IGNORED

Need help!Atari 2600 problems

jayc500

Hello, I bought my first atari 2600 about 2 weeks ago and The picture is good but the sound is scratchy.It also has one controller port not working. I've heard people say the capacitors are probably shot and need to solder new ones.I can solder but, I think that's a little out of my skill range. Is there somewhere or someone I can send this to for repair? Or the other option is the flea market said they would refund my money. Just not sure what to do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The two silvery-clear plastic ones side by side are your sound caps. They cost about 25 cents each.

is that for a "heavy sixer" ? I'm having a couple sound issues , like the bass responce dropped out while playing Space Invaders for example ?

... jayc500 .... what model 2600 do you have , there were a few different types

http://atariage.com/2600/archives/consoles.html

also does controller work on other port & what game specifically are you trying .... "missile command" a good game both to play & test joysticks with ( if you have it )

is that for a "heavy sixer" ? I'm having a couple sound issues , like the bass responce dropped out while playing Space Invaders for example ?

That is from a Sunnyvale light 6er, but the sound caps are the same in all models of 2600, 5200, and some others. Try pushing down on them to squeeze them against the board while game is running. if sound improves, caps are bad.

you can solder it my friend - trust yourself and try it

And he is right about the caps - just push down on them with a little force until they begin to move

Don't go investing in no Hakko 808 :P just get some 'solder wick' to remove the old solder and pull the cap out and replace it should you choose to do it yourself

aliexpress has cap replacement kits for various systems if you don't know what to order but you pay more then the above quote

As for the controller port (on the cheap) I have sometimes had luck by having the controller port facing me and press the soldering iron on each pin of the joystick stick port - pushing 'away from me' until you hear the quiet 'click' of the wire completely breaking free and then give it a tiny little dab of solder and let cool - otherwise you have to remove and replace it if this doesn't work

On that note anyone have a link wear to get cheap replacement joystick ports? I've run out of dead consoles to rob from

Edited by Bodyshots

you can solder it my friend - trust yourself and try it

And he is right about the caps - just push down on them with a little force until they begin to move

Don't go investing in no Hakko 808 :P just get some 'solder wick' to remove the old solder and pull the cap out and replace it should you choose to do it yourself

aliexpress has cap replacement kits for various systems if you don't know what to order but you pay more then the above quote

Hey now, I love my Hakko 808!

But then again, I bought it to do more than just replace a couple tiny caps on a light sixer. ;)

I also gotta say, a solder pump/"solder sucker" works a LOT better than solder with for cleaning out mounting holes. Here's how I remove a component:

1. Grab one leg of the component you're moving with needle nose pliers or long tweezers.

2. Apply the iron (say, 400ºC/750ºF or so) to the solder on that leg of the component. The solder should melt in about 2-3 seconds. As soon as that old solder flashes silver you'll know it's melted.

3. While the solder is melted, lift the leg of the component out and away from the board.

4. Repeat for the other leg

5. Go back to the first hole; get your solder pump handy and ready to go.

6. Melt the leftover solder in that hole

7. As soon as it melts again, move the iron out of the way, cover the melted solder with the pump and suck it away. You may have to repeat this part a few times to remove all the old older but it won't take long before the mounting hole is clean and ready for the new part

8. Repeat for the other mounting hole.

Really, it takes longer to explain than to do it. Just be sure not to hold the iron against the mounting point too long while removing old solder or you might damage the pad. But a couple seconds at a time, with a few seconds in between while you use the solder pump and then reset it, shouldn't hurt anything.