IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

Yep, your list is great too rev! ;)

I think the only 1 of these you missed was the 2 versions of old school.

Also when and are you still releasing air raid to everybody?

Thanks!

if Rev aims to perfection, his list misses some other minor, but existing variations:

- Lost Caves of Kroz, The (fixed ROM for PAL format) (2015?)

- Lost Caves of Kroz, The (test copies released in box) (2014): info here

- Christmas Carol (fixed ROM for PAL format) (2012?)

- Dreadnaught Factor, The (fixed ROM, finally!, for PAL format) (2018): info here

- Laser Sharks (updated ROM) (2018)

- Jr. Pac-Man (fixed ROM) (2018)

- Spina the Bee (updated ROM) (2015?)

btw, Rev's list is awesome!

• Like 1

I agree if we are looking at a list of every game ever released....(available at some point in some way to the general public). Then test carts and protos etc start to push the list too far.

But for a list that is trying to document every homebrew item ever created then hey why not throw them on there for historical value ;)

You can't include every prototype cart.

And was the updated rom for Kroz not about a level that was too hard?

you're right, but that proto was a bit special: it was publicly "released" ("First come first serve") in five copies in box and with label. That's why I suggest to include it in Rev's list.

Of course, feel free to disagree :)

if Rev aims to perfection, his list misses some other minor, but existing variations:

- Lost Caves of Kroz, The (fixed ROM for PAL format) (2015?)

- Lost Caves of Kroz, The (test copies released in box) (2014): info here

- Christmas Carol (fixed ROM for PAL format) (2012?)

- Dreadnaught Factor, The (fixed ROM, finally!, for PAL format) (2018): info here

- Laser Sharks (updated ROM) (2018)

- Jr. Pac-Man (fixed ROM) (2018)

- Spina the Bee (updated ROM) (2015?)

btw, Rev's list is awesome!

Oh, there's actually quite a few versions of Christmas Carol out there. It's mind-boggling. Check this out:

-dZ.

true, I remember. After all, who could be better informed on that than you

Yeah. I specifically didnt include the handful of rom and test carts. The list is mainly for items that were available to everyone kind of available in some form. If that makes sense.

Yes, I understand, but there are still several variants of Carol in cartridges out there:

• Christmas Carol 2.29 - Contains critical bug that crashes upon start of Boss Level.
    • CGE 2012 Standard CIB
    • CGE 2012 Special Edition CIB (clear shell and autographed)
  • Christmas Carol 2.34 - Fixed critical bug, but includes a timing bug that crashes only on PAL systems. Added "build screen." Fixed other bugs: "Perfect Bonus" points "tick" sound effect did not work; "Game-Over" jingle broke sound effects at the end of "Practice Mode"; added sound effects to cut-scenes #5 and #7; and other minor ones.
    • Sent cart-only to replace CGE 2012 Standard
    • Sent cart-only to replace CGE 2012 Special Edition (clear shell)
    • Sold generally CIB
  • Christmas Carol 2.36 - Fixed PAL timing bug. Fixed also an easter egg that never triggered.
    • Sent cart-only to replace standard edition
    • Sold generally CIB

Revision 2.36 is the last one published by LTO Productions. You can tell which revision you have by entering the magic code "00000000" (that's the number zero, eight times) during the Title Screen sequence, after the music starts playing. If nothing happens, you have the original revision 2.29 released in CGE with the boss level bug.

-dZ.

Yes, I understand, but there are still several variants of Carol in cartridges out there:

• Christmas Carol 2.29 - Contains critical bug that crashes upon start of Boss Level.
    • CGE 2012 Standard CIB
    • CGE 2012 Special Edition CIB (clear shell and autographed)
  • Christmas Carol 2.34 - Fixed critical bug, but includes a timing bug that crashes only on PAL systems. Added "build screen." Fixed other bugs: "Perfect Bonus" points "tick" sound effect did not work; "Game-Over" jingle broke sound effects at the end of "Practice Mode"; added sound effects to cut-scenes #5 and #7; and other minor ones.
    • Sent cart-only to replace CGE 2012 Standard
    • Sent cart-only to replace CGE 2012 Special Edition (clear shell)
    • Sold generally CIB
  • Christmas Carol 2.36 - Fixed PAL timing bug. Fixed also an easter egg that never triggered.
    • Sent cart-only to replace standard edition
    • Sold generally CIB

Revision 2.36 is the last one published by LTO Productions. You can tell which revision you have by entering the magic code "00000000" (that's the number zero, eight times) during the Title Screen sequence, after the music starts playing. If nothing happens, you have the original revision 2.29 released in CGE with the boss level bug.

-dZ.

So you want them added on my list?

• 2 weeks later...

So the air raid early bird prge release is not on here.

Was a game actually released?

As well as the Defender of the Crown demo cart.

Hover Bover had the half cut

Demos will not be listed.

Bc's quest for tires had a limited and standard edition.

Christmas Carol had a CGE and standard edition.

Copter command had a limited and standard edition.

What is the difference between versions?

DK Arcade also had the loose cart with 1 page manual.

Old school had the loose cart with box upgrade kit and the standard.

Updated

I believe the actual air raid game was released at prge. I don't have 1 though so maybe rev can verify that.

Makes sense to not list demos to me ;)

Bcs quest had slightly different color boxes and standard came with only 1 overlay. I think maybe better quality box on the limited too.

Cge Christmas carol had a clear shell I believe....that may be the only difference...dz?

Limited copter command had huge oversized box and came with a toy helicopter and extra seasonal manual versions. And cnc cut metal copter.

The CGE Christmas Carol does have a clear shell and an older build of the game which lacks some Easter Eggs and has at least one major bug which prevents it from reaching the Boss Level.

The game was patched and a replacement cartridge was offered to purchasers, but they were allowed to keep their original broken carts, which are probably still sealed-in-box.

The game was later patched with additional bug fixes and Easter Eggs in subsequent releases, specifically after a defect affecting PAL consoles was discovered.

The CGE Special Edition copies, however, still contain the exact same broken build released at CGE -- it is truly a collector's item now (since it sucks for playing due to the bugs).

I would classify it as a separate edition.

dZ.

• Like 1

I believe the actual air raid game was released at prge. I don't have 1 though so maybe rev can verify that.

Makes sense to not list demos to me ;)

Bcs quest had slightly different color boxes and standard came with only 1 overlay. I think maybe better quality box on the limited too.

Cge Christmas carol had a clear shell I believe....that may be the only difference...dz?

Limited copter command had huge oversized box and came with a toy helicopter and extra seasonal manual versions. And cnc cut metal copter.

1. Added the BCs Quest versions.

2. Not adding the differences to Carol. Clear cart is not enough, bug fixes are not enough. You might say Kroz and Spinna had changes, but those were gameplay changes. Kroz basically gave you the answer to level 7 and Spinna updated movement to be better? Or to skip levels?

3. Was that Limited Copter command the result of a contest? If so, contest variations will not be added.

1. Added the BCs Quest versions.

2. Not adding the differences to Carol. Clear cart is not enough, bug fixes are not enough. You might say Kroz and Spinna had changes, but those were gameplay changes. Kroz basically gave you the answer to level 7 and Spinna updated movement to be better? Or to skip levels?

3. Was that Limited Copter command the result of a contest? If so, contest variations will not be added.

Well, if you want to get pedantic about it, in the Special Edition you only have 7 levels, because it is impossible to reach the 8th. So, the later editions essentially unlocked an entirely new level and game ending.

And if you want to get reaaaally pedantic, that new level, being the Boss Level, contains a significant change in gameplay which is not available in the previous 7 levels.

dZ.

I see a trend here just like the Animals.. ;p

All variations are equal but some variations are more equal than others..

Which is the reason why I discontinued to try to get the community to come together to create the list. It failed. This is my list as I see it, if others make use of it, great. If not so be it.

Some of the recent item changes made sense to me. I made the changes. Some didn't. I didn't make the changes. No discussion necessary as to why or why not something is added, it is my list as I see it.

• Like 4

I love your list Soulbuster. Keep up the great work. You have to draw the line somewhere. Your list and the list on my site can co-exist peacefully without all the Animal Farm conspiracy doublespeak! Lmao

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1