IGNORED

Atari 2600 Covers We Love - w/John SWLOVINIST

Metal Jesus

Take a rare look at our favorite vintage Atari 2600 boxes and cover art with The Immortal John Hancock & Metal Jesus Rocks.

GAMES SHOWN:
Marauder
Demon Attack
Tanks but no Tanks
Threshold
Pitfall! (signed by David Crane)
Mega Force
Missile Command
Radar Lock
Vanguard
Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle
Gyruss
Space Invaders
Tac/Scan
Dark Chambers
I realize on this particular forum, the boxes may not be unusual...but for most casual collectors...they rarely see some of these boxes. What did you guys think of the video?
  • Like 6

Very cool video! Those were all fantastic examples of the wonderful artwork found on so many Atari 2600 games. A few of my favorites that weren't covered in the video are:

Adventure

SZOZAkf.jpg

This is one of those games where the box art immediately lays out the entire premise of the game with one glance, and it looks awesome. There's some knights setting out on a quest from a yellow castle towards a maze full of treasures and keys, which is guarded by a dragon. That's pretty much Adventure in a nutshell, and it's a great game for anyone who is into high fantasy.

Berzerk

DJtI2uT.jpg

I've loved the artwork on Berzerk ever since I was a little kid in the late 80's, and it always spurred my imagination to form a bigger and detailed view of the world inside in the game then just what the pixels on the screen showed. Also, any game that includes a comic book based on the game is automatically cool (or "rad" if you rather, since this was the 80's).

Secret Quest

aUafZtx.jpg

The box art on this one always boggled my mind, but in the best kind of way. At first glance it looks like there's a guy running around on a spaceship (which is about to self destruct), completely naked save for a pair of black spandex underwear, a helmet, body paint, and a nipple piercing; and he's fighting this Tyrannosaurus rex/rhinoceros hybrid thing with a lightsaber. Upon closer inspection you realize he is actually wearing a suit and that's a badge of some kind on his chest (not a nipple piercing), but it's still great art either way. I also like how the box shows that this was the only game made specially for the Atari 2600 that Atari founder Nolan Bushnell had involvement in the creation of. On top of all that it's a fantastically fun game, and the only Atari 2600 game I can think of that actually has a password system to save and load your game. It's an arcade style rendition of The Legend of Zelda in space, with lightsabers and dinosaurs to boot, and that is just half a dozen different kinds of awesome. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Will definitely check out the video.  Some of the faves mentioned are also mine but there's many great covers missed off the list that I prefer to some mentioned.  Here's a list of my faves not on the list:

1. Air Sea Battle

2. Asteroids

3. Battlezone

4. Bermuda Triangle

5. Canyon Bomber

6. Combat

7. Demolition Herby

8. Haunted House

9. Millipede

10. Moon Patrol

11. Phoenix

12. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

13. Stargunner

14. Yars' Revenge

• Like 1

Might as well list my favorite cover by each artist:

J4pC5VC.jpg

Cliff Spohn | George Opperman | Greg Winters | Gus Allen | Hiro Kimura | James Kelly

Jim Talbot | John Enright | Marc William Ericksen | Michael Mendheim | Michel Allaire | Ralph Angus McQuarrie

Randy Berrett | Rick Guidice | Steve Hendricks | Susan Jaekel | Terry Hoff | Warren Chang

• Like 1