IGNORED

Team 17's Missing Jaguar Games.

Lost Dragon

The fumes have returned. It's been about a month since we had fume exposure around here.

I guess. Every time you guys post your views it seems the Jaguar gets less and less powerful. We're expecting you guys to announce at any time now that the Jaguar chipset is no longer powerful enough to even be turned on.

Nope don't do it. Don't do it. Don't hit the power button. The machine can't handle it. You'll need to stick an SNES in there to even see anything on the screen.

I guess. Every time you guys post your views it seems the Jaguar gets less and less powerful. We're expecting you guys to announce at any time now that the Jaguar chipset is no longer powerful enough to even be turned on.

Nope don't do it. Don't do it. Don't hit the power button. The machine can't handle it. You'll need to stick an SNES in there to even see anything on the screen.

Fap. Fap. Fap. Fap. Fap. It's amazing you can see anything :P

• Like 1

Jaguar is better than its reputation: it has some good games, and the 64-ness might be 16-bit with a twist, and to me that is more than Genesis and still cart based which is funnier than cds. The 3D is struggling and that is the fun part, balance 3D against frame rate. Some fun hardware stuff as well like Jaglink.

Some of you seem to think less - much less - ans some more - much more (but I haven't seen them yet).

If people can get endless fun out of a 2600 or a NES why not out of this piece of machinery?
---
TEAM 17 "died" with the Amiga and ST home computer generation I think... 2D masters not surviving the 3D powah house future of PS & c:o. Worms being their big strong add to game history. Too bad they didn't port QWAK! to Jaguar, it's such a fun game.

Edited by Atlantis
  • Like 2

---

TEAM 17 "died" with the Amiga and ST home computer generation I think... 2D masters not surviving the 3D powah house future of PS & c:o. Worms being their big strong add to game history. Too bad they didn't port QWAK! to Jaguar, it's such a fun game.

To be fair to Team 17, they're still around and still making games, so even though you put "died" in scare quotes, I think we need to give them more credit. While it's true they're one of the smaller shops out there with a little over 50 employees, it's still damned impressive that they're relevant in any way after all these years. While they're no longer at the forefront of gaming, mostly sticking to Worms rehashes, I give them all the credit for successfully navigating through the incredible changes in the industry in their 25 years in business.

• Like 4

To be fair to Team 17, they're still around and still making games, so even though you put "died" in scare quotes, I think we need to give them more credit.

:-)

More than happy to (once again..) clear up any confusion over me being a reporter or jurno. in any given form....

Yes, i've done numerous interviews for various sites/publications etc and fired off countless more general Q's to industry sources, over the past 18 months or so....

Mainly because i never found the answers i was personally looking for in mainstream mags i'd been subscribing too (perfectly presented and proof read as the articles/interviews indeed were), simply never seemed to ask the questions i or various Lost game sites wanted it seemed.

But i always warned the website or publication in question who wanted my interviews, they'd need to do some serious proof reading to make them presentable.

I just put hours into researching Lost Games etc for various sites and it's a million miles away from my real life job as you can get, so i don't bother much to proof read a mere forum post.

I'm nearing end of my researching stint so not going to change anything now of all times :-)

• Like 1

Swiftly back on topic...

Loved QWAK so much i have 2 copies on GBA, bought another 3 for my mates, would of loved a version on Jaguar....

As for list of later Team 17 games above:

Hated Worms Blast, Alien Bredd Evolution was dissapointing, but then i bought the original off PSN some time ago and found it had aged badly...

But it's the later canned Team 17 games i'd of liked to of seen:

P.I.G (PS1/PC), Phoenix (PC), Alien Breed:Conflict (PC) and 'Project WM' which was at 1 point rumoured to be Dreamcast bound along with PC version.

Did try emailing them months back regarding..What Happen Too...?

But never even got a reply back :-(.

I used to chuckle when i'd get my crude interview questions back with comments like:

'Sorry about the spelling etc...answers will need proof reading and cleaning up before publication' and i'd send light hearted replies back along lines of: 'If you think your answers might need some work doing, look at my questions...my English teacher would turn in his grave'.

All joking aside, the 'celbs' simply saw the Q's for what they were, simply being sent by someone with an interest in the subject material/their past work and it was being done for free, to go either online or an indie publication like ST Gamer/Classic Console Magazine etc, they were'nt dealing with a freelancer from Edge/Gamestm/Eurogamer etc, the interviews were more of an email based chat than anything else and it was just nice to take a trip down memory line and find out what became of various titles.

Only 1 more interview to get sorted and then see just how many come back in that i've been waiting ages for.

Edited by Lost Dragon

To be fair to Team 17, they're still around and still making games, so even though you put "died" in scare quotes, I think we need to give them more credit. While it's true they're one of the smaller shops out there with a little over 50 employees, it's still damned impressive that they're relevant in any way after all these years. While they're no longer at the forefront of gaming, mostly sticking to Worms rehashes, I give them all the credit for successfully navigating through the incredible changes in the industry in their 25 years in business.

So true. It's amazing how much money a worm can bring to the table....=)

I'll add my 2 cents to this one....

I think that game video for the Rollcage demo looks like absolute crap. Shame really. I think if they had developed a rally game with scaling sprites -- perhaps

using a game engine like Super Burnout..... Could have made a very epic Rally racing game. Too many developers were trying to use the Jaguar in ways it

really wasn't well suited for. Had they just embraced its strengths (2D and scaling/rotating), the game lineup probably would have been a lot better. Too many

had 3D in the crosshairs -- and the Jag just didn't cut it most of the time.

Edited by JagCD

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necropost, but a video has come out showing what Witchwood looked like.

This kind of bums me out... this is basically the kind of game for the Jaguar that I've always wanted to see.

I never really got into the Final Fantasy games after the original ones on the NES (or Final Fantasy Legend on the Game Boy), but I was always a huge fan of the Dragon Warrior games... particularly 1 and 2 for the NES. That kind of adventure game (which this more or less is), is basically what I would have loved to see for the Jaguar.

I don't know why we never really saw anything like that ever published for the Jag... just a different make-up of programming teams I suppose.

I have to say, and hope no one gets too upset, hahah... but the Sega Saturn seemed to be better for games like that, as well as 3D games.

Still, I love most of the games for the Jaguar... the system has some really unique games, especially some of the later homebrews. The Jaguar to me still feels somewhat modern, even if it's old... and I kind of like that.

But... I'd love to see someone come out with a game like this one day. The Jaguar is FULL of 2D side-scrollers that no one's ever heard of... but basically no RPG games except for Towers 2.

And Towers 2 is....

Uncontrollable, jerky, blurry 3D visuals. Yep, looks perfect for a Jaguar port.

Edited by 82-T/A
  • Like 1

That's the PC version though

Yes, it's true. My understanding is that the Jaguar version wasn't even started, so the video just gives me (us?) some idea of what it could have looked like if it were to be ported to the Jaguar. Based on what I saw in the video, I think it's entirely doable with the Jaguar's hardware.

Swiftly back on topic...
Loved QWAK so much i have 2 copies on GBA, bought another 3 for my mates, would of loved a version on Jaguar....
As for list of later Team 17 games above:
Hated Worms Blast, Alien Bredd Evolution was dissapointing, but then i bought the original off PSN some time ago and found it had aged badly...
But it's the later canned Team 17 games i'd of liked to of seen:
P.I.G (PS1/PC), Phoenix (PC), Alien Breed:Conflict (PC) and 'Project WM' which was at 1 point rumoured to be Dreamcast bound along with PC version.
Did try emailing them months back regarding..What Happen Too...?
But never even got a reply back :-(.

I used to work at Team17 in the early 2000s. I don't know much about the amiga/jaguar days but I'm still friends with some of the old-timers so if you have specific questions I can pass them on if you like.

I do remember asking Martyn for a copy of Worms for jag but all I got was Cybermorph (which I actually didn't have at the time!).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Returning to this thread as after looking into Team 17 Jaguar development, whilst trying to glean a bit more gameplay info on Witchwood, a few things became clear.

It seems both 3DO and Atari approached Team 17 with a view of signing them up from the start.

Some within Team 17 thought the 3DO to be hideously expensive.

Company takes a wait and see policy, to see if the Jaguar becomes commercially viable.

At the end of 1993 they aren't signed, but do have the Jaguar technical documenration and have stayed in touch with Atari but don't even have a retail Jaguar for evulation purposes.

February 1994 Atari annouced them as an official developer, even though they are still waiting for a Jaguar development kit and still were in May 94.

Atari's history had raised concerns within the ranks of at least 1 of Team 17's coders:

'High numbers doesn’t make a platform. Marketing and software does.

3DO has tons more credibility than Atari, and Atari has had a habit of hyping products before release, and when the product finally ships

(one year after promise) much of the hyperbole turns out to be just that.'

'Remember the Falcon hype? I actually thought of getting one when I saw the press releases from Atari claiming awesome graphics and processing

capability for a very low price ($700?). When it was finally released it wasn’t so interesting anymore – it turned out to be much more expensive, and it’s performance didn’t live up to Atari’s claims.'

'With the Jaguar, the history seem to repeat itself. It appears that the Jaguar isn’t going to cost $199 at all, but is going to sell for $250

to $299. Add the cost of a CD to that, claimed to cost $200-$250, and you’re up to the 3DO player cost. Judging from the screenshots I’ve seen

so far, the software isn’t going to be too hot either. I’ve seen better

graphics in standard Amiga games. Very unimpressive.'

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3