IGNORED

Anybody know the guy that made the Fat Albert Hack?

Crazy Climber

This looks like stupid fun. I'd be interested in a cart if it actually happens and the price is reasonable.

That was my only concern with Neo taking it over. No offense to him, he makes great quality and highly collectable products but LOOSE Hunger Shark cartridges were $46.50!!

I get that was a limited edition thing and an actual homebrew (not a hack) but this is something I was looking to spend 20ish MAX on :) Especially since the public opinion seems to be cool with me having a repro made without asking any permission I am sure plenty of people can slap a cart together for me of the existing ROM for a twenty spot :)

I don't have the cash I used to...have to be a little thrifty with the hobbies these days :)

You are gonna make a boxed release of a hack on which you changed 2 sprites? I noticed you didn't share the ROM.

I make things for myself and if other people want it then I make it available. I changed a little more then just a few sprites.

When I said "I hope to have a small release for my version also.", I meant some type of boxed version. I have no problem with you using the updated BIN for a cartridge only release.

Here is the latest version.

Fat Albert food items:

Coke

Hamburger

French Fries

Pizza

Ice Cream Cone

Coffee

Pineapple Cake

Pudding Pop

Astro Pop

Banana

Cherry

Roasted Pig

Edited by neotokeo2001

I was not talking about butt hurt, I just want to make sure CC is getting the best hack, without having to resort to bidding on copy #1 of 5 on ebay.

:-D

I have not tested it on real hardware so I don't know if I screwed anything up yet. Voice would be cool but I don't know how to do that.

If anyone sees any issues just post them here.

Here is the latest BIN:

Fat Albert release ver 2.bin

Edited by neotokeo2001
  • Like 1

I'm "out" on the Neo version now that I know it's going to be a limited edition boxed thing. No offense of course as you make great stuff but $80+ for dogs and better looking french fries is just not a purchase I can justify, lol. You got me on Stranglehold as it is an original Homebrew and I like Dee snider, I was also down for Sharknado, another original homebrew (not to mention a game for the best movie ever!) until it was cancelled :( but the fancy/expensive treatment on Fat Albert, a hack I mainly plan on getting a laugh out of with my non atari collecting friends is not worth the price of admission (ahhh, the hours we wasted in an inebriated state saying "frasm grasm" and "Jello pudding pops" in our best Cosby voices back in the day...)

I know you don't care since you just make games for yourself/etc but I'm hoping there is still enough interest in the regular version to get CPUWIZ to make us some carts :) He's a busy guy and well, 10+ carts would get his attention more than 1 cart :)

The original hack I can buy right now for $11 shipped...but I do not like the quality of labels and the community does not care for some of the practices (aka stealing) from this individual (although I would bet he has full permission to make this one, even though that is a moot point as discussed earlier, lol) so I prefer to purchase it elsewhere :)

I'm in for a CPUWIZ version, the original hack is fine. I like Yojimbo's Telesys style label a lot :) I would pay extra for a Telesys case also....if the world has recovered from the bouncing baby bunnies reaping of course :)

• Like 2

Well this was completed at light speed.

I did some sample tests.

One is Cosby from saying Game Is Over shortened to Game Over.

Other one is Hey, Hey, Hey.

Thing is the source is 4K.

To make it 8K bank switched you need to add compiler header and footer that I had Omegamatrix do for me for my DrWho Berzerk.

We quickly went from 8K to 32K.

I can eventually figure it out, but searching for bank switch Atari 2600 templates turns up nothing.

Is sample playing on a black screen followed by the graphic moving down the screen worth waiting for, or is it too complicated a gimmick?

Note: The quality can improve if it is just these 2 samples. This bitrate of 3930 is at the bottom of acceptable quality.

FAGameHey4.bin

FAGameOverSampleALT.bin

I'm "out" on the Neo version now that I know it's going to be a limited edition boxed thing. No offense of course as you make great stuff but $80+ for dogs and better looking french fries is just not a purchase I can justify, lol. You got me on Stranglehold as it is an original Homebrew and I like Dee snider, I was also down for Sharknado, another original homebrew (not to mention a game for the best movie ever!) until it was cancelled :( but the fancy/expensive treatment on Fat Albert, a hack I mainly plan on getting a laugh out of with my non atari collecting friends is not worth the price of admission (ahhh, the hours we wasted in an inebriated state saying "frasm grasm" and "Jello pudding pops" in our best Cosby voices back in the day...)

I was thinking under $30 for a boxed version.

• Like 1

Well this was completed at light speed.

I did some sample tests.

One is Cosby from saying Game Is Over shortened to Game Over.

Other one is Hey, Hey, Hey.

Thing is the source is 4K.

To make it 8K bank switched you need to add compiler header and footer that I had Omegamatrix do for me for my DrWho Berzerk.

We quickly went from 8K to 32K.

I can eventually figure it out, but searching for bank switch Atari 2600 templates turns up nothing.

Is sample playing on a black screen followed by the graphic moving down the screen worth waiting for, or is it too complicated a gimmick?

Note: The quality can improve if it is just these 2 samples. This bitrate of 3930 is at the bottom of acceptable quality.

They both sound great!! I think these two samples alone would be enough.

I don't think the pause for speech before the graphic would be too bad. It won't affect game play so it should be fine. If you can add the voice I will wait as long as it takes before having cartridges made.

They both sound great!! I think these two samples alone would be enough.

I don't think the pause for speech before the graphic would be too bad. It won't affect game play so it should be fine. If you can add the voice I will wait as long as it takes before having cartridges made.

So it would be something like this?

• Like 2

So it would be something like this?

(above)

Yes. Exactly.

Would someone like to volunteer to put the source code into an 8K or 16K assembly file format?

I just tried, and since the source is 4K from distella, it is not as easy as adding a header and footer like I thought...