IGNORED

Genesis (or other controller) on Atari Jaguar

dasbjoern

Hi everyone!

I just fulfilled my childhood dream of getting an Atari Jaguar and a small handfull of games. The only real Problem is the price of controllers which are terribly expensive around here (60$ - 90$) :-(

Is there a way to build an adaptor of modify a Sega Genesis or any other controller to work on a Jaguar?

I'm thankful for any useful reply

Bjoern

• Like 1

Part of the problem is that the games uses the keypad. I'm sure there's a way to rig something up but the time and money you'll put in might not be worth it. This was why I wanted to complete my Jaguar collection because I knew the longer I wait, the more this stuff was going to cost. Have you looked on eBay and see the prices of those controllers?

Is the numpad really that important? I have one standard Jagpad and never actually use those keys, because I don't really know what they do :D

The prices of the controllers are too high for me to get a second one for multiplayer games, especially since I have a lot of systems to cover. That is why I would love to hook up a genesis controller with the D-pad, a, b, c and start used in any way possible. Somehow it must be feasible to replicate the decoder of a Jagpad with an AT-Mega or something and hardwire it to a Sega controller...

I see so many people slaughtering those expensive pads to work on other Systems but never the other way 'round and no aftermarket controller like for most of the other systems...

It's really not worth the trouble trying to mess with that. If you want to know what the keypad numbers do and you don't have overlays just look up the functions in the game manuals here on AA.

Plenty of cheap 3 button jag controllers out there..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Controller-/261986606237?hash=item3cff9e5c9d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICAL-OEM-ATARI-JAGUAR-System-CONTROLLER-USA-WORKS-/161680615450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a4ea681a

Would those work on a PAL-Jaguar or is there any kind of lock? I just have to see if someone'd ship to Germany. My cheapest options here at the moment are offers like this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Controller-NEU-OVP-/381334926449?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item58c9553471

That's about $110 :-/

My understanding is that it would work just fine on a PAL jaguar. Also, I think shipping overseas shouldn't be a problem. I just got in my second CDi three button controller from the Netherlands today :D

Even though a 3-button controller without the keypad might work, I think ultimately it's worth getting the original Jaguar controller. That way you won't regret it if you find a game you like that uses the keypad otherwise you may wind up shelling out for both in the end.

Even having a controller shipped from the USA is much cheaper than the the 99 EUR for the controller you provided a link to. They should be in the $15-$20 range and there are often 2 controller deals for about $25.

It is possible to modify a Joypad for Atari Jaguar use but it is a very difficult task as it requires not only recreating from zero the circuitry of the standard Jaguar Joypad (74HC~ IC, diodes, etc.) but also adapting the donor Joypad to it.

Possible but PITA. ;)

Cheers,

Oge

If it's such a discomfort in the rear...

Even with shipping the US-prices are incredibly low. Some things are terribly expensive over her like the 32x (not under 120€ - Chaotix für 100€) or the Mega CD (Model I for 200€ and up) because of the low original sales over here...

Just curious what handful of games did you get?

I got my Jag with AvP, Tempest 2000 and Attack of the Mutant Penguins. I think I made quite a catch there.

Maybe I should look for a Jaguar-CD in the US :)

• Like 1

If you want a great controller for Jag that is not stock then what you want to buy is called Boomarang or Boomerang (can't remember which spelling). It looks damn near Identical to a sega genisis control and is the only 3rd party control that was licsened by Atari. I have one, good controller. Boomarange controllers were made for many systems so when you find one, make sure its for the Jag. Hope that helps -Nick.

Edited by onalok

If you want a great controller for Jag that is not stock then what you want to buy is called Boomarang or Boomerang (can't remember which spelling). It looks damn near Identical to a sega genisis control and is the only 3rd party control that was licsened by Atari. I have one, good controller. Boomarange controllers were made for many systems so when you find one, make sure its for the Jag. Hope that helps -Nick.

Picture???