IGNORED

Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?

Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?

• PS2
    • PS3

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

SOme of you will not admit it, but i'll say it for you. The PS2 is better than the PS2. No, it's not because the PS3 can play PS2 games, it just has the better game library. The PS2 was my third console I had(behind the Nes and PS1) and it will always be my favorite Sony console(well maybe the PS1 is, it's too hard to choose) but the PS3 is better. Pretty much for every game on the PS2, there is a game just as good if not better on the PS2. The only thing off the top of my head where this does not apply is for Crash Bandicoot, Okami, Resident Evil, Tony Hawk, and maybe Final Fantasy. Everything else like Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, Dynasty Warriors, Devil May Cry got better games on the PS3 console. So which do you like better, the PS2 or PS3?

Edited by TheObscureGamer

Tough call as to myself..GTA 3 and Vice City, along with Silent Hill 2 were the best installments in the series, bar none and i played them to death on PS2...also MGS3:Snake Eater was far superior to MGS 4, the Burnout series were far better on PS2 than Burnout Paradise..but then....

PS3 has been a superb multi-media device for myself, had some fantastic times online (Demon's/Dark Souls, Blur etc) with it where as PS2 i never took online, then there's PS3 Xcom, far better FPS on PS3 than PS2, (killzone series far better on PS3), plus Uncharted 1, 2, Dead Space, PSN games like Shatter etc....

Has to be PS3 for total hours spent on compared to PS2.

• Like 1

The PS2 library is far better in my honest opinion. Best driving games Like Gran Turismo 3 and 4, Burnout, Midnight Club, and wacky stunt games in Flatout 1 and 2. The Grand Theft Auto series is simply amazing. Vice City is my favorite game for the console. Love the 80's vibe and accuratley detailed it perfectly for life in 1986-1987. Max Payne 1 and 2 also to mention. Some of the best compilation games came out for it. Midway Arcade Treasures, Activision Antholgy, Atari Anthology, Capcom Classics, Namco Museum, Sega Genesis Collection, etc. I just like the variety of what was released for it.

As far as the console itself I would pick the PS2. Had far less headaches with it.

As far as games go it's hard to pick the PS3 over the PS2 but at this point today I think the PS3 might have the edge. A 'few' reasons:

- Tons of digital and indie games. Pac-Man CE DX, Journey, Dead Nation....

- Lots of PS2 ports (remasters): Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Ratchet & Clank, God of War 1 & 2 etc....

- I think all PS3's play PS1 games.

- Some PS3's play PS2 games and all of them can play PS2 digital copies from the store.

- They are still making games for it especially JRPG's.

- The Last of Us and Uncharted, nuff' said.

• Like 2

PS2. The combination of PS1 + PS2 games is very wide. Having all the arcade compilations (PS1 + PS2) on one system (although there are a couple PS1 arcade compilations that don't work on PS2) make it ONE system that plays a hell of a lot of games.

The Xbox (original) was quite good, but PS2 really dominated in that generation. It's been a toss-up with a stronger and more competitive Xbox (360 or one) in the later PS generations. But PS2 was on top of the world, it its time.

• Like 2

PS2 is a superior standalone console in almost every way. They seem to be getting worse though because I see no reason to trade my 60gig fat boy in for a ps4.. They won't even play media off a plash drive anymore. That's the "DVD drive" of 2015 and every $70 wal mart blu Ray player can do it..

• Like 1

I think I got your point with the typos.

My immediate reaction was to give me another decade as well, but since jrpgs are the the games that I more frequently play than others, the edge goes to the PS2. There are still many games that have not been ported or provided as a PS 2 classic. I don't count the fact that some PS3 consoles can play actual PS2 games because that feature was taken out, and the systems that had it tend to be problematic and are dying off.

That said, a well made rpg for the PS3 has visuals, etc that a PS2 game cannot have. Plus as someone else mentioned, there are lots of digital and unique indie games that are on the PS3.

One correction about PS4 and playing media..... a media player was released during E3, so it can play more formats, and supports DLNA now.

• 2 weeks later...

PS2 has Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colossus, and Spider-Man 2 so my vote goes to PS2, which doesn't seem fair since I never played a PS3 but since the PS2 has at least three games that are appealing to me it gets the internet trophy.

There is no need for an online connection with the PS 2 -- no firmware updates, no requirements to be online for a single-player game, no DRM!

i have 80+ PS3 games and none of them require online connectivity or DRM.

The PS3 plays all PS1 and most PS2 games, and can be hacked to emulate every console that preceded the PS1 as well.

PS3 with custom Firmware is hands down the best console ever released.

I'm gonna go with the PS2 as well- it's hard to argue with such a massive game library, and it had great ease of use going for it. The built-in DVD and ps1 functionality was amazing in its day, and still handy now. Plus, quite frankly, I like memory cards over internal RAM- it was simple to move saves to friend's consoles, and the number of files you had was only limited by the number of cards you could get.

The PS3 had 'nicer' games, but that's kind of to be expected- it's more powerful hardware, they can do more with it. It's just flat-out harder to use... you want to play a game? Ok, set up or log into your user profile, put in the game, go to the game icon on the menu, download the update (there's ALWAYS an update), boot up the game, tell it it's ok to save to the system... now you can play. Assuming you aren'y playing online, then you need to log into PSN. I hope you remember your password, because if you forget and the auto-login doesn't work, you'll have to go to your computer and hit the PSN website to fix it! This is all assuming you don't need to update the system itself- if so, you have to do that first. I'm not even going to get into the hoop-jumping for moving save files, assuming the system will even let you.

I know it sounds like I hate my PS3- I don't! It's got some damn good games on it, I love that it runs blu-rays and streams various internet videos (VERY handy during Desert Bus for Hope). Of all silly things, I love that it beeps when I press the power button- it kinda bugs me that my 360 doesn't! I just really wish, when I come home excited to play a new game, it didn't take 10-30 minutes to do it!

The PS2 library is shockingly massive. Its easy to name duds for it but it has more good to great games than most systems have total libraries. To me it is one of the best systems ever made and in the coming years I have no doubt it'll be a major focus of collectors.