IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

seriously, which Intellivision games do you think have been released to exploit the community and make money?

How about the Special Edition, Super-Duper Edition, Extra-Special Edition, yet-another-variant-edition, and whatever-other-edition of certain games?

How about the multiple box type variants?

How about the "half-cut," prototypes, and half-finished demos released for money?

What about the ever increasing prices for games and knick-knacks while the production processes keep maturing and economies of scale increase?

Like m-crew said, you can choose to believe what you wish, but there is money to be made from a community of hard-core, obsessive collectors.

Sure, game releases and production can be a very expensive endeavor, that is very true. However, you can bet that the first time someone takes a loss with an item, that's the last time they will produce that item.

It may not be a career salary, but even beer money implies a for-profit operation.

dZ.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people are thinking the same , as DZ and I but are afraid of being bullied (Ganged up on) or shunned from future releases by the self chosen ones here. If they express anything but praise and compliments for new homebrews or farkles being produced.

It is what it is and you can tell the difference when someone releases something of quality and for the love of it then just for $$$.

Plus when do you see some people post and contribute to our community only when they have something to sell/offer.

Then they disappear ?? And not back again until they have another product. ??

Another thought to ponder???

Greed Kills -Communities.

I think a lot of people are thinking the same , as DZ and I but are afraid of being bullied (Ganged up on) or shunned from future releases by the self chosen ones here. If they express anything but praise and compliments for new homebrews or farkles being produced.

I, as manufacturer and distributor of Elektronite and Homebrew, Inc games, have never "shunned" anyone from purchasing one of our releases for any reason. I was not aware that this is actively going on. I know that there are those that will not buy our games under any circumstance, but that is their choice.

I, as manufacturer and distributor of Elektronite and Homebrew, Inc games, have never "shunned" anyone from purchasing one of our releases for any reason. I was not aware that this is actively going on. I know that there are those that will not buy our games under any circumstance, but that is their choice.

My quote was they Could be afraid to express an opinion , not that it was happening.

We need an Inty Czar to come up with the right label for stuff. I like “P2K” for all releases after 2000, long after the original game catalog was officially retired. I still think of “homebrew” as a game that is made in a home part time with limited publishing or limited polish or has ambiguous Copyright and when the games are gone they won’t be produced beyond a small number say 150 units. I think of “Independent” as 150+ units with full NIB/CIB treatment, with potential for unlimited (re)manufacture and reprints from the same publisher.

That would make Sydney Hunter an Independent.

That would make Piggy Bank a Homebrew.

That would make Missile Domination an Independent.

That would make Ms Night Stalker a Homebrew.

It is not about game quality. It is about production and packaging and publishing.

Had Intellivision Productions put out a new game, it would be Canon, part of the original 125(126?).

But all would be P2K to make it general enough to include everyone.

• Like 1

I have kept my mouth shut a few times when someone asked "should this ROM get the full box treatment?" and my answer would have been "no, leave it as a ROM or as cart-only".

The reason for I kept quiet wasn't because of fear of retribution, but rather that I didn't want to discourage a new Inty developer.

• Like 1

I have kept my mouth shut a few times when someone asked "should this ROM get the full box treatment?" and my answer would have been "no, leave it as a ROM or as cart-only".

The reason for I kept quiet wasn't because of fear of retribution, but rather that I didn't want to discourage a new Inty developer.

Well your opinion should not really discourage anyone from really starting or developing anything.

If that was the case nothing would ever get started or done.

Constructive criticism is a good thing and makes things usual better.

Also keeps quality up.

Really if I were a developer I would want to know!!

It's a win win for everyone except for those who are in it for a quick buck !!!!

Edited by m-crew
  • Like 1

This thread is a great example of "Threads Gone Wild!".

We need an Inty Czar to come up with the right label for stuff. I like “P2K” for all releases after 2000, long after the original game catalog was officially retired. I still think of “homebrew” as a game that is made in a home part time with limited publishing or limited polish or has ambiguous Copyright and when the games are gone they won’t be produced beyond a small number say 150 units. I think of “Independent” as 150+ units with full NIB/CIB treatment, with potential for unlimited (re)manufacture and reprints from the same publisher."

With Piggy Bank we choose not to keep making copies. We did a good run, close to 150 when all is said and done. I flirted with the idea of a release with a Box treatment but thought, in the end that would violate the premise of what inspired the creation of the game.

Atari Age is a strict mistress. Somewhere between sadomasochism, narcissisim and amusment.

• Like 5

It is not about game quality. It is about production and packaging and publishing.

But to some, "production, packaging, and publishing," is a large part of what defines the quality of a game; so it is about quality then.

I don't think it's fair to say that Sydney Hunter is any less "home-brewed" than Piggy Bank. The choice of a baggy release was a principled one (and as a joke), not because the producers were some plebs.

Both were done by hand, in someone's home, as a hobby, in their spare time.

dZ.

And before someone asks, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Christmas Carol is a purely home made product, brewed 100% at home, coded fully in my spare time, sometimes in my underwear, and lovingly rolled by hand on the thighs of nubile virgins.

I consider it to be of extremely high quality and polish all aspects: code, gameplay, production, and marketing, yet I am proud to call it "home-brew." :)

• Like 3

I don't think there is a problem in releasing anything on cart. As a matter of fact, I dreamt of doing that myself when I was programming Christmas Carol, and at the beginning it was a single screen small-ish demo with no cut scenes or frills.

The problem, in my view, is when a half-assed, unpolished toy program is published and advertised as the next greatest game, and sold at a premium price because... "Intellivision."

The fault also lies in the hard-core, must-own-everything collectors for encouraging this behaviour.

If a turd game is released for $60 + shipping and everybody buys a copy, what message are you sending to exploiters and speculators?

One would expect a bad or lackluster title to languish in the bargain bin, but not in the Intellivision world! It's straight to eBay for gougetastic prices. Meh.

dZ.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a problem in releasing anything on cart. As a matter of fact, I dreamt of doing that myself when I was programming Christmas Carol, and at the beginning it was a single screen small-ish demo with no cut scenes or frills.

The problem, in my view, is when a half-assed, unpolished toy program is published and advertised as the next greatest game, and sold at a premium price because... "Intellivision."

The fault also lies in the hard-core, must-own-everything collectors for encouraging this behaviour.

If a turd game is released for $60 + shipping and everybody buys a copy, what message are you sending to exploiters and speculators?

One would expect a bad or lackluster title to languish in the bargain bin, but not in the Intellivision world! It's straight to eBay for gougetastic prices. Meh.

dZ.

Oh , straight to the point !!! Luv it.

Don't forget the praise and ass kissing and such.

For such titles and farkles.

We have caused this behaviour and it has really got out of hand. In my opinion.

Got to luv a free market place. Easy pray for some ,with people that are addicted to the intellivision drug.

Man I need a another hit.... ;)

We need an Inty Czar to come up with the right label for stuff. I like “P2K” for all releases after 2000, long after the original game catalog was officially retired. I still think of “homebrew” as a game that is made in a home part time with limited publishing or limited polish or has ambiguous Copyright and when the games are gone they won’t be produced beyond a small number say 150 units. I think of “Independent” as 150+ units with full NIB/CIB treatment, with potential for unlimited (re)manufacture and reprints from the same publisher.

That would make Sydney Hunter an Independent.

That would make Piggy Bank a Homebrew.

That would make Missile Domination an Independent.

That would make Ms Night Stalker a Homebrew.

Had Intellivision Productions put out a new game, it would be Canon, part of the original 125(126?).

But all would be P2K to make it general enough to include everyone.

Ms Night Stalker would be a "mod" or "hack", whichever term you prefer. It's a modification of Night Stalker so most of the code was written at Mattel and therefore not a homebrew. Not to take away from the work that was done here, it takes skill to analyze one of these games and make improvements.

Intellivision Productions did release a number of officially licensed, but never before released games. At least a half dozen of them or more were released for the first time on compilation CD back in 1998. Deep Pockets might have been first released as a download in 1997. You can include them in any list you want, doesn't really matter.

I never understood why some of the people that have made "homebrews" on cartridge insist that they will never make more cartridges. I know with boxes and overlays there is some upfront costs that makes it impractical. But with cartridges you can literally make one at a time if you want. It does keep the collectable value up, but why not sell more cartridges for those that want to play the game?

I never understood why some of the people that have made "homebrews" on cartridge insist that they will never make more cartridges. I know with boxes and overlays there is some upfront costs that makes it impractical. But with cartridges you can literally make one at a time if you want. It does keep the collectable value up, but why not sell more cartridges for those that want to play the game?

I'll tell you my view, it may be different from others. The reason I don't wish to re-release Christmas Carol is that, in order to do so, it would cause a new "variant" to exist, leading to a new artificial pricing scheme.

I do not wish to promote nor condone that sort of behaviour in the community.

300 units were made and sold, and I think that tops the actual demand for those who want to play the game.

I give away the ROM for free to anybody who wants to play the game, so there is no reason to make more cartridges. Besides, the game ran its course and I rather work on new titles.

dZ.

• Like 3

This thread is a great example of "Threads Gone Wild!".

With Piggy Bank we choose not to keep making copies. We did a good run, close to 150 when all is said and done. I flirted with the idea of a release with a Box treatment but thought, in the end that would violate the premise of what inspired the creation of the game.

Atari Age is a strict mistress. Somewhere between sadomasochism, narcissisim and amusment.

Which is interesting because you are the best box collector of all of us here! :)

• Like 1

I'll tell you my view, it may be different from others. The reason I don't wish to re-release Christmas Carol is that, in order to do so, it would cause a new "variant" to exist, leading to a new artificial pricing scheme.

I do not wish to promote nor condone that sort of behaviour in the community.

300 units were made and sold, and I think that tops the actual demand for those who want to play the game.

I give away the ROM for free to anybody who wants to play the game, so there is no reason to make more cartridges. Besides, the game ran its course and I rather work on new titles.

dZ.

I do like this comment, but there was another thing I have to mention.

William Moeller paid $2,000. dollars to GroovyBee to program Hovver Bovver which never happened.

Thus he sold the half-cut version to recoup the losses as the boxes,overlays and instructions were already paid for as well.

He was going to be out a lot of money, pretty much putting him out of the Intellivisioin game making process.

Fortunately, he got some money out of a bad situation and soon we will have Miner 2049er and Defender of the Crown. Dale W.

(...)

dZ.

but if all game components of the new run are identical to those of the previous one nobody will consider it as a variant.

Not even me :lol:

(hint hint, in favor of those who don't have that game in cart format and spend a lot of money to grab a copy when they find one on ePay)

btw and egoistically, I hope you will work on new titles instead of wasting your time on a re-release