IGNORED

Received my Commodore 64 Ultimate II!

I just wanted to share my excitement over the C64 Ultimate 2. I created a video overview of it here:

I do not know everything about it, but I do know this is a great device and it's been a lot of fun learning about it.

I had too hard of a time getting one of those, so I opted for one of these:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/01/uk1541-latest-c64c128-product-but-is-it.html I saw these on www.amibay.com before they were released, and thought they were a good alternative then. These also work with a C-128 with no problems.

Your link didn't work.

I take it this page, relating to the UK1541 is where you intended to send us?

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/01/uk1541-latest-c64c128-product-but-is-it.html

Looks interesting but the developer comes across as arrogant, branding it as an "Ultimate Killer".

Edited by UKRetrogamer

Your link didn't work.

I take it this page, relating to the UK1541 is where you intended to send us?

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/01/uk1541-latest-c64c128-product-but-is-it.html

Looks interesting but the developer comes across as arrogant, branding it as an "Ultimate Killer".

The link worked when pulled it up just before posting it. Here's another that will work: http://www.retrocollect.com/News/sd-card-loading-uk1541-adapter-announced-for-commodore-64.html

The UK1541 adapter sort of looks like the "Chip" computer that made the news a few weeks ago, but it look like it has a nice built in lcd display and remote.

There is also another device which can be found on ebay called the sd2iec. What I like really about that one is that is sort of looks like a miniature old 1541/71 floppy drive. I use and highly recommend the vice emulator, but I prefer to use real hardware when feasible. It sort of transports me back to the mid 80's.

The UK1541 adapter sort of looks like the "Chip" computer that made the news a few weeks ago, but it look like it has a nice built in lcd display and remote.

There is also another device which can be found on ebay called the sd2iec. What I like really about that one is that is sort of looks like a miniature old 1541/71 floppy drive. I use and highly recommend the vice emulator, but I prefer to use real hardware when feasible. It sort of transports me back to the mid 80's.

I am familiar with the sd2iec. Almost bought one for Jim Brain (a very good, hinest source of 8 bit devices). http://store.go4retro.com/uiec-sd/

But since I couldn't get a ultimate 1541 II for months, I went ahaed and got the UK 1541. We really do have a lot neat hardware today. It sure changes the way we all use our 8 bit machines, for the better.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I love the thing. Best device I ever bought for my C64 aside from my EasyFlash3 cart, which I also enjoy. The only thing I've had issues with is trying to get JiffyDOS to work as a kernel replacement on my original breadbin C64 (all I can get is garbage colored text on my screen). It works fine on my C64C model.

It appears not to be a problem with either the 1541 Ultimate II, not the breadbin C64. JiffyDOS works fine on my C64C using the U2, and it also works fine on my breadbin C64 using the EasyFlash3 cart. Just a weird problem that I've not quite sorted out yet. I've also had problems trying to run 8k game cartridges as well, although from what I'm seeing posted on the 1541 forums, that appears to be a known bug that may/may not get fixed in the 3.0 firmware update. Hopefully it does.

I ABSOLUTELY love this thing. It's the greatest thing to happen to the C64, and it's kind of like a minor miracle. It's not cheap, but it's worth every penny!

For "icing on the cake," I recommend this shortened IEC cable from Ebay.....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2609612035051?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=260961203505&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

.....which makes for a tidy cable solution. I just love this stuff!!!! The 1541U is the best way to enjoy the C64!

• Like 1

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and I love the thing. Best device I ever bought for my C64 aside from my EasyFlash3 cart, which I also enjoy. The only thing I've had issues with is trying to get JiffyDOS to work as a kernel replacement on my original breadbin C64 (all I can get is garbage colored text on my screen). It works fine on my C64C model.

ISTR the 64C JiffyDOS is in a single ROM (as both BASIC and Kernal ROM are in one package,) whereas the bread-bin C64 has TWO ROMs. Maybe that is your problem?

ISTR the 64C JiffyDOS is in a single ROM (as both BASIC and Kernal ROM are in one package,) whereas the bread-bin C64 has TWO ROMs. Maybe that is your problem?

I suppose that could be it. I've only ever seen the one ROM though (8k in size), and that's the image I've been using on both the U2 as well as the EasyFlash3. But, if that's the case, would I not have the same trouble with using JiffyDOS with my EasyFlash3 as well?

If you have any suggestions of things that I might try, I'm certainly open to ideas. I'm on my way home from a family vacation and will be there tonight, so I could certainly give it a test to see.

Apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but you have both the 8k jiffy dos rom bin AND the jiffy dos 1541 16 k bin on the SD card right? You need both of course to get it to work if you are just using the internal drives of the 1541U2. I think it was stated you should be using the jiffy dos 1541II rom on it.

Apologize if I'm stating the obvious, but you have both the 8k jiffy dos rom bin AND the jiffy dos 1541 16 k bin on the SD card right? You need both of course to get it to work if you are just using the internal drives of the 1541U2. I think it was stated you should be using the jiffy dos 1541II rom on it.

Yes, that is correct. And the JiffyDOS binary for the 1541 works fine (actually it's for the 1541-II, but I digress). It's only the C64 image that gives me issues.

Hmm, OK. I've got a breadbin I use mine with but it's a newer breadbin version. Have not had an issue like that and I run mine without a real drive and just the 2 jiffydos bin's on the SD card.

I'm fairly certain mine may be one of the older revisions, but not the very earliest version of the breadbin. It is a very peculiar problem. I've checked absolutely everything I know in the configuration, and have even adjusted the Phi2 settings to no avail. And yet on the EF3, everything is great. So I don't understand.

Hey everyone, I want to mention I ran into a minor issue with my C64 Ultimate 2. It stopped working, sort of. I hadn't powered it on for about a week then when I did, I got nothing. No lights and a screeching sound on the monitor. I am running it on a c64c and was perplexed. Actually just short of panicked. I plugged in an omega race cartridge and it worked just fine.

Long story short, I think I have figured it out. I swapped power supplies with a regular c64 I have and it now it works just fine. I guess my old gray colored power supply that came with the c64c is not quite functioning properly or maybe not providing the correct voltage. Also it was plugged into a decent power strip which was powered on all this time. I recommend either unplugging the old console/computer from power or power off the power strip it is plugged into when they are not in use.

Hey everyone, I want to mention I ran into a minor issue with my C64 Ultimate 2. It stopped working, sort of. I hadn't powered it on for about a week then when I did, I got nothing. No lights and a screeching sound on the monitor. I am running it on a c64c and was perplexed. Actually just short of panicked. I plugged in an omega race cartridge and it worked just fine.

Long story short, I think I have figured it out. I swapped power supplies with a regular c64 I have and it now it works just fine. I guess my old gray colored power supply that came with the c64c is not quite functioning properly or maybe not providing the correct voltage. Also it was plugged into a decent power strip which was powered on all this time. I recommend either unplugging the old console/computer from power or power off the power strip it is plugged into when they are not in use.

As a rule of thumb, I tend to always do that with my older computers and consoles. After all, these things do have a bit of age on them, and you never know when the original power supplies may decide to kick the bucket and take whatever they're plugged into with them (assuming you're using the original power supplies).

It's my understanding that the original C64 brick power supplies are prone to failure, and can cause quite serious damage to the C64 if and when that does happen. I know there is a safety device that Ray Carlsen makes that you can plug in between the power supply and the C64 itself that, in the event of a condition that would be dangerous for the C64, it will kill the power from it and protect it. He also makes new power supplies for various Commodore computers and disk drives that use modern parts and are safer to operate than the older original ones.

• Like 1

As a rule of thumb, I tend to always do that with my older computers and consoles. After all, these things do have a bit of age on them, and you never know when the original power supplies may decide to kick the bucket and take whatever they're plugged into with them (assuming you're using the original power supplies).

It's my understanding that the original C64 brick power supplies are prone to failure, and can cause quite serious damage to the C64 if and when that does happen. I know there is a safety device that Ray Carlsen makes that you can plug in between the power supply and the C64 itself that, in the event of a condition that would be dangerous for the C64, it will kill the power from it and protect it. He also makes new power supplies for various Commodore computers and disk drives that use modern parts and are safer to operate than the older original ones.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I will now be on the hunt for one of these savers....

• 2 weeks later...

Several posters have mentioned they use Vice. Even though I have much respect for Gropaz, I do not like, or use Vice. I have had the real hardware ever since 1983, so I saw no reason to use Vice. Vice does not do everything a real C-64/1541 setup can do, and Vice does not do several things correctly. Beside, with Vice, were do plug in your Ultimate 1541 II ?

I will say that I now rather like the UK1541. It works quite well. I would still like to have a Ultimate 1541 II, if I can ever find one.

Just wanted to add that I have this too and it's the best thing I've bought for the C64. Its kind of hard to get, basically waiting in line to get one shipped once you reserve it but its great. Took me a little while to figure out how to use it since the instruction sheet I got with it was hard to read but once you figure out what button does what etc. its easy. Nice video, there weren't many out there at all when I got mine years ago.

By the way is that shell easy to replace on the C64? I got a blue one from the Kickstarter but haven't tried it yet.

Just wanted to add that I have this too and it's the best thing I've bought for the C64. Its kind of hard to get, basically waiting in line to get one shipped once you reserve it but its great. Took me a little while to figure out how to use it since the instruction sheet I got with it was hard to read but once you figure out what button does what etc. its easy. Nice video, there weren't many out there at all when I got mine years ago.

By the way is that shell easy to replace on the C64? I got a blue one from the Kickstarter but haven't tried it yet.

It was the first time I opened up a C64, so I took my time with it and it actually was not that difficult. I was considering buying some replacement keys from the indigogo, but dreaded the thought of popping off all the keys and decided that white on top of red looks just fine.

• Like 1

I have had the real hardware ever since 1983, so I saw no reason to use Vice.

Tomorrow i'll be sitting on a bus for nearly seven hours straight and plan to spend at least some of that time writing C64 code... that's a bit hard to do with a real C64 even with a 1541U2 and a TFT display! But it's far more convenient generally when downloading disk images to throw them at VICE for a quick test and, as a coder, being able to cross assemble and test on it is wonderful; my last couple of projects used most of the available memory, writing programs that large with a native assembler would have been far more time consuming and prone to issues.

Vice does not do everything a real C-64/1541 setup can do, and Vice does not do several things correctly.

i'm not aware of any major problems on that front these days (there are a few "edge conditions" i've tripped over personally but it's usually demo-style abuse of VIC-II registers), what issues are you referring to?

Beside, with Vice, were do plug in your Ultimate 1541 II ?

VICE can do all the things an average 1541U2 user needs such as mount disk, cassette or cartridge images, juggle a 16Mb RAM expansion and populate it with an REU file...

• Like 3