IGNORED

Improved Color For Your 4-Switch Woody: A Public Service Bulletin

DrVenkman

Okay, so I just tried it on my Rev 13 four-switch woody 2600. Huge difference! Attached is a grid of photos, with the 'Before mod' on the left, and the post-mod on the right. I've also attached a clear photo of the 820 Ohm resistor I soldered on.

Thanks for sharing this mod. Next I will work on an AV mod because the RF is very fuzzy.

post-47549-0-28162300-1476671742_thumb.jpg

post-47549-0-36406300-1476672290_thumb.jpg

Edited by rednakes1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I just tried it on my Rev 13 four-switch woody 2600. Huge difference! Attached is a grid of photos, with the 'Before mod' on the left, and the post-mod on the right. I've also attached a clear photo of the 820 Ohm resistor I soldered on.

Thanks for sharing this mod. Next I will work on an AV mod because the RF is very fuzzy.

You did a very neat job installing that resistor. The isolation tape is not really needed, there is an insulating lacquer layer over the PCB.....but it won't hurt of course :D

Thanks for the tip, yeah I eventually removed the tape and it didn't do any harm. One thing I noticed with the video quality is that you may see a row of white dots on the left side of the screen. My 2600 Jr. also has the same effect so I guess it's a symptom of the extra saturation.

• Like 1

WOW !!!! What a difference one little resistor can make !!!

Finally the Demons of Demon Attack look like I remember them (well, I mean almost like I remember them, I am in PAL territory so I grew up with the (less colorful) PAL 2600 and games, but anyway, the colors are much much richer now !

Excellent tip :D Pretty weird is this is _so_ old and must be well known since it was an official Atari bulletin.

• 4 months later...

I've got kinda funky colors on a revision 17 board that had the resistor added on. I don't know if that revision needs it or not, but yeah - some colors are blurry and indistinct, everything is kind of washed out, some colors aren't easily distinguished (like Pitfall Harry's shirt and the background). Anyone know if I should try removing it or not?

I've been wonder this same thing myself.

I haven't dug into the schematics but it should work for all video output. With this little tweak, you're literally modding right at the source of the video signal for the entire system, as it leaves the TIA chip.

• 2 months later...

I've been wondering about this ever since I got my revision 12 board back in a case. It doesn't have the resistor, but from what I've read, it will help the color if I add one, right?

Also, while I've got the case opened up again, should I go ahead and replace the caps and voltage regulator?

I'm guessing it needs something, since the color is off a bit when compared to my 7800, which is a lot more vibrant and bright.

You guys have me curious. I'm gonna go take another crack at my morning woody. :P

Nope. Mine is a revision 12. No resistor underneath the TIA. Picture is good enough. I'm just gonna leave it stock for now.

FYI, I performed the 820ohm resistor mod sometime last year '15 or '16, can't remember, but it was fall. i do not regret it. Makes the colors pop!

• Like 1

I've been wondering about this ever since I got my revision 12 board back in a case. It doesn't have the resistor, but from what I've read, it will help the color if I add one, right?

Also, while I've got the case opened up again, should I go ahead and replace the caps and voltage regulator?

I'm guessing it needs something, since the color is off a bit when compared to my 7800, which is a lot more vibrant and bright.

Console5's caps kit includes the 820 resistor and the joystick protection update to keep from wreaking the 4050ic.

From console5 site:

"

Service Update Parts:

These updates were included in field service campaigns. Note that depending on revision, not all parts may be necessary for all 2600 models.

• Pre-Revision 14: A pair of zener diodes and capacitors used for static protection on the trigger lines (J202 & J203). Equivalent to service parts CA018263.

Each small yellow .1uf cap is soldered across each zener diode. Each diode/cap combo is then soldered with the diode's stripe end connected to joystick port Pin 6 and the opposite side to the nearest ground plane.

• Pre-Revision 16: An 820 ohm resistor added as a field service repair across TIA pins 6 and 9 and only incorporated in late-model PCBs. Improves color saturation.

Pre-Revision 14 consoles use a 4050 IC which can go bad and cause joystick button problems. Most 2600 PCBs do not have the 4050 and we've chosen to make it available separately for cost savings. The zener/cap parts provided are intended to limit the static issues which cause 4050 failure.

Additional service information available on our wiki page"

• Like 1

No problem.

I've put the resistors on a couple early boards and does improve the color - well worth the 30 seconds to install.

I just ordered the kit. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference the resistor makes. :-D

Whats odd is that on my HDTVs, the color is really close on the 2600 and the 7800. Where it really stands out is on the CRTs. As an example, Seaquest on the 7800 connected to my 13 inch CRT, Game mode off, brightness at lowest setting, everything looks great. Now the 2600, I have to turn game mode on and turn the brightness up past halfway to get a similar picture. So if the resistor corrects that so I don't have to adjust the settings on the TV all the time, I'll be a happy camper! :P

I've installed the resistor once, it seemed to help. The "mini" version of the resistor (which has the same characteristics as an older, physically larger resistor) fits nicely. About 10 of these for a dollar at DigiKey. I have a part number if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk