IGNORED

What was the first Atari 2600 game you bought?

Skippy B. Coyote

• 1 year later...

I've mentioned this in other posts, but, the first games I had(and still have)were Pac-man and Asteroids. Had these before I had a system. Not long after, we got a Gemini and I was in heaven. Even back then, I knew these games weren't close to the arcade, but I had a blast playing them and still do to this day. Now I'm sitting on over 200 Atari games and 3 2600 systems.

• Like 2

My mother got me the Atari VCS back in 77 with all the first 9 games that was sold, but my very first 2600 game I ever brought with my own money I saved up was Berzerk and to this day its still by top all time fave 2600 game ever^_^

I bought it at the old Woolworth store on NYC 14th street in 1982 here's that last photo before they close down the store. Man I so missed that store a lot:(

Man, you were lucky. It took a LOT of persuading to get my dad to buy me one other game to go with my new VCS. At least he let me pick which one. That game was Yars' Revenge. Soon after, I got Missile Command with birthday money from relatives. That was back in May 1983. Wasn't from Woolworths or Woolies as we Brits used to affectionately call the chain. They survived for longer in the UK and had 100's of stores all over the country. Sadly, they eventually went bankrupt and the last store closed in 2009.

Space Invaders. Sears, Southlake Mall, Merrillville IN. I'll never forget buying that the day it came out. It was the second game for the 2600 I owned next to the pack in Combat. Thought I was going to lose my shite when I got that game. Of course that was comparing it to Combat. ;) After that, Adventure, then PacMan. Ahhh the memories!

Edited by 4ever2600

My parents bought us an Atari in 1979, and I remember Adventure being included. Mind blowing at the time. And yes, I found the Easter Egg on my own. One of those watershed moments in life. Never would I have dreamed that incident would form the basis of a movie (Ready Player One) nearly 40 years later.

I think the first games I actually saved up for and purchased on my own was the complete Starpath Supercharger set of games after seeing an ad in some magazine. I never DID finish that infernal Survival Island.. dear god what a PITA. But Dragonstomper.. oh yeah...

Solaris, circa about 1990 or 1991. My Colecovision crapped out and I wanted a console in my room (nes and later the SNES stayed in the living room). I had my dad get me a used Atari and a few games. I remember seeing a couple of games in a $5 bin at an odd lots and thought it looked cool (hated it as a kid, need to find and replay it).

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk

I was pretty young when we first got our 2600. So I didn't really buy anything back then. I do know the first one I picked out, though. That was Yars Revenge. My dad had won a 2600 and several games as a door prize at the grand opening of a local grocery store. We already had a 2600... and I think even a 5200 by then... so he put it all up in a closet for... reasons? I don't know, anyway, he let me pick one game out of the batch that came with them and I picked Yars Revenge. I don't remember what the options were, but I liked the cover of that one the most.

As an "adult", with my own money, I think the oldest 2600 game that I purchased is Adventure... and that was probably back in the early to mid 90s.