retroillucid

Coleco / ColecoVision History Book  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts about it?

• Can't wait!!! Instant buy!
    • Sounds interesting, but might only get the eBook
    • Couldn't care less!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

hai could be interested by this book. But it will really depend what there is inside.

What interest me , if interview and anecdote of coleco employee, engineer. Problem they had when creating the colecovision. what drive certain of their technical choices.

Same thing about game development. Why these particular 3 levels of donkey kong have been kept , why not another choice... etc..etc...

Not just a sequel of dates with nice pictures...

A book with a content like the book about commodore: "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" with more pictures would be great.

hai could be interested by this book. But it will really depend what there is inside.

What interest me , if interview and anecdote of coleco employee, engineer. Problem they had when creating the colecovision. what drive certain of their technical choices.

Same thing about game development. Why these particular 3 levels of donkey kong have been kept , why not another choice... etc..etc...

Not just a sequel of dates with nice pictures...

A book with a content like the book about commodore: "On the Edge: the Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" with more pictures would be great.

I hear you

I think there's a good mix of everything in there

But again, the book is mostly the Coleco Industries story, not just the Colecovision and its development

We've an interview set for this week with Michael Katz .....wich we're REALLY proud of :)

post-11933-0-81677900-1439320565_thumb.jpg

Edited by retroillucid

But again, the book is mostly the Coleco Industries story, not just the Colecovision and its development

That actually makes me even more interested. I'm always fascinated by stories behind large companies that ended up going under when they seemed like they were on top of everything. Kind of how I liked the Game Over movie focused on the company of Atari as a whole, not just the dig. Really looking forward to some of the information you guys can uncover.

That actually makes me even more interested. I'm always fascinated by stories behind large companies that ended up going under when they seemed like they were on top of everything. Kind of how I liked the Game Over movie focused on the company of Atari as a whole, not just the dig. Really looking forward to some of the information you guys can uncover.

I think the most interesting part of their story is how they became one of the largest & important toy maker through all those years

And also how they failed

I also want to end once for all the myth that the Coleco ADAM cause Coleco's bankruptcy

I also want to end once for all the myth that the Coleco ADAM cause Coleco's bankruptcy

It's great to hear that this Coleco book project finally has legs under it and will be released in the near future after so many years of talking about it. Good luck with finally bringing this great project to fruition!

Glad to hear that you will be disspelling the myth that the ADAM Computer failure was the final straw that broke Coleco's back and forced them to file bankruptcy. It did some serious damage, but Coleco did in fact recover better than most realize and continued on in the toy industry for a number of years more until further bad decisions finally brought about their end in the late 80s.

• Like 1

It's great to hear that this Coleco book project finally has legs under it and will be released in the near future after so many years of talking about it. Good luck with finally bringing this great project to fruition!

Glad to hear that you will be disspelling the myth that the ADAM Computer failure was the final straw that broke Coleco's back and forced them to file bankruptcy. It did some serious damage, but Coleco did in fact recover better than most realize and continued on in the toy industry for a number of years more until further bad decisions finally brought about their end in the late 80s.

Thanks Jim!

I'll make sure to send you the final version for a proof read ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm the book publisher and I'm really glad to see so much interest for the project!

Expect it by the end of the year, we still have a lot to cover and write down but the plan is finalized and the 3 first chapters - about Coleco pre-video games era - are written.

We're still tracking people who used to work at Coleco and as JF said we spoke with Michael Katz who filled in a few blanks and told us some very interesting and funny anecdotes. But if you know someone who used to work there or have a way to contact someone who, please feel free to tell me, this will help making the book bigger and better!

And yes the Adam is not the cause of Coleco Industries demise :)

When we'll reach the end of the project I'll create a new thread to see who would be in for a Collector's Edition and what we should put in it.

Stay tuned!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

There was a Kickstarter campaign wich was successful

The book is scheduled to be released next June

There was? -looks overhead- Completely missed it! Ah well, I'm sure there will be extra physical copies and/or Kindle edition I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

You can still order your copy by contacting Antoine

http://atariage.com/forums/user/43428-editionsbooqc/

Hey Bud,

I just tried this, emailed him and never heard back from him. Its been a week or so, have you spoken or heard from him at all. I want the book, for sure. =)

Thanks Anthony

• 3 weeks later...