IGNORED

Soulbuster's Non-Variant List of Homebrew Games Released

You cant really discount a game that received a full CIB treatment versus tossed on to a cd-rom. Now If say, Hard Hat received another CIB (or cart) release with new box art or changed the color of the building, then I wouldnt add a new line item for the second.

Im actually fine with the Lock N Chase being added I guess.

But I myself would of had seperate line items for all the donkey kong versions and 4tris as well. :P

• Like 1

I'm not arguing and really don't care either way (I'm just glad someone took the initiative to make and maintain a list :D ), but just to opine...I'd probably vote to include unreleased games since they never previously had a physical release. I'd probably leave box variants and re-releases (4-Tris, Space Patrol, etc) as single entries. I'd probably reclassify Mouse Trap Reissue to the same category as Overlay Sets, Repro Boxes, Posters, etc).

I suppose it just depends whether we want this list to be a game checklist or an all inclusive variant checklist...if such a thing were possible. The latter should probably get its own list. I kind of like the following criteria:

*Physical homebrew release (cart or CIB)

*Includes a 'significantly unique' ROM

*At least 30 copies produced and available for sale

Of course, I have no interest in defining 'significantly unique' :D Regarding the 30 copy minimum, if too few are released it probably shouldn't count as a 'release', but I'm somewhat ok counting 'limited' releases. 30 may be too few, but we decided to include Blix, so 30 seemed a nice minimum.

• Like 2

I dismiss the Lock N Chase addition, that is a variant to me or any ROM addition for that matter.Same as DK2 Special edition. Tim Naber started this thread and has now self promoted himself to the Homebrew list expert, yet mocking it at the same time.

I only collect games that i can find a way to be CIB.

I am happy with my Elekronite Mine Hunter and my David Harley BETTER version of Same Game and Robots than the original.

In my eyes, and in your own collectors... that is all that matters. I am at peace with all of that!. No time or money for variants, and probably no money in the future to keep picking up every homebrew.

Most likely I will find out which Homebrew games I love and play and sell the rest off, such as Robot Rubble and League of Light which are crummy games, yet look great in a box.

I think that is all I have to say, Wolfy out!

• Like 1

If we're really discussing what games should be on this collected list then... only those releases that have been offered to the public/ strangers.

BC wasn't offered then it is a private release. I know I've had some private releases...

Hmmm.... well, it's unfortunate that these "secret squirrel" games are being produced where everyone is not offered a chance to purchase or play them but I suppose that is up to the discretion of the programmer or manufacturer. Doesn't really encourage me to continue collecting for the game system because the only chance I'll get to have these games is when some jackass on eBay finally posts it for ten times what it's worth and everyone not given the chance to initially purchase it falls over themselves trying to buy it. Perhaps I'll spend my money elsewhere...

• Like 1

The question here is who decides who is in the Exclusive club if there is such a thing...

Do you have a copy of B.C. for Intellivision? Where you in the private PM group thread discussing its release and ordering details? If not then yes, there is such a thing. Who decides? Well, I guess whoever publishes the game.

Do you have a copy of B.C. for Intellivision? Where you in the private PM group thread discussing its release and ordering details? If not then yes, there is such a thing. Who decides? Well, I guess whoever publishes the game.

could it not be a way of a publisher rewarding loyalty to customers that have supported them over the years. Has it not been part of business practices for centuries. And if you really think about it. What we don't know won't hurt us.

Sometimes being oblivious is a good thing. ;) lol

Moving on from this , one last rant. :)

In life/business/Country which I don't agree to in the most part. Things like this has always occurred and been part of the fabric.

This is just my thought on this subject not meant to ruffle anybody's feathers.

Cheers

Edited by m-crew

could it not be a way of a publisher rewarding loyalty to customers that have supported them over the years. Has it not been part of business practices for centuries. And if you really think about it. What we don't know won't hurt us.

Sometimes being oblivious is a good thing. ;) lol

Moving on from this , one last rant. :)

In life/business/Country which I don't agree to in the most part. Things like this has always occurred and been part of the fabric.

This is just my thought on this subject not meant to ruffle anybody's feathers.

Cheers

I don't care either way, I've been part of those threads in the past and have chosen not to participate. I was just responding to your comment saying "if there is such a thing": there is. Like I said above, the publishers do whatever they want. That's their prerogative.

Cheers!

-dZ.

I don't care either way, I've been part of those threads in the past and have chosen not to participate. I was just responding to your comment saying "if there is such a thing": there is. Like I said above, the publishers do whatever they want. That's their prerogative.

Cheers!

-dZ.

Cheers my friend !!!

:)

I like these Definitions. If this list defines homebrew releases, then Lock N Chase and Mouse Trap would be removed. Same Game and Robots remains as one listing along with 4-Tris, Space Patrol, Kroz and any others. The DKs remain as listed because of significant ROM changes. BCs Quest and the other privately released game remain. They were after all released and each had more than 30 copies, I am assuming.

All variations are mentioned on the list and if you want to collect all variations, you are welcome to go that route. But for me, I have at least one variation of each and have a complete homebrew game set.

Comments?

It sounds like this list could satisfy more of its potential users by transforming it into a table. Here is a snip of my Itellisearch spreadsheet that might illustrate my point:

intellisearch snippet

So some collectors might want to check off the first column, while Cmart and Rev will duke it out as to who can put a stranglehold on the second column.
Edited by TestaOn

It sounds like this list could satisfy more of its potential users by transforming it into a table. Here is a snip of my Itellisearch spreadsheet that might illustrate my point:

So some collectors might want to check off the first column, while Cmart and Rev will duke it out as to who can put a stranglehold on the second column.

Do you have to be in the right club to view that image? When I click on it, I get:

You do not have permission to view this image

1. 4-Tris [Original, Philly Classic]
  2. 4-Tris [intelligentvision]
  3. 4-Tris [LTO]
  4. Adventures of Tron
  5. BC's Quest for Tires
  6. Blix
  7. Blow Out
  8. Boulder Dash
  9. Brickout
  10. Choplifter
  11. Christmas Carol
  12. Copter Command
  13. D2K Arcade
  14. D2K Arcade Special Edition
  15. DK Arcade
  16. Donkey Kong
  17. Deep Pockets
  18. Desert Bus
  19. Flappy Bird
  20. Flintstones Keyboard Fun
  21. Game Factory
  22. Gosub
  23. Hard Hat
  24. Hover Bovver [1/2 cut release]
  25. Illusions
  26. Inty BASIC Showcase Volume 1
  27. King of the Mountain
  28. Land Battle
  29. League Of Light
  30. Lock 'N' chase (8K Collapsing Lupin)
  31. Lost Caves of Kroz, The [Original, Updated]
  32. Magic Carousel
  33. Match 5
  34. Minehunter [Elektronite]
  35. Minehunter [intelligentvision]
  36. Missile Domination
  37. Mouse Trap
  38. Ms Night Stalker
  39. Ms Pac Man
  40. Mystic Castle
  41. Number Jumble
  42. Old School
  43. Paddle Party
  44. Piggy Bank
  45. Princess Quest [CBS, Mattel]
  46. Robot Rubble
  47. Rocky & Bullwinkle
  48. Same Game & Robots [2005]
  49. Same Game & Robots [2012 Intellivoice]
  50. Scarfinger
  51. Space Cadet
  52. Space Cunt
  53. Space Patrol [2008, 2012]
  54. Space Raid [CBS, Mattel]
  55. Spina the Bee [standard, Upgraded]
  56. Stonix
  57. Super Chef BT
  58. Super Mine-Field
  59. Super Pro Baseball
  60. Super Pro NFL Football
  61. Super Pro Tennis
  62. Sydney Hunter [CBS, Coleco]
  63. Takeover
  64. Ultimate Pong
  65. Yogi's Frustration

Here is how I see the list. Once you start dismissing certain releases for petty reasons, then we must go back and revise the "125" list of original releases. Baseball is violating the 125 list big time. It should either be 123 or 124.

Edited by Rev

No one is dismissing certain releases for petty reasons.

How do you figure baseball is in violation of the original 125? There is the original 2 player only version, then World Championship with a 1 player mode, World Series a completely different game, Super Pro Baseball had the speed of the game increased.

4 significantly different games.

Something to challenge on the original 125 is Triple Challenge. Were the games included in that release changed at all or just collected together?

What are the significant differences of 4-Tris? of Minehunter? Same Game and Robots has only added voice, but plays the same?

Hover Bovver Half Cut, is a demo cart! none of the demo carts are part of the 125.

Lock N Chase does not have a significant difference from the released version. Mouse trap has no difference.

It all comes down to opinion amd a persons point of view.

Me...who care that baseball only had a player option added. Its still baseball. Remove from 125.

Adding voice and finishing gameplay elements on SGR is way more significant. Thus why I personally view them as two seperate game releases.

Well then what about the Christmas Carol clear cart....we have to draw the line here somewhere. If Mouse Trap is the same game in a CBS style box, a variant on the other 27 CBS box styles of Mousetrap.....Donkey Kong, Carnival...then we have to really count each as a different game.

I say, have the ROOT Game and it's SUB-Divisions. If I say put out a CIB version of Piggy Bank, but say add 5 more levels...is that a new game? What if it is the Exact Same ROM? But a CIB treatment?

Unless it is a serious updated ROM I think a game is a game. Any new box treatment is a variant. This is getting to be rocket science when it shouldn't be.

By making variants a NEW release you are creating an unnecessary hierachy. In the end this is all BS to make something more valuable then it should be. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

• Like 2

Adding a 1 player option to baseball added "Artificial Intelligence", whatever that meant back in the day. It is truly a significant upgrade. It is not like it was only changed so you can play against the computer, the computer player had to be intelligent about how it plays.

I do not have the first version of SGR so I can not compare them. Anyone have both that can do a comparison? I guess a good way to test it would be to use The SGR with voice without the voice module. Does it play the same as the first version without voice?

Any other comments?

Right now this is what I am thinking the list should be using this criteria:

1 4-Tris [Original, Philly Classic, LTO, Intelligentvision]
2 Adventures of Tron
3 BC's Quest for Tires
4 Blix
5 Blow Out
6 Boulder Dash
7 Brickout
8 Choplifter
9 Christmas Carol
10 Copter Command
11 D2K Arcade
12 D2K Arcade Special Edition
13 Donkey Kong Arcade [Elektronite DK Arcade, Intelligentvision]
14 Deep Pockets
15 Desert Bus
16 Flappy Bird
17 Flintstones Keyboard Fun
18 Game Factory
19 Gosub
20 Hard Hat
21 Illusions
22 Inty BASIC Showcase Volume 1
23 King of the Mountain
24 Land Battle
25 League Of Light

26 Lost Caves of Kroz, The [Original, Updated]
27 Magic Carousel
28 Match 5
29 Minehunter [Elektronite, Intelligentvision]
30 Missile Domination
31 Ms Night Stalker
32 Ms Pac Man

33 Mystic Castle
34 Number Jumble
35 Old School
36 Paddle Party
37 Piggy Bank
38 Princess Quest [CBS, Mattel]
39 Robot Rubble
40 Rocky & Bullwinkle
41 Same Game & Robots [2005, 2012]
42 Scarfinger
43 Space Cadet
44 Space Cunt
45 Space Patrol [2008, 2012]
46 Space Raid [CBS, Mattel]
47 Spina the Bee [standard, Upgraded]
48 Stonix
49 Super Chef BT
50 Super Mine-Field

51 Super Pro Baseball
52 Super Pro NFL Football
53 Super Pro Tennis
54 Sydney Hunter [CBS, Coleco]
55 Takeover
56 Ultimate Pong
57 Yogi's Frustration

58 A Private Release

Let us not forget that all this quibbling about game-play changes and redundant versions is because most people make a distinction between collecting all the games that were released in the heyday of the Intellivision (i.e., the original 125), versus the many variants that some publishers and developers have made of their home-brewed games, for sometimes trivial reasons like adding a box or combining two previous versions into one.

I'd bet you anything that if Intellivision Productions, Inc. started re-releasing the old 125, even with different boxes (or baggies), nobody here would suggest we should change that 125 master list number.

They would be a completely separate collection, if at all a collection on its own.

dZ.

• Like 1

Let us not forget that all this discussion about game-play changes and redundant versions is because most people make a distinction between collecting all the games that were released in the heyday of the Intellivision (i.e., the original 125), versus the many variants that some publishers and developers have made of their home-brewed games, for sometimes trivial reasons like adding a box or combining two previous versions into one.

I'd bet you anything that if Intellivision Productions, Inc. started re-releasing the old 125, even with different boxes (or baggies), nobody here would suggest we should change that 125 master list number.

They would be a completely separate collection, if at all a collection on its own.

dZ.

Fixed that for you.

You are right, there are those that would collect them as a collection of their own.

For myself, a new Spiker without game changes would be considered part of the 125, a variation. If I had the recently released version and not the first version, I would still consider having the full 125 with it. Reproduction boxes are also treated as part of the 125 Platinum.

This list is meant for the non-variant collector. This is why significant changes in the ROMs make them different, not packaging.

Edited by SoulBuster

Donkey Kong Arcade [Elektronite DK Arcade, Intelligentvision]

Stop the presses! I could of swore that "DK Arcade" was specifically NOT a donkey kong release.

I vote for seperate line item as it was sold and promoted NOT as donkey kong.

Amirite? Or is my memory going.....