough to get the gist :)

But from what little I know and some reading re the numerous sid versions it makes emulation the chip quite awkward especially when it comes to the filters (which you have not emulated, seems if you had it was a minefield) and also the issue with new SIDs having issues with sample volume..

Here's a quote I saw re the differences in SID chip filters..

Yep, totally different. My personal preference of the 6581s is the R4, though. There can be huge differences between 6581's, even within the same revision. Some chips are louder than others, some sound fuller, some thinner, some have more abrupt filters... It's all very interesting and fun to test them! icon_smile.gif

By the way, the filter caps (even their material) affect the sound a lot, too...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi all,

Here's the final release of Atari Sid 5. All sources have been converted to MADS and tidied up. I tried to use as many MADS features that were useful. The 'preview' sources should be considered obsolete(!). Thanks to Phaeron's 3 IRQ idea, it's a bit faster than version 4 (small gr. 3 screen on should now be possible). Thanks to Wrathchild, the envelope handling state machine has been removed and replaced by code. Some bugs that were present earlier are fixed. I have converted 30 songs and assembled the .xex files, which are attached in a separate ZIP-archive. My mind's a bit fuzzy atm, so I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention something here :D

Regards,

Ivo

I have been listening to these, and trying exit gracefully but can not find a key press to quit back to DOS. SDX specifically Do these songs run to the end and then quit or is it looping continuously ..

But from what little I know and some reading re the numerous sid versions it makes emulation the chip quite awkward ...

Indeed. At the top of the source I wrote 6581, but I guess it's closer to the 8580 (e.g. waveform mixing capabilities).

I have been listening to these, and trying exit gracefully but can not find a key press to quit back to DOS. SDX specifically Do these songs run to the end and then quit or is it looping continuously ..

AS5 uses a lot of memory, starting at $0f00 up to (sometimes) $bbff, depending on the size of the C64 player routine. Also, it almost completely wipes page zero. Theoretically this could be saved somewhere, as could let's say up to $2000 to save DOS, but I just power-cycle :D

But I'll keep this in mind if I ever release a sixth version. It's not that hard to implement :)

• Like 2

Do you (or does anyone else) have any songs that were written for the C64-SID and then ported to the A8 for one of the "Atari-SID" type players? I think it would be neat to compare both (nearly) simultaneously. Admittedly, most of us would have to play the SID tunes on a C64 emulator, but from comparisons that I've heard in the past, the PC emulators of SID do a very faithful job. Or maybe someone could make a playable PC sound file (MP3, etc) of both that could be played?

-Larry

Here's the final release of Atari Sid 5.

Fascinating and outstanding stuff. Best SID emulation I came across so far on the A8.

It's a joy to listen to your demo songs. Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by twh/f2

But from what little I know and some reading re the numerous sid versions it makes emulation the chip quite awkward especially when it comes to the filters

The variations in the Sound of the different SID releases make it easier to create SID Sounds. Because there is no "SID sound" as such, just SID typical sound, you could do any noisy synth style and name it "Sid" sound.

Following that rule, you come to the naming problem, as SID uses POKEY sounds and POKEY was able to process such noisy synths many years before.

And, well, POKEY sound IS a unique definition ;)

This is just great. Small request: Please add auto-disabling BASIC to the XEX. They fail to load with BASIC enabled and that's pitty for such cool code.

> inc IRQEN

Why that?Does it effectively clear the IRQ (dummy read to $FF writing $00?) bit so no new IRQ is trigger after RTI?

Is it at all possible to do the George Feil Synth Sample thingy? The spacey tune, which is one of the few things I like about the C64. That's a really nice tune

Good Grief...

Particular "Synth Sample" would be a "standard" POKEY tune, if a tracker supported to program POKEY directly. No "SID - Digitizing" needed... other tuns would be much more complicated, as POKEY isn't able to play low notes in triangle waves...

Edited by emkay

I don't get what you mean? Was it a stupid question? If so, sorry, but as I said, that's the only thing that impresses me on the C64 and never heard the Atari do it. Or do you mean Atari can't do the bassy tune on the Feil song?

Which version ? You have around 10 different sounding SID revisions...

Synth sample is using "2 channels"

Look what SID puts out...

2 of those channels, POKEY could do using the own generators.

... no chance to create the "real filter" sine-formed low waves.

Only digitizing could go there , with some sampling noise...

There wasn't a stupid question. It's just the fact that no one cares about mixing both possibilities in a tracker...

Edited by emkay