IGNORED

Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?

Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better console, the PS2 or PS3?

• PS2
    • PS3

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The PS2 library is shockingly massive. Its easy to name duds for it but it has more good to great games than most systems have total libraries. To me it is one of the best systems ever made and in the coming years I have no doubt it'll be a major focus of collectors.

With the exception of a few really rare games, if one were to collect, now is the time to get started. There isn't a huge problem in finding what you want... some games more than others, but it is nothing like trying to build a game cube collection.....

With the exception of a few really rare games, if one were to collect, now is the time to get started. There isn't a huge problem in finding what you want... some games more than others, but it is nothing like trying to build a game cube collection.....

Are you referring to buying from eBay and other online sources? Around here, the PS 2 has been dead at retail for about the past five years. There are the usual sports games and some shovelware at thrift shops, but it has been at least two years since I added anything to my collection.

I bought my PS 2 in 2007, just as retail support was starting to fade, and I was still able to find tons of games at retail, often at clearance prices. Those days are, sadly, long past.

Are you referring to buying from eBay and other online sources? Around here, the PS 2 has been dead at retail for about the past five years. There are the usual sports games and some shovelware at thrift shops, but it has been at least two years since I added anything to my collection.

I bought my PS 2 in 2007, just as retail support was starting to fade, and I was still able to find tons of games at retail, often at clearance prices. Those days are, sadly, long past.

I am referring to our chain of retro stores... of course, the PS2 has been dead at Gamestop for quite some time (not before they threw out all of those cases and instructions... grrr.....). Generally these games are used, but some of the common stuff can still be found sealed. Sure, there are some expensive role playing games and if you have kept your Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater Premium Package sealed, that is worth a lot. But many titles are still within reach.

I seem to have been collecting some arcade collections that haven't seen the light of day since then or not completely with the 7th generation of consoles.

No... nothing good to be found at our thrifts... all old sports and guitar hero, etc. Sometimes I am tempted to get one if the case is in really good shape just to reuse the case for another game.

Wal-Mart here still isn't quite done with the PS2. Still stocking a few titles like the GTA trilogy.

I bought a brand new PS2 after searching for a few months when suddenly they were restocked out of the blue, at my local Wal-Mart well within the past five years. Shipments of the system seemed to end in 2011 and I bought this console, which I've kept stored as a spare, in late winter of 2012.

So less than two and a half years ago, at a mainstream retailer.

Edited by Atariboy

Those were for international markets, judging by reports that I saw.

Most places, online and at retail that I visited in the Fall of 2011 hadn't gotten any shipments in for months, which matches that to a tee. So it was quite a surprise to come across one last PS2, which I snapped up, in early 2012. Never saw another, although they remained available at or near MSRP on Amazon afterwards.

They might still be easy to get NIB there at a fair price, although I haven't had need to look.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Not too bad for a console that never dropped below $129.99 for MSRP, considering the amount of time that has passed.

Usually at this point, if you want new console hardware at this late date, you're really going to pay for it if you can even find one to buy.

Those were for international markets, judging by reports that I saw.

That's where I live, see my location.^^

I could still get some left over PS2 consoles in a few electronic markets last year, and definitely some games even today. Haven't looked for systems in a while though. 2012 it was still very easy in Germany.

I remember in 2008 it was sold nationwide at the huge German discounter Aldi for 77€ (less than 90$). Quite the run on it back then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find this question incredibly hard to answer. Both consoles have a massive and really good games library. I don't have a PS3, I have an xbox 360, that I got because of the japanese Scrolling spaceship shooters.

I would give the PS2 the edge only for the reason that the Retro games are available on physical release, where on the PS3/x360 many of the great games can only be purchased digital. But to be sincere any of them could be my only gaming System for the rest of my life. The libraries are just overwhelming.

BTW, anyone who hasn't already they should start their PS2 collection ASAP, and anyone with a brain should be looking at a PS3 or xbox 360 right now. The deals are out there, and even if the PS3 is the platform for a ton of utter garbage that destroyed the AAA market it still has a huge ammount of amazing good games.

That is a good point about the physical release for retro games on the PS2. My collection of those has been growing as they are easy to find and generally cheap in the used game stores around here.

Another good point about starting a PS3 or 360 collection sooner rather than later. Used game stores are filled to the brim with games for these systems. Unless there is a major platform difference, I generally lean towards the PS3 version as it is easier to find discs in good condition; the hard coat on a Blu-ray is harder to damage.

All of that said, while there will be exceptions, I would lean towards only collecting things for these systems that you want to play (just my opinion). While there are exceptions, I don't think many of the games will quite as collectible as older Nintendo stuff (though I think once all of the nostalgia feelings wear off there... that bubble may burst someday).

There's very little on the PS2 that will lose functionality over the next decade, or relies on some type of online service. If we aren't going to get into comparing specific games, I'd say PS2 by virtue of its huge library and compatibility.

Plus, if it breaks, you buy another PS2. You're not dealing with Hard drive swapping and blu ray replacements and PSN sign ins.

• Like 1

It's getting pretty scary .Hack part 4 and some of the GU versions are going for some bucks now. Even the wireless Logitech controllers are up there.

Thankfully I bought all the .Hack games when they came out. I got into GU later on and had a bitch of a time finding part 3. I can't imagine what it goes for now.

Thankfully I bought all the .Hack games when they came out. I got into GU later on and had a bitch of a time finding part 3. I can't imagine what it goes for now.

This is sort of like the reverse of me. When the original .hack came out, I didn't have a PS2 yet. By the time I got one, prices for them were already more than I was willing to pay. That's partly the reason why I bought the G.U. series, within a few months of each volume's release, sort of to make up for having missed out on the original--and, well, also because Toys 'R Us sold me their only copy of Vol. 1: Rebirth for $10.

It would be very, very nice if Bandai Namco did an HD remaster collection of .hack. But, if they aren't even doing one for Xenosaga, that seems highly unlikely.

Incidentally, I managed to get my copy of Vol. 3: Redemption signed by Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Haseo, who's on the cover) a few years back.

Damn...I only have part 1 and 2. I had a chance to own all of them years ago but thought "I'll wait".

Are you talking about the original .hack here or G.U.? . . . Or both?

onmode-ky

• Like 1

This is sort of like the reverse of me. When the original .hack came out, I didn't have a PS2 yet. By the time I got one, prices for them were already more than I was willing to pay. That's partly the reason why I bought the G.U. series, within a few months of each volume's release, sort of to make up for having missed out on the original--and, well, also because Toys 'R Us sold me their only copy of Vol. 1: Rebirth for $10.

It would be very, very nice if Bandai Namco did an HD remaster collection of .hack. But, if they aren't even doing one for Xenosaga, that seems highly unlikely.

Incidentally, I managed to get my copy of Vol. 3: Redemption signed by Yuri Lowenthal (voice of Haseo, who's on the cover) a few years back.

Are you talking about the original .hack here or G.U.? . . . Or both?

onmode-ky

Keep that signed one around!

I only have the original series not G.U. although both are going for a bit of money. I noticed the G.U. series is basically the first three games.

Playstation 2 vote. I have a slim that still works perfectly, and keep finding "free" (yes, free) games in the wild, mostly at the swap shops for books. People bring those in to get rid of, apparently, and I took a few the other day which included Shadow of Colosseus. I think that was a pretty nice find. So for simplicity and the vast library of games, PS2 is the way to go.

• 10 months later...

Playstation 2 has more games then playstation 3 but ps3 has mortal kombat arcade and ps2 as mortal kombat trilogy and ps2 has atari anthology and ps3 don't have but ps4 does have atari and they been bring some ps2 games on ps3 would be nice if they put atari anthology in ps3 store and then i would buy it for sure.

I prefer a PS3 for the graphics quality of games (plus plenty of remasters), but a PS2 emulated and upgraded to 1080p on PC is amazing.

In fact many of the Playstation 3D games (of any generation) really benefit from emulation on a modern desktop. I missed a big part of the PS2 library (I had a Gamecube) so plenty of stuff to rediscover.