IGNORED

Low RAM games.

Looking for some games that don't require too much memory too run. I have a 600XL and no RAM upgrade for it yet, so just have the basic 16K. I found a version of Flappy Bird that was real good. Any ideas? Try searching basic programs in old magazines maybe?

Thanks.
-sirhempanite89

Do yourself a favour and try and get it to 64K asap, the wealth of stuff out there is just sitting almost next to you, and trust me I know about not having spare money etc but the rarer the upgrade pack gets the more expensive it will be. BEST have them for 59.95 (US).

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800xl.htm

Worth every penny as it opens the door to so much goodness...

It would be helpful if you could say how you loaded 'flappy birds'. I guess a sio2pc or ape adapter.

With only 16k, you can't really load a DOS with BASIC on.

Hold OPTION when booting to disable BASIC.

Use a menu boot loader disk with the game you put on it, maybe using an emulator like Altirra.

Here's a menu disk with some games that probably won't work. Erase those games and put

the game you want to try on it. I think you have to use games with 120 single density sectors or less.

Magazine BASIC games won't work so well, you have little RAM usable with BASIC enabled.

I just checked. You have about 13,000 bytes available with BASIC enabled. So, I guess you

might be able to run some BASIC games. This is using Altirra to test with.

MENUDISK.ATR

Edited by russg

It would be helpful if you could say how you loaded 'flappy birds'. I guess a sio2pc or ape adapter.

With only 16k, you can't really load a DOS with BASIC on.

Hold OPTION when booting to disable BASIC.

Use a menu boot loader disk with the game you put on it, maybe using an emulator like Altirra.

Here's a menu disk with some games that probably won't work. Erase those games and put

the game you want to try on it. I think you have to use games with 120 single density sectors or less.

Magazine BASIC games won't work so well, you have little RAM usable with BASIC enabled.

I just checked. You have about 13,000 bytes available with BASIC enabled. So, I guess you

might be able to run some BASIC games. This is using Altirra to test with.

Well,

when someone has only 16k RAM available, he should use a tape or some kind of tape-emulation. This gives you free RAM from approx. $0400 to 3FFF. And errrm, in german magazines there were quite some type-in Basic programs for 16k machines - and most of these did only load from tape (overwriting any DOS or GameDOS)...

However, there is a program from Antic or Analog, named "Seq-DOS", which means sequential DOS. This program emulates Basic tape programs while loading from disk; you boot the disk with the special loader and then type CLOAD - and as said before, the program loads sequentially from disk. Think there is also Bas2Boot by Jindroush which should boot/load a lot of Basic programs from disk, even on a 16k machine, since no DOS or Gamedos is present (but I never tested Seq-DOS or Bas2Boot on a 16k machine, since I do not have one; my first A8 was an 800XL with 64k RAM)...

Anyways, I would upgrade to 64k RAM asap.

dodge em and space invaders. hmm. been down that road. do the 15 dollar 64kb mod and if you dont break the legs from your logic chips when bending to solder it will go well. Will 64kb you can play almost everything. I tried a few games that needed higher ram than that but they required a "upgraded" pal antic..

Only reason to get the 1064 Ram module would be collectable value, otherwise spend the next to $0 and 30 minutes work to do the internal 64K upgrade.

Practically all the older Synapse games were for 16K machines, but almost all had XL compatability issues, some could be overcome by holding Start when the game finished loading.

Slime used to crash at certain points though, I think it might have needed 32K anyway.

Many of the English Software early titles were for 16K.

But realistically, excluding cartridges there'd be lucky to be more than a couple of dozen games worth playing that work in 16K. Almost all the good stuff needs 48K or better.