IGNORED

Parker Brothers Reproduction Labels for sale peel and stick

Age-of-Atarius

Dear ProperRogue, obviously you didn't even read the auction. And let me quote directly from the auction site.

This is the only page I made with the rare uncommon tittles. I won't be remaking Mr. Do's Castle or Q*bert's Qubes again. I want those rarer titles to retain their original condition. Those very hard to find games should show some age and patina to keep the value high so this is a one shot auction.

Dear ProperRogue, obviously you didn't even read the auction. And let me quote directly from the auction site.

This is the only page I made with the rare uncommon tittles. I won't be remaking Mr. Do's Castle or Q*bert's Qubes again. I want those rarer titles to retain their original condition. Those very hard to find games should show some age and patina to keep the value high so this is a one shot auction.

Pull the auction and toss the page then.

• Like 4

I did read the auction, which in turn, is why I made the above comment. In post #1 you displayed a collection of Parker Brothers labels and made it a point to reference those two games(Mr. Do's Castle & Q*bert's Qubes) wouldn't have labels created due to their rarity. You even cleverly decided not to add that page of labels to your showcase, with many of us here being none the wiser.

Then, seeing them posted on eBay... it just seemed a little, oh I don't know..... what's the word I'm trying to think of???

The funny part though... is asking other members to aid your quest in finding high quality scans all while you're turning a profit from the sale of the label.

Did you really not see anything wrong with that?

I don't know how much profit he'll make doing this supplying his own paper and ink, electricity, time, etc. I think some people have a problem with the idea that others are trying to make a little money. When I first modified the giant list to add labels to distinguish each variation, I got blasted by some because I wanted to identify the variations I was selling on my website. Ignore the thousands of hours put into the whole thing, but if I make a few dollars, holler at me. I cancelled the website because I didn't have time nor access to my loose games so it was more of a pain to maintain it. If I ever get organized again, I'll be posting the games via variation numbering and lettering and trying to make a few dollars again. If you don't like the guy's product, don't buy from him. I think some of you just like hearing yourselves rant in public. If you had a beef with his stuff, then you could have just pm'd him. Instead you get to see your rant in "lights" on a forum page. WOOHOO.

Phil

Agree'd. Who cares if repro labels are being sold? The labels do say repro, and based on the screenshots they seem pretty easy to distinguish from the real thing. There is a market for real cartridges with repro labels.

Sucks that it might take more than a slight glance to ID a cart with an original label, but this is hardly a cause for alarm.

Well, Shawn. You mention that someone made labels 10 years ago. What would stop someone from printing those nice labels like the Mr. Do's Castle and sticking it on a Frogger cart like CPU just mentioned. I've been against repro labels from the get go unless they are marked as such. Anyone can be shady. They'll just say it wasn't tested. That is why either you buy from a reputable seller, one who takes back items, or make sure you're under the Ebay/Paypal buyer protection when purchasing. If anyone is selling anything repro under false pretenses, then it is up to the community to report the items to Ebay and say they are selling false items. It's somewhere on the right side above the description, link says REPORT ITEM. I like sellers who feign ignorance. I think it's Happiestseller that is popping off all these repro carts of R9 and R10 games for over $100 each and putting in the description, these may be repros from the late 1980s. This is the most idiotic seller ever.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 2

Well, Shawn. You mention that someone made labels 10 years ago. What would stop someone from printing those nice labels like the Mr. Do's Castle and sticking it on a Frogger cart like CPU just mentioned. I've been against repro labels from the get go unless they are marked as such. Anyone can be shady. They'll just say it wasn't tested. That is why either you buy from a reputable seller, one who takes back items, or make sure you're under the Ebay/Paypal buyer protection when purchasing. If anyone is selling anything repro under false pretenses, then it is up to the community to report the items to Ebay and say they are selling false items. It's somewhere on the right side above the description, link says REPORT ITEM. I like sellers who feign ignorance. I think it's Happiestseller that is popping off all these repro carts of R9 and R10 games for over $100 each and putting in the description, these may be repros from the late 1980s. This is the most idiotic seller ever.

Phil

Agreed. If you aren't willing to take the risk, don't bid. eBay buy protection should be enough to mitigate any risk. Con artists will be con artists. Buy from a reputable source.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.... The only reason I saw the listing was because I searched Q-berts Qubes... (I need one by the way if anyone is selling, original label please!) :)

Since you have displayed them in a photo you are obviously advertising that you "could" make them...I guess you are just waiting for the right offer? Makes no difference to me but just seems a little odd.

Tell you what I am going do. I have been on fence about the rare and prototype labels. If you Crazy Climber want a Q*Bert Qubes copy I will simply mail one to you for free. Just PM me your physical address and I can stick a stamp on a letter and send you one. I have a few labels already made as I was testing my new printer and various types of peel and stick paper quality.

Here is the thing folks. How do you walk the thin line between making a small profit and basically giving these away? Perhaps you don't have any idea of how much eBay & PalPal charges and takes the profit margin out of your sales. Then there is the postage costs, time, & supplies involved. Most of items that I sell, the S&H which I charge is less then what USPS cost me. eBay takes 15% off the top off any video game sales. Add in final value, gallery listing, BIN, PayPal fees, S&H and you are basically losing money when selling single items for a buck or two.

The thing that upsets me is those few sellers on eBay who are asking and sometime getting $3-$5 for simple crappy remade labels or end caps. It makes absolutely no sense to me that anyone should pay more for the label, when you can get another complete game for the same price or less. There are always going to be people whom are new to Video Game collecting and shopping the eBay market place for the 1st time. Those folks will pay more then us "professional" Atari & retro gamers as we know from experience what titles are generally worth.

People see crazy prices on Amazon or any online Video gaming stores and think, oh these are worth that much!? Any large retail (physical location) retro gaming store in the USA might have a mint in box Atari 2600 and ask $150-$200. They may eventually get that high price for it especially around Christmas time from an impulsive buyer. So most people think that eBay is generally a bargain after shopping around a little bit for vintage gaming stuff.

Getting back to my rare label and the prototypes. If I made them high definition & rewrote the copyright by hand to look as good as the original, there is nothing to stop others from buying and redoing them. Anyone with CAD or MS Painting skills could remove my Retro Prototype markings & copyrights and then make the label look nearly exactly like new. Then an unscrupulous seller could remove a crappy title label on say a R9 Mr. Do's Castle, put on their title redone sticker on it, then they could resell the game. Lots of people already do this on games saying in excellent shape, and then get worth double or more of what the game is really worth. That is my biggest problem with this project and the rare titles. I think every one of us has seen this happen on eBay many times, as we post on Facebook outragous prices buyers sometimes are asking for "RARE" reproduction games cartridges.

And yet the really good tricky sellers can still maintain a very high even 100% perfect feedback rating or even a top rated seller status. They usually sell to new folks who don't know any better. If an educated (like us) video game customer complains they can always:

1. Pretend they didn't know it was a copy.

2. Have a disclaimer on their sale about the description of the item in question.

3. Their policy states as is sale no returns.

4. Allow the customer to return the product for refund. But usually the customer must pay for additional shipping and tracking to do so.

5. They can go through a product dispute process through eBay or PayPal

6. Or they can simply work things out by giving a partial or full refund to the customer.

I prefer the last choice as I would rather give the unhappy customer a full or partial refund then to get a low detail rating or negative feedback. The problem is that in this rough economy so many people are trying to get something for nothing. Many times it is a spoiled kid using their parents credit cards and eBay & PayPal really doesn't care at all so long as they get their nice portion of the sales.

What I would prefer to do is learn HTML programming so I can open my own online store and charge what I think is "fair market" prices. When I do have a very rare or one of kind item there is no guide to pricing that. It's simply you try and get the most money you can out of someone else that is willing to pay for it. The other factor is how long it takes to sell an item. You can simply let sit on a "shelf" for months and even years. Or you can slowly lower the price to an acceptable amount that you and a buyer are happy with.

I have had my eBay store for nearly 15 years, been buying, selling, and trading Video Games for about 30 years now. I think that everyone wants to buy the best and most games they can for the cheapest price. Unless your rich and then you brag about how much you overpaid for your new car, those Versace clothes & Gucci products. ::smiles::: Sometimes I get frustrated with non paying sellers or scammers and may close my store for months. Or when making good money at my other jobs, I will only be buying on eBay and off Craig's list to resell or enjoy later. The wife and I love Thrift Store shopping where we occasionally find treasures which might turn a nice profit after fixing and cleaning.

When my labels & posters are up to the standards I am comfortable with, I will be posting some on eBay hoping to draw attention to my remade and new products. I plan on offering the Atari 2600 text end labels and Parker Brothers reprints to any and all of my Facebook groups at 1/2 price of the online sales. Anyone who has a PayPal account could send me their want list, and I could then send Y'all an invoice so there would be buyer and seller protection both ways.

We would be skipping eBay altogether as they and PayPal are now separate businesses again. This will save everyone time money and effort. Instead of my having to using USPS 1st class or Priority Mail with tracking, I could simply use letters and stamps on these small items. It's really not worth my time and effort to sell things at less then $5, so that is why I generally sell the cheaper video games in small lots. Could you imagine the trouble I would be in if everyone in my groups over 5K people just wanted to order a single label? LMSAO

OK folks that's the plan. It will likely be month or so before I am ready to ramp up my production. Just depends on the hours at my main job. Currently we are staffed up so I am working less then 30 hours a week, which gives me more time to work on eBay & my gaming projects. Heck, I used to spend 50-75% of my free time playing video games. Now I am lucky to turn on a console to play games 10% of the time, maybe a few hours a week. The vast majority of my time is spent cleaning and testing items I have recently acquired. It also takes a good period of a day to describe everything your selling accurately & take multiple pictures of the better items.

Oh and turning a simple picture of a fake unreleased boxed game into nice usable label, that I would say that takes about 5-10 hours of "reproduction" work. If anyone thinks its easy blending a mottled background into a solid color, you should give it a whirl. Try going around the edges of a already known, mock up box that has a cartoon picture on it, and digitally "removing" the plastic covering. Anyone can please be my guest and show me how to do it better.

Rant over and out. I am more then happy to help people with their nice requests, but like designing a game it takes time and effort. Has anyone ever seen the process involved in restoring a rare artwork? LOL its not quite that hard but it certainly isn't the simple process many of you seem to think that it is. Remember folks, you can catch more flies with honey which is better then the vinegar that a few have spouted out. I welcome even encourage honest discussion and advice. If you just want to bash my efforts find another person or thread to pick on. Peace out all. David.

Hey Supergun, good advice on the Hulk. I already had that one and Octopussy downloaded and am about 1/2 through with the redesign on the Increadible Hulk. What do you think would be a fair price to ask for each of those prototypes labels should I sell them on eBay? Send me a PM and I can talk to you about those items & your other request.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nearly done with the remakes and completed copies ready for eBay listings. I have reworked some of them many times. A few could use minor touch ups but happy with the results now. I made a ton of samples as I was rechecking the sizing issues and comparing them to originals. The black outer cut line is much thinner and almost eliminated. The colors and image quality are much improved. I hate to throw away the test items so would like to sell them super cheap so long as people order at least 5 that they need. Lets say just 50 cents each and the price of the stamp if you want to buy them. Currently have a bunch of Star Wars including two prototypes and just about every other Parkers Brother copies ready made but for Mr. Dos Castle and Q*bert Qubes. Does anyone want or need some? They are even precut to size and ready to attach to your games. I can PayPal an invoice if you need it or could just send them to you for a few bucks. LMK thanks David

• 5 months later...

Many thanks to the folks who like my rough cut Parker Brothers labels. The improved ones are hiding in a crashed PC hard drive. Just hadn't gotten around to recovering the data. But I have gotten a bunch of orders for the old ones posted here from many nice folks. I have moved on to developing M-Network games cover labels, and currently working on about 60+ Intellivision skin labels. I will post in the the appropriate section of the forum when those are totally finished and ready for sale online.

• 2 months later...

I think these are a great idea and look fine -- better than some of the ripped up labels I have on my PB carts -- and decently priced. I'm going to take a look at which carts I have that need new labels and get back to you. Thanks.

I will be posting a pick and choose auction in my eBay store next week for the PB labels which I have already made up. It will be starting at $9.99 for any 4 of the more common titles. You can also look up my current listings of which are the newly designed Intellivision cartridge covers. Simply use the advanced search on eBay by seller Age-of-Atarius.