IGNORED

Miniature Golf

K.Michael

Hello all, recently I've gotten super into Miniature Golf for the Atari 2600, and I was just wondering if anyone had made any new Mini golf games for the console. This one was pretty early (79?), and the system has been pushed much further since its release. I saw that someone made a hack https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=225which looks pretty cool, but I'm talking about an entirely new game

Like the others above, I don't think there have been any Miniature Golf games for the 2600 other than the original and the + hack. If you're looking for a way to add some variety to your game though I suggest trying it out with a trackball controller instead of a joystick. The same goes for Bowling! Every golf and bowling game I've ever played in an arcade used a trackball for control, and it suits both genres of games really well. :)

Love me some Miniature Golf! It's kind of funny that people seem to either really like it, or they just don't get it at all.

Yeah I had only heard bad things about it to be honest, but when I played it I absolutely loved it! I mean, I love real mini golf, and this game had the same sort of feel to it, right down to it being super fun when you're doing well and the most frustrating thing ever when you're not (I even lost my ball at one point :P ). I just played a game with my mother who doesn't play games at all, and we both had a blast. The graphics are simple, but if you read the title, and then look at the screen you can instantly see what everything is. I'm not really sure what the people who hate the game were expecting from a mini-golf title XD

• Like 1

Actually, Miniature Golf is a good one to try out if you ever feel like hacking a game. Lotta unused ram, and playfield options can be expanded very easily (compared to other games, that is). Check out http://atariage.com/forums/topic/121581-miniature-golf-course-editorand http://atariage.com/forums/topic/141487-miniature-golf-high-resolution

• 3 weeks later...

Love me some Miniature Golf! It's kind of funny that people seem to either really like it, or they just don't get it at all.

I like Miniature Golf a lot too, it's always a stand out favorite at get togethers also. Much more challenging 5 beers in....

Edited by atari-dna

• 2 months later...

Glenn's Miniature Golf+ was a great hack. I bought a copy back in '03 or so when he created it.

After going on a Miniature Golf bender the last few days I'm now convinced that I have to buy the + hack at some point very soon. I'm curious though, how many holes are in it? Is it a 9 hole course like the original or was it expanded to a full 18?

I have always loved Miniature Golf Plus from Antic on the 8-bit. I have played it for years. Just last night I discovered Mini Golf for the 2600. Watched a YouTube review and it plays very similar (physics-wise) as my 8-bit version. I have to get a copy for 2600 soon.

This was an ANTIC "Game of the Month" type-in for either June or July 1985. It had an accompanying type-in construction set to design & play your own holes/courses! All you needed was graph paper, a straight edge & imagination. Maybe the OP has an 8-bit for this, or could acquire one...

I had planned to sell my 800XL setup awhile back but my 7-yr old forbade(?) it because he likes the minigolf design program so much.

Edited by RJ

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v9n2/minigolfplus.html

Roger that. It first appeared in the magazine Softside. The author cleaned it up and sold it to XLENT (I believe). When 8-bit interest subsided, he released it into the public domain with Antic. It was the next to the last Antic published. I had gotten away from Atari for years. Still had all my gear, just locked up. I spotted this issue at the book store. It was what got me back into Atari, for good. I have spent many thousands since that day that I bought that Antic (with disk). I have loved that game. The 2600 version reminds me of that game, just more simple. I will have the 2600 version soon.

• Like 1

Yeah, that game is totally rad. Box push another box to the 3rd box. How could you go wrong? :) Had a lot of fun sending box from one end of the screen to another. And that sound! Like sound of speed! xD

I wondered to make a remake as indie game for Windows and Mac, but I couldn't figure out the behaviors of the boxes, so I left Remake Mini Golf idea for some another time, and just continue working of my current project.

• Like 1