IGNORED

System opinions wanted

Hello,

I've recently decided to dig out my Intellivision collection and hookup my systems. I currently own an original Intellivision and a INTV System III. Both of these are donor systems that I got from a friend and are pretty beat. I'm thinking of upgrading them and would like to know what others think about picking a good replacement i.e. preferred system (1, 2, or 3, etc) and maybe some idea of what I'd be looking at for cost. I own about 40 games and the Intellivoice and while I don't plan on throwing a lot of money at it, it seems like a waste to have such a cool system sitting idle.

Thanks

Good point. If I could combine the 2 systems I'd be better off. The INTV has some beat up controllers (part of the keypad missing on player 1, the overlay plastic is partially broken on player 2) but the display seems ok. The original Intellivision has some display issues but the controllers are better, I'm going to try cleaning the original a little soon but thought I'd see what others had to say.

Good point. If I could combine the 2 systems I'd be better off. The INTV has some beat up controllers (part of the keypad missing on player 1, the overlay plastic is partially broken on player 2) but the display seems ok. The original Intellivision has some display issues but the controllers are better, I'm going to try cleaning the original a little soon but thought I'd see what others had to say.

You can combine the systems. They are compatible, you will just have to open the system cases and take out the controllers. Make sure you mind the orientation of the controller plugs.

You can combine the systems. They are compatible, you will just have to open the system cases and take out the controllers. Make sure you mind the orientation of the controller plugs.

Well that's good to know. I had heard that once the controllers fail, the system is no good. I've never opened an Intellivision but it sounds like the controllers plug in similar to the "hardwired" version of the Odyssey 2. I'll try to look at it tonight.

Thanks!

The trouble with bad controllers on an Intellivision is that if connections in the "guts" are shorted, it can prevent some games from booting, making the system seem dead. You may be able to swap the controller guts w/o opening up the entire system, though the connections in the system are simple plugs.

Are the mylar guts of the System III identical to the original Mattel ones? I can't recall. The INTV System III / Super Pro System era saw some variations in the cosmetics, but I don't recall if the pressure connector part where the wires go into the controller changed, too.

I opened up the Intellivision and I think the pots on the RF unit are bad. If I tweak the video pot a little the picture is actually pretty good and stable but if I shift the unit or unplug/plug the RF cable eventually I get an occasional static/screen roll issue. I assume I can either -

1. clean the pots

2. replace the RF unit

3. do an AV mod

4. deal with it

Not sure which would be the easiest or best (not including option 4).

I opened up the Intellivision and I think the pots on the RF unit are bad. If I tweak the video pot a little the picture is actually pretty good and stable but if I shift the unit or unplug/plug the RF cable eventually I get an occasional static/screen roll issue. I assume I can either -

1. clean the pots

2. replace the RF unit

3. do an AV mod

4. deal with it

Not sure which would be the easiest or best (not including option 4).

you could have a bad rf cable too

you could have a bad rf cable too

Sorry, sometimes I state what I've narrowed the problem down to without explaining the troubleshooting I did to reach that conclusion.

I had tried swapping out the cable and TV switch and didn't get a better result but your suggestion did make me think about it being the plug on the RF unit. I put the system away last night and tried it again today with quite a bit of static but found with a good slap it clears up ok. Naturally I don't consider that a fix but it really takes me back to being a kid again. Ha!